Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carpetright, 2 Tulse Hill, to become a Sainsburys.

Although these types of forums end up being very long, I'd strongly recommend going if you are serious about your views. You can get a much better understanding about how people feel, and also get your own views across to elected reps who - I guess - won't read much / anything from here in the bear pit.
It's obviously important to go to along to these meetings but sometimes what's said on urban can also have an impact.

I went to a long council meeting this morning, and they'd already taken on board some of the criticisms directly raised here about their new website, despite the thread only going up 12 hours or so before!

I wouldn't want to say stuff here doesn't get read - we know it does. But I do want to encourage people to get out there beyond their keyboards (something I've always been too guilty of myself). It's time consuming but worth it I think. Face to face is less easily dismissed as the ranting mob. ;)

(Good to hear you've been pitching in aswell).

I wouldn't want to say stuff here doesn't get read - we know it does. But I do want to encourage people to get out there beyond their keyboards (something I've always been too guilty of myself). It's time consuming but worth it I think. Face to face is less easily dismissed as the ranting mob. ;)

(Good to hear you've been pitching in aswell).
I had a looong meeting today and you do need considerable patience at some of these things, but sometimes you really have to get involved in the 'real world' as well :D

I went to (most of) tonight's community session, run by Chuka with reps from Lambeth Council and Sainsbury's on the panel.

There was a good turn out from the local community, and although the majority were opposed or concerned, there were also some people who were pro.

Some of the points raised included:
- Traffic (Both customer vehicles, and delivery / waste collection, Crossing safety on BWL, Impact/viability of the existing national cycle route, Arodene Rd Rat Run)
- Employment Policy (Hire of Local Staff, Staff Continuity, London Living Wage, Hire of local young people for *paid* training/apprenticeship).
- Customer Engagement (Benefit of familiar counter staff, relationship in independents, vs. Checkout or No Staff, i.e. Self Checkout)
- Community Relationships in General (including accepting the Brixton Pound).
- The Council acting for the community, beyond it's basic legal mandate re: planning

One overriding theme was impact on local independents. Sainsbury's reps claimed other stores of theirs had been a positive catalyst, one council rep said the evidence was the opposite.

Not everyone was anti/concerned, and people who were pro were invited (by Chuka) to have their say, and were by and large treated respectfully by everyone else.

Anyone else here attend? Perhaps you can fill out some of the inevitable gaps in my list above.

Although these types of forums end up being very long, I'd strongly recommend going if you are serious about your views. You can get a much better understanding about how people feel, and also get your own views across to elected reps who - I guess - won't read much / anything from here in the bear pit.

Hi Paolo

That is a very good summary. I agree with you that it's very positive to go to the meeting, although online discussion has merit too. The point was made in the meeting that a lot of residents in our area are not online. Some are though obviously, and one chap nimbly collected 18 of our email addresses after the meeting and has set up a googlegroup called unexpecteditem@googlegroups.com (hehe). One interesting planning conspiracy theory has already been circulated.

I tweeted from @StMatthewsTRA during the meeting so for more of an in-running flavour here is what I managed to capture.

Full house here in th St Matthew's Tenants Hall for the Sainsburys PQT. View photo The panel. pic.twitter.com/BQZL9cnv

Chuka says he did the same PQT format for Abbeville Road Sainsburys.

Sainsburys explain their vision:10k square foot, open July, 24 car parking spaces

Ruth Ling explains why no consultation was legally needed. Planning applications will happen now re fascia, refuse etc.

Marcia Cameron reminds Sainsburys that the site is on Rush Common.

Local parent voices concern about increased traffic at the junction, asks if any plans to make it safer.

Sandra M. on behalf of local shops asks how many Sainsburys. Chuka says 8 within one mile .Where are we going to get our carpet? she adds.

Residents rep asks whether Lambeth can take a lead on doing things a better way so residents don't feel ambushed.

Lambeth Licensing officer says her hands are tied under current licensing regime. All valid applications must be allowed.She adds that we cannot tell Sainsburys what to do. Unless it goes to Committee.

