Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can my boss read my Microsoft Teams chat?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
A colleague warned me today not to send her any messages that had any criticisms in them over Teams, which has multiple user channels, but also 1:1 chat facility.

I know nothing is absolutely secure and ostensibly an IT department can access anything, but would a line manager/team leader ordinarily be able to access the contents of a private conversation between two colleagues?

My colleague said another colleague has told her not to say anything critical in Teams after they had commented about an issue in a private chat in Teams and the boss had subsequently mentioned the issue.

I mean, apart from anything, I'd have thought a line manager would be too busy and wouldn't have the time or inclination to go rooting through people's 'private' chats...?

But would they usually have access?

I don't know about automatic access although that might be possible. However sometimes a thread might be joined later by a new individual and they might then be able to see the whole past discussion?

Anyhow, work software, don't do anything on it you aren't happy to be public.

Depends on the organisation and how reasonable they are. In my place, while IT can obviously access anything, managers can't unless they have good reason to intervene (e.g. suspicion of wrongdoing leading to a HR investigation). In that scenario there are hoops a manager has to jump through before access is given.

But in a 1 to 1 teams chat the other person could copy the discussion to anyone, and the manager would be able to bypass any policy controls that way. In teams chats if you click on the three dots when you hover over a message, it gives you the option to e-mail it. As far as I know it only works for individual messages, but a party to the chat can easily copy a message without you knowing. They could also screenshot it of course.

It also depends on who has access to the chat. If it's just a direct chat between two people, the manager shouldn't have access, but if the chat takes place on a channel, then anyone who is a member of that channel will be able to see it.

You can also delete your own messages if you want - doesn't work if someone has quoted it though, much like on here.

I once worked in a company where no one told me, but after 6 months I discovered, my boss had all my emails copied to his account so he could keep tabs on his employees.
Now you mention it, a line manager in a previous job years ago called me into a meeting with HR person, it was like he'd cooked up a sting. It transpired that he'd noticed that when I sent him an email, with my 'to do' list, where I was up to on a range of tasks, he'd noticed that I'd also cc'd myself to my Hotmail account.

[I was so fucking tragically dedicated and conscientious, I'd sometimes think of things and revise my 'to do' list on the tram home, because invariably I'd walk out the door and think 'Shit! I need to do xyz!' so I sometimes used to email myself backwards and forwards with tasks. Sad, I know.]

So behind my back and unbeknownst to me, he got the external IT contractors to go through all my emails and he pulled out some others that I'd sent from my work account to my Hotmail account, he'd carried out this investigation, reported to HR, called me into this meeting and he'd clearly worked himself up into this big Gotcha! moment, when he explained he'd seen I'd cc'd my personal email account on my to do list and how he'd then got the IT folks to investigate, and then he started grilling me on 'Why did you send confidential meeting minutes externally to your personal email address?'

You'd think he'd exposed fucking Watergate or something. (He was a former journalist now working in VCSE sector.) I could literally see his hands shaking.

It seemed he'd seen 2+2 and assumed 5, assumed I had some nefarious intentions and was presumably going to leak the minutes... somewhere...? Why? Fuck knows.

I mean, that project was a total shitshow and it was falling apart because the project partners were all disagreeing with one another about who was supposed to be doing what, but that was another issue.

I pointed out that I'd attended the meeting in order to minute it, the time I'd set aside to finalise typing up the minutes had been usurped by something else - oh, yeah, by the fact that I was in a team of three, one of those posts was vacant, and the other colleague was often on sick leave or holiday, so I was often trying to do three jobs and juggling priorities and deadlines...

...and if he'd looked at the time I sent the email to myself, it was probably around 7pm, around the time I got fed up and decided to go home and have dinner and finish doing the minutes later... and if he'd have bothered checking my inbox, as well as my sent mail folder, he'd have seen that I'd emailed the completed/almost completed minutes back to my work email address the following morning, and then I'd emailed them to the project manager.

And I'd done it that way, because I didn't have access to the servers to work remotely (this was just before the pandemic and I ended up working from home anyway), because I was admin and not 'officer' class and I was too lowly at that point to be given remote access to work from home. (Also because their ancient IT systems were a pile of shite and couldn't have coped and they had to be upgraded when the pandemic hit and we all started wfh.)

So having defused that Gotcha! bomb, he moved onto asking me why I'd emailed myself the previous year's departmental SWOT analysis.

