Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carpetright, 2 Tulse Hill, to become a Sainsburys.

no. the crossroads has just two, rather than four, pedestrian crossing points, on the south and east sides.

there is no safe way, at that junction, for people from the st matthews area to get across to the park, or up to the school

it is a problem. and will get worse with sainsbury there

no. the crossroads has just two, rather than four, pedestrian crossing points, on the south and east sides.

there is no safe way, at that junction, for people from the st matthews area to get across to the park, or up to the school

it is a problem. and will get worse with sainsbury there
In which case I stand corrected!

Assuming the new supermarket is approved I'd have thought altering the sequence of the lights and installing a crossing would be essential.

Will it have a carpark? Is there enough space for that? Can't see the point of another express/local branch, but the neatest non tesco, full-sized supermarket is east dulwich, I think. So direct competition with tesco acre lane would be good.

or you could pop up the road to the graveyard end of west norwood where you can avail yourself of a tesco, a sainsbury and a co-op, all within 10 metres of one another, with another tesco and co-op half a mile down the road. mmmm, tasty tasty choice.

if you have a car, you can drive to the east dulwich mega sainsburys. plenty of parking there.

Right, yes. That was the point I was making. The nearest proper non tesco is east dulwich. Which, for people who need a car for whatever reason, is quite a long way to go and petrol costs etc are quite high. This would be good for them.

I wouldn't call East Dulwich far, and why should our neighborhoods be constantly re-engineered to suit god damned motorists? Frankly, i'd rather not have a giant parking lot at the end of my street. So what if petrol costs a lot... don't like it? buy a bike! shop locally, and more often!

not having a go at you, but this constant kow-towing to drivers and their specious needs does get tiresome.

I wouldn't call East Dulwich far, and why should our neighborhoods be constantly re-engineered to suit god damned motorists? Frankly, i'd rather not have a giant parking lot at the end of my street. So what if petrol costs a lot... don't like it? buy a bike! shop locally, and more often!

not having a go at you, but this constant kow-towing to drivers and their specious needs does get tiresome.
The elderly and disabled, plus single parents with no choice but to bring their small children shopping, all find using a car for grocery shopping. All three groups are more than usually likely to be on lower incomes, but may have occasional use of a car, or have budgeted their own because, on balance, it makes their life more do-able.

Not every driver is a selfish cunt, rolling in cash.

The minority of people who find themselves in such circumstances and really can't travel the extra 0.5 miles to a perfectly servicable supermarket could surely avail themselves of the home delivery service offered by most major outlets. I really see little justification for turning every available plot of land into yet another depressingly predictable supertescoburys.

So what did people do before the supermarkets decided they want a presence on every single street in London? Somehow we managed didn't we.

There's a full size Sainsburys by Clapham Common tube, which is only 5/10 minutes from Brixton by bus.

The elderly and disabled, plus single parents with no choice but to bring their small children shopping, all find using a car for grocery shopping. All three groups are more than usually likely to be on lower incomes, but may have occasional use of a car, or have budgeted their own because, on balance, it makes their life more do-able.

This has some interesting statistics about poverty and car ownership.

- Nearly all households with above-average incomes have a car but half of low-income households do not.
- 40% of working-age singles (both with and without dependent children) and 65% of single pensioners lack a car.

No doubt. Those southern fried chicken strips they do in the hotfoods deli counter are worth killing a man for. Hell i live a mile and a half away so i probably ain't even entitled to an opinion.

At least it's not Tescrap.

Can I use that as the official name for their amazingly crappy branch on Tulse Hill?

Me and Ms Hatter prefer 'Tescunts'.

Back to the supermarkets, I'm still waiting for the permanently unemployed space under the shonky 'The Viaduct' flats on Coldharbour Lane to be supermarketified. It surely can't be long now, what with all those busy, well-heeled people set to move into Brixton Square next door.
I looked up those units before and the good new news is they can't be used as shops/retail/food places - they have planning permission for offices & light industrial only. That's not to say they can't reapply to change the planning permission at a later date, if they find they are unable to let them. (In fact, it's possible that this could be their strategy anyway.) I'm not sure how easy that is to do. But worth keeping an eye on that one anyway...

