Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can you freeze celery?

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
Always throw some away, then don't have any in to make stock or base.

Would blanching work? Seems it might just go soggy.

Have you thought about drying it, Or treating it like a plant trim the root end and keep in fresh water on the window sill?

Mine is 4 weeks old now was flabby when I got it now it has leaves and roots ( I wanted leaves to make celery salt)

I keep my head of celery in a pint glass with an inch of water in the bottom shelf on the door of the fridge and change the water every couple of days - keeps for several weeks like that, although can go a bit floppy towards the end - still good for cooking at that point though, and it really keeps any leaves very fresh.

If you need to use celery in a hurry, then make stock and freeze the stock. Or soup.

Last edited:
I have a tonne of celery in my fridge and use it in almost everything now. When finely chopped it adds a subtlety to every meal. I even added a rib to a Thai curry the other night and it was yum!

Celery should be frozen, burnt, pulverised, atomised, exterminated - doesn't matter, so long as it's utterly & totally destroyed and prevented from ever polluting the food chain.

I make celery soup to a recipe handed down to me by my mother. Chopped celery, stock cube, water, milk and dried mint. Obviously you have to like celery (I do) but it means I don't waste any. And the soup freezes fine.

Sounds nice. Recipe?
Well, I've pretty much given it to you above. Chop celery into small pieces, add enough water to cover plus some stock powder, boil until cooked to your liking, add milk to get it to soup consistency, then quite a lot of dried mint and salt & pepper to your taste. The amount of milk I put in is dependent on how much I have in the fridge and how low calorie I want it to be! But probably the soup needs to be about 20-25% milk to give it a bit of creaminess. I don't cook it for very long as I like the celery to still be a little bit crunchy. And it can stand quite a lot of black pepper.

I'm not usually this cavalier with quantities, it's just that I'm copying what I saw being made and it isn't written down anywhere!

Always throw some away, then don't have any in to make stock or base.

Would blanching work? Seems it might just go soggy.
i would cut out the middle man and just put it directly in the bin once i got home from the market, or better still don't buy it at all, problem solved

Back
Top Bottom