A: Because he'd emailed it to everyone in the department as an example and asked us to do one for this year and send it to Colleague X by 5pm on Date Y. But I hadn't managed to do that, because I'd been trying to do the jobs of three people, so I'd emailed it to myself to do at home, thinking I'd email it across first thing. But if he'd also checked my inbox and sent emails, he'd have realised that I was lazy, I'd got home and felt knackered and changed my mind and I didn't do it and email it back to myself. Instead, I did it when I got to the office and emailed my Swot analysis to Colleague X late, at about 10am. And had I mentioned I was knackered because I was trying to do three people's jobs? While he kept calling me into catch up meetings and micromanaging me?

So having defused that Gotcha! bomb, I was then asked why I'd sent myself a regional autism policy document. Well, it's regional policy, it's not confidential, and I'm actually autistic so I was personally interested to see what service provision there was in reality or in the pipeline for autistic adults, because I had a vested interest in that kind of thing. So...?

Honestly, it was like he'd uncovered something big, massive exposé of my wrongdoing and presumed leaking of confidential information. And the reality that was that I was overworked, covering for a vacant post and other staff absence, and I was too conscientious and hard-working and too fucking good for them.

So, yeah, lesson learned that if a fuckwit line manager has nothing better to do with their time than micromanaging his staff and poring through their emails, rather than, y'know, doing the tasks actually required of them... 🙄

Assume anything can be read by anyone for the rest of time. You never know when somethings going to get swept up in an investigation, GDPR request or legal dispute. Doesn't even have to involve you directly. Even when something doesn't legally need to be disclosed you cannot rely on your colleagues/company protecting you. When shit hits the fan there's often just too much data and too little manpower and things that should be redacted slide through the gaps

This - assume on a company computer or program they can read everything.

But they are unlikely to be reading everything unless they are investigating something else, as it takes forever and is really boring.
Not always - I've been given access to people's accounts for various legal reasons and it can be fascinating, or sometimes downright hilarious.

Not always - I've been given access to people's accounts for various legal reasons and it can be fascinating, or sometimes downright hilarious.

Aye, same here. It can be shocking/embarrassing too. In the main dull as fuck, though.

We've had to let three people go since I started there just over a decade ago after email/computer record trawls were deemed necessary.

As others have said - assume they see/know all - stick to WhatsApp/Signal/Verbal

I agree any legal issues would allow them to access messages but is it really the case that your boss, say, could read 121 messages between two of his underlings without any legal cause? Surprised by that, though I'd agree - for the legal reason - to assume the worst, certainly to prevent posting anything incriminating.

Now you mention it, a line manager in a previous job years ago called me into a meeting with HR person, it was like he'd cooked up a sting. It transpired that he'd noticed that when I sent him an email, with my 'to do' list, where I was up to on a range of tasks, he'd noticed that I'd also cc'd myself to my Hotmail account.

[I was so fucking tragically dedicated and conscientious, I'd sometimes think of things and revise my 'to do' list on the tram home, because invariably I'd walk out the door and think 'Shit! I need to do xyz!' so I sometimes used to email myself backwards and forwards with tasks. Sad, I know.]

So behind my back and unbeknownst to me, he got the external IT contractors to go through all my emails and he pulled out some others that I'd sent from my work account to my Hotmail account, he'd carried out this investigation, reported to HR, called me into this meeting and he'd clearly worked himself up into this big Gotcha! moment, when he explained he'd seen I'd cc'd my personal email account on my to do list and how he'd then got the IT folks to investigate, and then he started grilling me on 'Why did you send confidential meeting minutes externally to your personal email address?'

You'd think he'd exposed fucking Watergate or something. (He was a former journalist now working in VCSE sector.) I could literally see his hands shaking.

It seemed he'd seen 2+2 and assumed 5, assumed I had some nefarious intentions and was presumably going to leak the minutes... somewhere...? Why? Fuck knows.

I mean, that project was a total shitshow and it was falling apart because the project partners were all disagreeing with one another about who was supposed to be doing what, but that was another issue.

I pointed out that I'd attended the meeting in order to minute it, the time I'd set aside to finalise typing up the minutes had been usurped by something else - oh, yeah, by the fact that I was in a team of three, one of those posts was vacant, and the other colleague was often on sick leave or holiday, so I was often trying to do three jobs and juggling priorities and deadlines...