Have to refer if 1. Prevention of crime and disorder. 2. Public safety. 3. Prevention of public nuisance eg litter .4. Protecting children from harm.

Chuka asks, to what extent do you care about the impact on local businesses.

Sainsbury's project manager would look to act on whatever improvements suggested in planning process.

Sainsbury's Property Communications girl says increased footfall benefits other stores eg Abbeville Road. Ruth Ling sets the record straight with specific examples of long-standing Abbeville Road shops that have closed or are on their last legs.

Chuka sympathizes with council as Labour amendments would have enabled them to take competition into consideration.

Sainsburys say it won't be 24 hours.

Applause in room for Josephine Ave resident who urges council to be confrontational with supermarkets. Let them take you to court!

Two more residents ask what can be done? What extra services can Sainsburys offer such as pharmacy, recycling? What are traffic projections?

Ruth Ling on traffic management: yes, planning application can require developer to offset costs

Marcia Cameron on confronting, we can include it in our local plan ( UDP). Also can use licensing laws. Already 6 or 7 places in Tulse Hill.that sell alcohol. We could declare Tulse Hill a saturation zone.Marcia hopes Sainsbury will refrain from promoting alcohol.

Marcia puts the rumour to S. Is it true you recruit friends of friends not people from the local area. Chuka adds living wage

Sainsbury says prices would be lower than in a convenience store. They are a responsible retailer wrt alcohol.

Sainsburys admit no examples of changing course due to opposition. Claim they employ in a 4 mile radius on average.

Esther challenges them on why opening hours in application form are 6-12 and they are saying 7-11. Sets them straight on form.

Resident asks how we will sleep through deliveries.

25 year resident laments effect of staff rotation. Another resident foresees worsening rat runs in Arodene, Lambert, Helix

Mary from Tulse Hill Forum notes we need a different model on how supermarkets could work with local community. They should make overtures.

Ros Griffiths says what's missing from the Sainsbury's "vision" is a commitment to the London Living Wage. She says we want something back. We are under no illusion why you're there. Let's do some business.

Resident asks councillors to use Rush Common as bargaining chip. Sainsbury says they have Rush Common consent already.

Age UK rep asks if you will run a tab for OAP"s and if they will be allowed to chat.

Marcia notes that traffic calming measures need to be resident led.

Esther reminds Sainsbury they should send her a nice email and points residents to blue notices. Chuka urges residents toi put in representations by 18th Feb. Chuka's website will have the details.

Sainsburys says they have a scheme to increase uptake of retail careers for16-24. Local organizers point out online application is a problem

Chuka invites hands up from any pro votes. There are about 4. A Jo Avenue resident says she prefers a big store to "sleazy" fast food shops.

Daughter of local shopkeeper counters that they are not rude and their shop is not rubbish.

Question about the cycle path on Brixton Water Lane.

Former small business says small businesses have been put out of business by high rents and rates.

Chuka points finger at central government on rates and agrees it is a massive issue.

Project Manager says he does care, is up for having another meeting and meet 'the local youth'. Construction would be in reasonable hours.

Chuka gets a show of hands on who sometimes shops at a Sainsbury's and who will probably use this one. Lots of hands go up. He says let's be honest with ourselves: we are trying to protect the local traders from our own shopping habits. Begs Sainsbury to listen to the points raised. 'For God's sake work with the community...I don't want all our shopping streets to end up looking the same.'

Oh, one thing...I chatted to the Sainsbury's Project Manager after the meeting and asked if he was aware of the buried skating rink. He was not.

Is it a hyperlocal urban myth that the skating rink is was preserved when Carpetright was built?

Oh, one thing...I chatted to the Sainsbury's Project Manager after the meeting and asked if he was aware of the buried skating rink. He was not.

Is it a hyperlocal urban myth that the skating rink is was preserved when Carpetright was built?
I've not heard that myself, but it's plausible.

Not heard that one. :D

I tweeted from @StMatthewsTRA during the meeting so for more of an in-running flavour here is what I managed to capture.
Thanks for that - great stuff :)

I've no idea how the proposed 10,000 square feet store compares in size to the Acre Lane Tesco (or anywhere else) but 24 parking spaces doesn't seem enough for a large store. What happens when the shop is really busy and the car park is full, e.g. on a Saturday afternoon? Loads of cars are gonna be circling the area looking for somewhere to park. This is potentially a serious problem I reckon.

