Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carlton Mansions co-op, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - history and news

I have never quite believed the hype about knotweed - that it's destroying London house by house, street by street

I have never quite believed the hype about knotweed - that it's destroying London house by house, street by street
Amazing just how much of it there is about. I was looking at a house in Cressigham Gardens and the neighbour's lawn was covered in it. Apparently they'd planted it there themselves and liked the way it had spread. The vendor looked horrified when I told them what it was.

It's not too hard to get rid of as long as you use the right products (gyphosate to kill its roots) and keep up the treatment.

I know a woman in Streatham who had her sale fall through because her garden had Japanese Knotweed. She thought she just might never be able to move. I heard in the end she did sort it out though but it was a lot of angst and expense by the sounds of it.

I know a woman in Streatham who had her sale fall through because her garden had Japanese Knotweed. She thought she just might never be able to move. I heard in the end she did sort it out though but it was a lot of angst and expense by the sounds of it.

Still think it's an urban myth

I'm selling my house at the moment and there is a specific question about Japanese Knotweed on the pre sale enquiries form.
View attachment 55711

What idiot would tick 'yes'?

Bit of weeding, job temporarily done.

Reminds me of the flooded homeowners this year who were assured by the people they bought from that the properties had not flooded in a century.

Reminds me of the flooded homeowners this year who were assured by the people they bought from that the properties had not flooded in a century.

Not the same thing really, though. You know, sure as shit, that the trimmed knotweed will spring up again, toute suite, whereas flooding, by it's nature (unless you live on a floodplain) is unpredictable.

Aren't you in serious legal shit if you pull stunts like that?

In theory. But in practice it would be difficult to prove you lied about flooding years before or neighbour disputes etc.

Back to photos. At back of Carlton Mansion is the old wash house. When the Mansions was first built it had this as place where the residents ( or occupants in Council officer speak:rolleyes:) washed their clothes. Its intact only the roof has gone years ago. Water was heated by fireplaces built into it with metal bowls above the fires also built in. They are now used for plants. Its rare to see one intact like this.

scaled_full_c7c6a1bac712121d7bca.JPG
scaled_full_dee35f0a004d08273321.JPG
scaled_full_090d927adebc7e3af6fe.JPG

Tremendous spirit of place Gramsci. Will the wash house be preserved?

Thanks my photos are trying to record the spirit of the Mansions.

Will the spirit be preserved? I doubt it once the Council jackboots are back in possession of the Mansions.

However I have suggested that aspects of the Mansions are preserved in some form. The washhouse could be kept as some kind of outdoor garden space. One of the Coop members did a lot to look after the plants in the old wash house and back yard.

Some of the Coop members are concerned that the Mansions is architecturally important building that should not just be gutted. But restored with sensitivity to what is originally was and its later history. Keeping some of its imposing features.

Its not just the outside ( the front is locally listed) but the size of the Mansions and how it fits on the site that is important architecturally. My photos do not show how big the building is. I have been thinking how to do this. People remark on the size as it looks lot smaller from the street.

What my photos do show is a building that has grown old gracefully. It has not changed much since it was first built. Never been modernized. Still has the original wooden staircases and chimneys on the roof.

Really sorry to hear the news.

Dear Urbanites,

At last court appearance the Council said they would be seeking vacant possession on basis of the Mansions being needed for redevelopment of the Somerleyton road project. This was separate from the fire risk which the Council first used to get vacant possession.

The Council confirmed date for the start of works is July 2015. Legal advice was that this reduced our chances considerably.

Once the legal process was started by the Council they were not going to let up. Every attempt at compromise was rejected.

The Council side were offered possession and date to leave at end of this year. Which seemed reasonable. This was rejected.

There has been legal discussions going on that I have not been able to post up about until now.

The Council side were also threatening people with costs which were becoming significant.

The eventual settlement made meant that costs would not be pursued by Council. It does mean that we could be out soon.

The last year has taken its toll on people. My health has suffered. Its been a lot of stress on Coop members.

I have seen over the last year the , so called , Coop Council break up my community.

Someone remarked to us recently that they were impressed that the Coop members had not fallen out with each other. The community kept together despite what was being done to it.

To make it clear not all the Council were trying their damn-est to get people out. Some in Council wanted us to stay on.

The Coop had made it clear to Council that they would not hold up the Somerleyton road project. It was when Coop left and how that was the issue.

Despite all this the Coop has stayed involved in the Somerleyton road scheme consultations. The Council officers involved in the Somerleyton road project have always welcomed the Coops input.

What saddens me is that over the years personally I have always tried to work with the Council. As has the Coop. I did not seek this confrontation with the Council.

The last year has been a culture shock. The Council, as an arm of the state, can throw a lot of resources and power against one if it decides. Our chances were always 50:50 at best.

I would like to mention that OvalhouseDB have always put a word in for the Coop to stay on until the Mansions was needed for development. The Coop has also had support from Ward Cllrs.

I would like to thank all those who have given support over last year.

Thanks my photos are trying to record the spirit of the Mansions.

Will the spirit be preserved? I doubt it once the Council jackboots are back in possession of the Mansions.

However I have suggested that aspects of the Mansions are preserved in some form. The washhouse could be kept as some kind of outdoor garden space. One of the Coop members did a lot to look after the plants in the old wash house and back yard.

Some of the Coop members are concerned that the Mansions is architecturally important building that should not just be gutted. But restored with sensitivity to what is originally was and its later history. Keeping some of its imposing features.

Its not just the outside ( the front is locally listed) but the size of the Mansions and how it fits on the site that is important architecturally. My photos do not show how big the building is. I have been thinking how to do this. People remark on the size as it looks lot smaller from the street.

What my photos do show is a building that has grown old gracefully. It has not changed much since it was first built. Never been modernized. Still has the original wooden staircases and chimneys on the roof.
if you want me to come in and record a lot of what's there, I'd be happy to do so!

I did notice the other day walking past though, that the front facade at least is in need of some proper maintenance and repairs.

I did notice the other day walking past though, that the front facade at least is in need of some proper maintenance and repairs.

Yes definitely.

Gramsci has put some lovely pics of the place so I'll add a few more with people in because at the end of the day for many, it was a home. The picture below show the entrance of one of the flats. This little hallway has a small window behind the mirror and you can see into the flat.
P1080421 (480x640).jpg

Back to photos. At back of Carlton Mansion is the old wash house. When the Mansions was first built it had this as place where the residents ( or occupants in Council officer speak:rolleyes:) washed their clothes. Its intact only the roof has gone years ago. Water was heated by fireplaces built into it with metal bowls above the fires also built in. They are now used for plants. Its rare to see one intact like this.

scaled_full_c7c6a1bac712121d7bca.JPG
scaled_full_dee35f0a004d08273321.JPG
scaled_full_090d927adebc7e3af6fe.JPG

Took a few photos yesterday at Carlton Mansions. Thanks v. much to Gramsci for showing me round. It's a very special place and I tried to capture this in the photos I took.

Attachments

• _8001114.jpg
    _8001114.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 33
  • _8001112smallweb copy.jpg
    _8001112smallweb copy.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom