Seam Crooked Sam
Dali's Car
Drink Paint Run Run
Bat Chain Puller
Call on Me
Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles
Observatory Crest

linky link link

Thanks - helped keep me (in)sane at work while waiting to see if my boss would turn up & there was any point me actually being there or if I could just sod off home.
great mix :cool:

I'd be playing the records I've got if my record player was working :mad: and Trout Mask Replica if I knew where it was /fail

Goodnight Captain.

Thankyou for that link ska invita :)

I have shed loads of Caoptain Beefheart stuff on a treble set of tapes ( :oops: ) -- an old muso mate of mine (ewho was a Beefheart obsessive) did me an amazing compilation of stuff from throughout his career, digging it out right now .... for festive ;) xmas period relistening ...

Did anyone link to these? Just in case not ...

Sean O'Hagan's tribute in Sunday's Observer

Matt Groening's tribute, also in the Observer

Graun obituary from Monday

Alex Petridis' tribute

Up to you what you think of em, but all worth a read ....

I wonder if The Magic Band will do anything to mark his passing? They were incredibly good live when I saw them a couple of years back.

helped keep me (in)sane at work while waiting to see if my boss would turn up & there was any point me actually being there or if I could just sod off home.
Im with you on that one 100%!
Thanks for the nice feedback. I felt the need to do one more - different feel, but hopefully still listenable! Xerry crimbletidingmas
---
A final, darker, dose of Beefheart, opening with the ultimate blues: You know how it feels, when you're layin flat on your back, and they're puttin' flowers on ya, down on Funeral Hill - That's where there ain't no Boss Man, cuz you finally paid your bills.

Captain%252BBeefheart%252B%252BHis%252BMagic%252BBand.jpg

Funeral Hill (two versions)
Clear Spot
Ashtray Heart
Woe-Is-Uh-Me-Bop
The Buggy Boogie Woogie
Circumstances
Open Pins
Gimme Dat Harp Boy
I Love You, You Big Dummy

"I dont want to sell my music. I'd like to give it away because where I got it, you didn't have to pay for it." D.G.V. 1970

Thankyou for that link ska invita :)

I have shed loads of Caoptain Beefheart stuff on a treble set of tapes ( :oops: ) -- an old muso mate of mine (ewho was a Beefheart obsessive) did me an amazing compilation of stuff from throughout his career, digging it out right now .... for festive ;) xmas period relistening ...

Did anyone link to these? Just in case not ...

Sean O'Hagan's tribute in Sunday's Observer

Matt Groening's tribute, also in the Observer

Graun obituary from Monday

Alex Petridis' tribute

Up to you what you think of em, but all worth a read ....

will read all this later. Thank you william :)

I first got into Captain Beefheart from Lester Bangs moving, highly passionate and intense writing about the man. Lesters words blew me away utterly, completely, totally. He did just a few seminal pieces, but I was instantly curious and on a one woman mission to discover the Great Man myself. His words were spot on and prophetic.

RIP

only discovered him recently, through friends' recommendations. i had 'Her eyes are a blue million miles' knocking around my stereo for years - always liked it but i didn't really clock it was him...

anyway they don't make 'em like that anymore.

BUMP _ BEEFHEART DIED LAST YEAR IN 2010!

A year on fromn his death theres going to be a release of the lost Bat Chain Puller album - not sure how thats different from Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - have to wait and see...

A long-lost Captain Beefheart album is to finally be released, on what would have been Don Van Vliet's 71st birthday. Bat Chain Puller was recorded in 1976 but shelved later that year, due to a dispute between Frank Zappa and his former manager, Herb Cohen.

Bat Chain Puller was originally intended to be the follow-up to 1974's maligned Bluejeans & Moonbeams, after Vliet recruited a new band. Zappa produced the sessions, and tracks like Owed t'Alex and The Floppy Boot Stomp made it all the way to Beefheart's label, Virgin, as well as several journalists. Unfortunately that's as far as things got. When Zappa sued Cohen, Bat Chain Puller was caught in the litigation and the album was shelved. Although many of Bat Chain Puller's songs were re-recorded for subsequent Beefheart releases, the original record has only been available among fans, as a popular bootleg.

More than three decades later – and just over a year after Vliet's death – Zappa's estate has announced that Bat Chain Puller will officially see the light of day. The album is available for pre-order on CD, a release that comprises the 12 original tracks and three bonus cuts. It will arrive on shelves on 15 January, Vliet's birthday. "The tape is owned by the Zappa estate and although Don didn't want it released they've been true to the work," explained Beefheart biographer Mike Barnes. Liner notes have been composed by Magic Band members Denny Walley and John French, who mixed the album.

Incidentally

A bat chain refers to the chain that hangs down from a signal post on a train line. The signal device that was pulled down was called a bat and different bats had different colours to signal the train driver as to the condition of the track ahead, or whether the train could proceed,etc.

The bat chain puller was the person who set the signals for the approaching train according to track status reports received by telegraph.
The song BCP probably metaphorically refers to the fact that this job is obsolete in the world of train spotters in this automated world.

A year on fromn his death theres going to be a release of the lost Bat Chain Puller album - not sure how thats different from Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - have to wait and see...
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) is made up of different takes of some of the songs destined for the original version of Bat Chain Puller. Other songs from the original Bat Chain Puller were later re-recorded and found their way onto Doc at the Radar Station and Ice Cream for Crow.

Shiny Beast was also thought to have been played back too fast when pressed, causing everything to be higher than originally played/sung.

But thanks for the heads up. I've "pre" ordered it.

Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) is made up of different takes of some of the songs destined for the original version of Bat Chain Puller. Other songs from the original Bat Chain Puller were later re-recorded and found their way onto Doc at the Radar Station and Ice Cream for Crow.

Shiny Beast was also thought to have been played back too fast when pressed, causing everything to be higher than originally played/sung.

But thanks for the heads up. I've "pre" ordered it.
Thanks for that.

Yes, pre-orders can be made here and i think here only?
http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_54317

I have enjoyed this thread and his music tonight. All new to me. Exciting. :)
nice to hear that :) fitting timing, pretty much bang on a year after his death. His birthday is soon, January 15th, so might as well tip the hat then too...

I have enjoyed this thread and his music tonight. All new to me. Exciting. :)
I'm a bit envious of that, TC, I've gotta admit. I'd love to be discovering the Captain for the first time just now. There's a whole world of weirdness out there to be enjoyed.

The last couple of days have had a sound track of Beefheart in the background. My mind keeps going over the beauty of some of the stuff. Thanks you lot. :)

Back
Top Bottom