Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cats the movie has some awesomely scathing reviews...

Busy Malone is great.

Lala land was dire imo.

We have Old Possums Book of Practical Cats .... Tbf some of the poems are great, some are a bit odd. I feel no compulsion to watch the film.

Maybe a sleeper hit on DVD...
Yeah. Wasn’t that the case with Rocky Horror Picture Show and Blade Runner?

This Cats flick may well turn out to be a future classic to be treasured for years to come.
A sleeper hit is a small film with little promotion behind it, which unexpectedly turns out to be a theatrical success due to good word of mouth.

Cats is an expensive film with plenty of publicity which may still become a so-bad-it’s-good cult classic like Showgirls. It also may do quite well once it’s released due to its inbuilt audience who love the show, so I would write of it’s box office chances yet. On the other hand it’s up against the new Star Wars. A "future classic treasured for years" it won’t be, this is going to be no Blade Runner. :D

Last edited:
Page after page of stinker reviews. Beginning to feel that if i get dragged to see this it might not be too bad if/when I fall asleep and snore, or laugh at inappropriate times. Tits on a cat what's not to like.

I spent 25 years of my working life closely associated with musicals, amateur ones mainly.

Some I love, some I hate and some, like Cats, I'm rather indifferent too but on the whole as a genre I do rather like them.

And if anyone wants to come and see me as the Wicked Witch of the West in "Wizard of Oz" you can do in April next year :D:D:thumbs:

Last edited:
I love musicals, although more on stage than on film. My favourite at the moment is Bat Out of Hell - it is coming back to the West End in 2020 and I will go and see it again. I have also seen Joseph and the Multicoloured Dreamcoat many times, including in 1974, and Billy Elliot.

As a child, we watched the Sound of Music every Christmas (everyone did in those days)

I tried to watch La La Land, to see what all the fuss was about, but got bored less than half way through so never finished it.

I missed Cats when it was on the west end stage, but it was revived a couple of years ago and I went to see it then, having thought I had been missing out. I don't think anyone famous was in it, and it wasn't on for long, so I kind of figured its day had been and gone. I am glad I saw it, and the staging was wonderful, and the costumes were beautiful, the dancing was great... but it was a bit tedious and it felt more like a ballet with a few songs than musical theatre. I didn't work out the story.

I love the bad reviews which are making me want to see the film, even though I, like everyone else, can see how poorly the costumes and staging translate to screen.

I’ve always liked movie musicals but took to stage musicals relatively late in life. Once I reached gay middle age, my Sondheim-gene kicked into action and I went to see his shows whenever they were staged at a reasonable price in London. I could never afford West End prices unless there was some special offer but the likes of the Donmar Warehouse, the Southwark Playhouse and Menier Chocolate Factory do fantastic productions for £20 to £40 a pop. Sondheim was my entry drug into musical theatre and then I went to see other shows. Of the Sondheim shows the lesser known Passion at the Donmar blew me away and On the Town at the ENO was one of the best things I’ve ever seen.

However nothing could make me go see an Andrew Lloyd Webber show, just like nothing can make watch a Michael Bay movie. Loathe the music, loathe the man and something like Cats or Starlight Express looks like utter shite just from looking at one still of the show.

Last edited:
The Daily Mail likes it, so it must be good:

“Moreover, I detect a strong whiff of metropolitan snobbery towards Lloyd Webber, one of the film's producers, who is so often and so unfairly belittled.
The truth, unpalatable to the liberal so-called intelligentsia, is that he's a genius, and a versatile one at that.”

Will Cats be the latest box office smash that the critics mauled? | Daily Mail Online

He predicted it will be a box office smash despite the critical mauling but according to early box office takings, it’s already flopped big time.

Last edited:
My youngest wanted to see it so I took her today.
We both thought it was the worst film we've ever seen.
I do hate musicals though and it was that with nothing inbetween.
Made no sense, no plot at all, we didn't know what a jellicle cat was, all the lead characters were shit, especially Idris, and the endgame seemed to be getting fired at the sun. Wtf?
How has this been on the west end for 40 years?

There's a thread on twitter about Starlight Express. I'd forgotten it existed! I've been in hysterics laughing. Basically how it's Cats, but on roller skates. :D

It's here...

Starlight Express is abysmal. Take it from me! It has no plot, the songs are uniformly dreadful and the only thing it had going for it, the rollerskating through the audience thing, well that was shit as well as it was conducted at approx 2mph behind plastic screens.

Back
Top Bottom