There was no mention in the report, but I assume the Sainsburys Local on Brixton Hill would remain open?

Will Sainsbury's have to pay any s106 money, or other similar contribition? (Local Infrastructure Levy or whatever it is called now.)

What happens when the shop is really busy and the car park is full, e.g. on a Saturday afternoon? Loads of cars are gonna be circling the area looking for somewhere to park. This is potentially a serious problem I reckon.

I think that's the biggest problem with this place. They will end up with queues of cars waiting to get in and out of the carpark and blocking a busy junction. The resident's parking is only controlled Mon - Friday so the local streets will also be rammed. I'm guessing that there must be a potential solution to that but haven't heard anyone recognise the problem yet.

The Sainsbury's on Clapham High Street has over 200 parking places.

I think that's the biggest problem with this place. They will end up with queues of cars waiting to get in and out of the carpark and blocking a busy junction. The resident's parking is only controlled Mon - Friday so the local streets will also be rammed. I'm guessing that there must be a potential solution to that but haven't heard anyone recognise the problem yet.

The Sainsbury's on Clapham High Street has over 200 parking places.

I guess cars will overflow up Josephine Avenue, which is not ideal.

However, the avenue is usually empty of cars because of vehicle crime.

Often, the only cars parked there are car-club ones.

I guess cars will overflow up Josephine Avenue, which is not ideal.
How is that "not ideal"? Seems perfect to me.

Hardly anyone parks in Josephine Avenue at the moment and it makes me sick to see traffic wardens ticketing a single car in an otherwise empty street. The only reason it's a CPZ is to stop people in Appach Road from parking there for nothing.

How is that "not ideal"? Seems perfect to me.

Hardly anyone parks in Josephine Avenue at the moment and it makes me sick to see traffic wardens ticketing a single car in an otherwise empty street. The only reason it's a CPZ is to stop people in Appach Road from parking there for nothing.

Good point.

Anyway I am broadly pleased about Brixton getting a second 'Big Four' supermarket to compete with Tesco.

I don't believe that having a number of glorified corner shops should prevent Sainsbury's from building a proper supermarket.

Especially when you have a family to feed.

I will still use the market.

I still don't understand how the parking thing is gonna work. leanderman Will you still drive to the new Sainsbury's even though it's just around the corner? Apparently some of the locals can't do it by foot because their shopping list is so extensive:

BCfgsc9CMAAyezO.jpg

Thanks for post. Interesting posts from Effrasurfer and Brixton Hatter.

I go to some meetings but not everyone can. I cannot to every meeting that I might want to. The internet can give people another way of expressing there views.

Politicians will use media. Such as TV and radio.

Yes this is a bear pit for politicians. See what happened to Lee Jasper. He is someone who is in his element in meetings. Here he was floundering. Why? The internet can be a leveller. The politician cannot set the agenda here.

Thats why politicians do not come on here (much a few Cllrs do sometimes). Its not a situation that they can control unlike meetings set up by them.

There was a good quote from Benjamin Zephaniah (poet) when he was interviewed about Queens Market in Newham and the threat from supermarkets. He talked about how supermarkets could never create the community interactions which the market and local shops did. He said:
"I have spoken to people who recall when the customers were all German immigrants and someone else who remembers when they were all Jewish. I go there sometimes and you see the white, middle-aged guys who sell to the Asian ladies and have learned a bit of Urdu."

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that there is research that supermarkets do not help the local economy and also , long term, deskill work.

However I think the idea that that modern shopping reduces community interactions is simplistic. I know up to a point it does.

But I do make the effort to say hello to the cashiers in Iceland for example. Some of them do recognize me now.

I also do the same in the the Pret a manger I use in the west end. A few of them are on my FB now.

This is not a support of supermarkets or coffee bar chains.

It how to try to find ways interacting with people in modern capitalism. It can be done.

Back
Top Bottom