Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Car diagnostic computer scanners

ska invita

back on the other side
Does anyone on here own one?
Mechanic I was speaking to said the ones garages have cost £££s and do good stuff (reset error codes), consumer ones are crap

Any insights/opinions?

I use a Bluetooth scanner which talks to an app called Torque on my phone. It's got me out of a few spots of bother, not to mention a few others (with consequent bragging rights)

They are not all created equal and it really depends what you are trying to do with it. If your car is pre-1996 then very few scanners will work. Only a Bosch scanner will successfully scan my 1995 348GTS.

If you're into resetting codes, rewriting values, data logging and accessing the car's hidden features you want something like a Topdon ArtiDiag. I have the Topdon Phoenix which is brilliant but expensive. It lets you see all the faults on the same screen super-imposed over a schematic which makes finding wiring faults a doddle. I don't think my 2011 R35 would have ever run again if I didn't have this.

BlueDriver Pro is good if you just want to read codes. I don't think it does all 10 ODB2 modes so it check it works on your car.

I bought an iCarsoft thing a while back, a model for French & Italian cars. It could read more than the generic OBD dongle & Torque. Specifically it could read and reset ABS, and it's how I figured out that my problem was an ABS sensor. As it turned out, a good middle ground between the generic, and clones of the OEM software.

Back
Top Bottom