I'm trying to remember, but I'll never forget the pivotal part it played in the Great Baked Bean Wars of Brixton.
I remember the baked bean wars - about 1995 perhaps? I was living at the Elephant at the time just before I moved to Brixton. The tescunts in the pink shopping centre were selling them for 1p at one point!

I am also of the opinion that the Tesco on TH is the worst one in the UNIVERSE!
We lived near that when it opened in about 2003. They didn't sell alcohol at first, so we still used the shops on Elm Park. When they did start selling booze, we realised all the food in there was the expensive/ready meal type stuff (with no value lines), so we still used the shops on Elm Park. They got robbed loads of times and people regularly used to drive off without paying for petrol. They used to stop selling alcohol at 9pm and if you got to the til at 9.01pm they wouldn't serve you and were total cunts about it. They used to shut early as well....so when you nipped across the road at 10.50pm to get a late-night pack of rizlas or whatever, they were already closed and they NEVER let you in. (In fact, thinking back, that store was probably the start of my hatred of supermarkets, particularly Tescunts, and I started paying a lot more attention to them from then. There's a decent book called Tescopoly by Andrew Simm of NEF if you're interested, also http://www.tescopoly.org )

One of the guys who stayed with us for a bit actually had £500 worth of Tesco shares and was pleased when they opened on Tulse Hill. Within a week he was steaming mad and threatening to firebomb the place :D

I remember the baked bean wars - about 1995 perhaps? I was living at the Elephant at the time just before I moved to Brixton. The tescunts in the pink shopping centre were selling them for 1p at one point!
I was a veteran of the Brixton baked bean wars, which was swiftly followed by the bleach wars, which also went down to 1p. Brixton was never so clean.

I remember that the supermarket was French owned and looked like a Russian supermarket during the Cold War with loads of empty shelves and 70s style fittings.

I wish I could remember the name, though.

As for the Sainsburys on the Carpetright/Topps Tiles place, we don't need it. It'll further hurt other local shops. Sainsbury's say they will 'create jobs' but they will only steal them from elsewhere - research shows that new supermarkets eventually result in an overall loss of local employment (can't remember exact figures) once other local shops, which tend to employ more people in relation to their turnover, have closed down due to loss of business. So more money leaves the local area and flows into the pockets of the Sainsbury shareholders (the Qatari royal family and the likes..)

We lived near that when it opened in about 2003. They didn't sell alcohol at first, so we still used the shops on Elm Park. When they did start selling booze, we realised all the food in there was the expensive/ready meal type stuff (with no value lines), so we still used the shops on Elm Park. They got robbed loads of times and people regularly used to drive off without paying for petrol. They used to stop selling alcohol at 9pm and if you got to the til at 9.01pm they wouldn't serve you and were total cunts about it. They used to shut early as well....so when you nipped across the road at 10.50pm to get a late-night pack of rizlas or whatever, they were already closed and they NEVER let you in. (In fact, thinking back, that store was probably the start of my hatred of supermarkets, particularly Tescunts, and I started paying a lot more attention to them from then. There's a decent book called Tescopoly by Andrew Simm of NEF if you're interested, also http://www.tescopoly.org )

One of the guys who stayed with us for a bit actually had £500 worth of Tesco shares and was pleased when they opened on Tulse Hill. Within a week he was steaming mad and threatening to firebomb the place :D

I don't use it or very very rarely but in the times I have I've seen one attempted stabbing and been locked into the shop as a fight kicked off that involved some women trying to bottle some other women. That's not really why I think it's crap though - that would take too many words for me to be bothered to write at the moment, but I've spouted off about it here before. The only saving grace is that in general the staff and the security guard in particular are good eggs.

Back
Top Bottom