...and if he'd looked at the time I sent the email to myself, it was probably around 7pm, around the time I got fed up and decided to go home and have dinner and finish doing the minutes later... and if he'd have bothered checking my inbox, as well as my sent mail folder, he'd have seen that I'd emailed the completed/almost completed minutes back to my work email address the following morning, and then I'd emailed them to the project manager.

And I'd done it that way, because I didn't have access to the servers to work remotely (this was just before the pandemic and I ended up working from home anyway), because I was admin and not 'officer' class and I was too lowly at that point to be given remote access to work from home. (Also because their ancient IT systems were a pile of shite and couldn't have coped and they had to be upgraded when the pandemic hit and we all started wfh.)

So having defused that Gotcha! bomb, he moved onto asking me why I'd emailed myself the previous year's departmental SWOT analysis.

A: Because he'd emailed it to everyone in the department as an example and asked us to do one for this year and send it to Colleague X by 5pm on Date Y. But I hadn't managed to do that, because I'd been trying to do the jobs of three people, so I'd emailed it to myself to do at home, thinking I'd email it across first thing. But if he'd also checked my inbox and sent emails, he'd have realised that I was lazy, I'd got home and felt knackered and changed my mind and I didn't do it and email it back to myself. Instead, I did it when I got to the office and emailed my Swot analysis to Colleague X late, at about 10am. And had I mentioned I was knackered because I was trying to do three people's jobs? While he kept calling me into catch up meetings and micromanaging me?

So having defused that Gotcha! bomb, I was then asked why I'd sent myself a regional autism policy document. Well, it's regional policy, it's not confidential, and I'm actually autistic so I was personally interested to see what service provision there was in reality or in the pipeline for autistic adults, because I had a vested interest in that kind of thing. So...?

Honestly, it was like he'd uncovered something big, massive exposé of my wrongdoing and presumed leaking of confidential information. And the reality that was that I was overworked, covering for a vacant post and other staff absence, and I was too conscientious and hard-working and too fucking good for them.

So, yeah, lesson learned that if a fuckwit line manager has nothing better to do with their time than micromanaging his staff and poring through their emails, rather than, y'know, doing the tasks actually required of them... 🙄

I email stuff to my personal account all the time. Usually because the printer at work is fucked again and I have to print stuff at home at my own expense, or because the remote access client is shit and unreliable. There's never anything confidential in it, not even anyone else's email address. I'm still fully expecting to get pulled up for this one day, as I never use the proper 'sending outside emails' encryption thing. Because (guess what) it doesn't work.

This - assume on a company computer or program they can read everything.

But they are unlikely to be reading everything unless they are investigating something else, as it takes forever and is really boring.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was banking on really, that they'd have a (work) life, if not a real life, and wouldn't have the time or inclination for that kind of shite.

Aye, same here. It can be shocking/embarrassing too. In the main dull as fuck, though.

We've had to let three people go since I started there just over a decade ago after email/computer record trawls were deemed necessary.

As others have said - assume they see/know all - stick to WhatsApp/Signal/Verbal
Why were they let go?

I mean, it's not like I breached IT policies like * ahem * certain Tory MPs who could be mentioned.

I agree any legal issues would allow them to access messages but is it really the case that your boss, say, could read 121 messages between two of his underlings without any legal cause? Surprised by that, though I'd agree - for the legal reason - to assume the worst, certainly to prevent posting anything incriminating.
I supposed that they could. I'm not sure it would require any special legal justification as such, I guess I was counting on the fact of line managers being busy and maybe they ought to have better things to do with their time?

I email stuff to my personal account all the time. Usually because the printer at work is fucked again and I have to print stuff at home at my own expense, or because the remote access client is shit and unreliable. There's never anything confidential in it, not even anyone else's email address. I'm still fully expecting to get pulled up for this one day, as I never use the proper 'sending outside emails' encryption thing. Because (guess what) it doesn't work.
Yeah, I guess that was my justification, really. They hadn't set me up for working from home (at that time, they later upgraded systems and made it possible), I'd just worked around shitty ancient systems by just emailing myself.

It's a "communication compliance" feature of that particular proprietary messaging system, to which an employer could subscribe ($$$).
That licence costs £33.40 per user per month, compared to about seven quid for a basic enterprise licence. I don't know where the OP works but might not be likely.(Incidentally looking at that ridiculously written document brought back my MSFT PTSD).

Email is basically open to work admins, they can go through all work emails. Stuff like Slack DMs they can't, but people can still screenshot and send on so assume everything you write down will be read by everybody and don't put anything incriminating. Obviously public channels can be seen by everybody on them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom