Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Captain Beefheart is dead

This is the first thing of his I ever heard.

Bye Cap'n, you'll be missed.

"Mr Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note, and let it float ... "

Just for context:

At the precise moment in '78 when a smarmy hurting Johnny Rotten stormed away from the Pistols in San Francisco, and Malcolm/Sid went off to Brazil to look for some fucking train robber, Don Van Vliet and his Magic Band couldn't give a flying fuck about any of that shit.

Don was content with writing songs about diners :D

For my 70's punk yoof, I'll stick with Beefheart thank you very much...

(((RIP Don...and thank you)))

e2a: "By the way folks, it was dusty, not hairy..." :D

I'd say rest in peace, but I don't think that's what he'd want. So...

If there's an afterlife go raise hell, man. And if there isn't we'll do so here on your behalf.

Bye cap'n. Ill for a long time wasn't he. My brother was saying a while ago that the making of trout mask would make a great film.

He was one of the fırst gıgs I ever went to, at Cardıff Unıversıty Students Unıon. I must have been about 13. Someone passed me a splıff and I got very ıll.

RIP.

RIP Captain Beefheart. As a mark of respect, I played all of Trout Mask Replica. I'm now listening to Zappa/Beefheart's Bongo Fury.

He was.....unparallelled is the only word. I still think Safe as Milk is one of the greatest albums EVER. The sheer satisfaction you get listening to him.... spiritually uplifting, playful, and completely fulfilling, like good sex.

Sad news.

To my shame/ignorance, I didn't know he had MS, which can take a few years - or many years - off your life depending on what sort you have.

A unique talent.

Been listening to 'Moonlight On Vermont' and 'Blabber And Smoke' just now. No-ones ever sounded like that since, and no-one ever will.

RIP Don. Utterly fucking unique.

been up all night putting this together
bouncey.gif

magic_band.jpg

Don Magic - Tribute to Beefheart

Well
Skeleton Makes Good
25th Century Quaker
The Witch Doctor Life
Sun Zoom Spark
Safe as Milk
Seam Crooked Sam
Dali's Car
Drink Paint Run Run
Bat Chain Puller
Call on Me
Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles
Observatory Crest

linky link link
i enjoyed that, thanks mate :)

Thanks Paulie ;)

ive got a nice beefheart documentary around, and i remember this one bit about how shit-hot-tight the band are - they practised and practised those fucked up solos and arrangements - whereas they sound spontaneous and casually-twisted, when they did a take two they'd play the same stuff again note for note.

Something i didnt know was about the recording of Trout Mask Replica - have you heard about what they went through? IT was recorded in six hours straight - however before recording...

"The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians. At various times one or another of the group members was put "in the barrel," with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet.[4] According to John French and Bill Harkleroad these sessions often included physical violence. French described the situation as "cultlike"[5] and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Manson-esque."[6]

Their material circumstances also were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group survived on a bare subsistence diet. French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month[7] and at one point band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out).[8] A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health." Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day.
soybeans :D

His music never appealed to me - though i did try - but I liked the man himself. I remember a great interview with him in the NME many years ago (late 70's at a guess) which had some wicked quotes, one of which I still remember and have occasionally used myself: 'There's only 8 people in the world, and 5 of those are hamburgers.' :D :cool:

RIP

Back
Top Bottom