Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

'Politics isn't going to wait for you': has Change UK missed its moment?

Everywhere he goes people come up to him and tell how brave he is, apparently.*

Modest too, I expect.

*Jimmy Hill
They probably should have made their move at the height of the vonc(s) against Corbyn and/or when Owen Smith challenged him. At one level they would have been accused of departing just at the point when Corbyn was weakest, but they might well have taken a few more MPs with them. As soon as he won again and particularly after the 2017 Gen Election, their moment had gone.

They probably should have made their move at the height of the vonc(s) against Corbyn and/or when Owen Smith challenged him. At one level they would have been accused of departing just at the point when Corbyn was weakest, but they might well have taken a few more MPs with them. As soon as he won again and particularly after the 2017 Gen Election, their moment had gone.

There never was a moment for them to do what they've done - they know what the appetite is for a centrist party comprised of (and run for) a professional political class, what the history is for new parties outside the established ones is in this country and what the support for them was in Labour actually was. They flounced off because they thought they'd be able to easily absorb the (to them, leaderless) Lib Dems and then coin it in as the party of Remain, but as with everything else that they've done since the summer of 2015 the plan did not survive contact with reality.

There never was a moment for them to do what they've done - they know what the appetite is for a centrist party comprised of (and run for) a professional political class, what the history is for new parties outside the established ones is in this country and what the support for them was in Labour actually was. They flounced off because they thought they'd be able to easily absorb the (to them, leaderless) Lib Dems and then coin it in as the party of Remain, but as with everything else that they've done since the summer of 2015 the plan did not survive contact with reality.
Oh, I agree, they've no working class roots and it's been largely a guardianista thing. But they've somehow managed to minimise the number of MPs who they've dragged into oblivion.

That would have been the worst possible time for them to do it. They genuinely thought they would win second time around, completely miscalculating everything. To leave then would just have looked like them being sulky children taking their ball home. They had to find some kind of point of principle to do it over, and something EU based would always be necessary to pull over the wet tories, if that was always their bag. Their just isn't really much of a market for that kind of Blairite managerialist politics any more.

'Politics isn't going to wait for you': has Change UK missed its moment?

Everywhere he goes people come up to him and tell how brave he is, apparently.*

Modest too, I expect.

*Jimmy Hill

seems they still have mates at the gaurdian willing to churn out desperate, turd polishing, puff pieces. "we didn't expect to be fighting an election so soon" really? Its been a very real possibility that the euro elections would happen since well before they left their parties

Mange UKs centre ground reminds me very much of the hole in a polo mint.

In fact I believe one of their rejected logo designs was very much like a mashup between goatse and a polo mint. They had an elaborate brand launch party lined up until the Mighty Boosh refused permission to use their eels song.

Can you just look at your ring, please. Thats it, the answers there, its in your brass eye. So take your sphincter and get out there.

They’re so near the truth with that memo but they’ve just missed it. The truth, that is, that they are the Lib Dems with less money, less support, no boots on the ground and no clear way of getting any of this. With the consequence that they aren’t going to swallow the Lib Dems, it’s going to be the other way round.
I didn’t expect to be right quite THIS quickly

Well I guess I'm in the West Midlands so the tinger candidate I believe will be on the ballot here is Stephen Dorrell, like a ghastly echo from Tory regimes past.

Back
Top Bottom