Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Beer was 7.50 a pint on Sunday.
TopCats / Youthsayers were great
Searching was perfunctory - I walked in with a full bottle of water and a camera strapped to my chest - but I probably don't fit the profile of an evil-doer

Was a little surprised to see that the Scientologists had a stall (but each to their own and they are no more, in my mind, wrong than the other flavours of "religion" that had pitches)
Either way - we got our 18 yr old to do the E-meter as they are doing RPE A level this summer so felt it counted as revision. Reports back were that the volunteer "ministers" were sub-standard and didn't stand up to even the most basic of discussion/challenge.

Last edited:
I was stopped at the main Herne Hill gate this afternoon for carrying a camera. Nothing obtrusive or too professional looking - an Olympus PEN-F.

I was told by the first line of security "strictly no cameras on site." I asked how this argument stacks up with camera phones. No reply...

I kept on walking.

The second line of security by the table for the bag search stopped me and repeated the line. "Absolutely no entry with a camera."

I asked to speak to a supervisor.

He waved me through.

wtf was that all about?
That's fucking ridiculous. I walked straight through with my slightly bigger camera and there's no way would I have accepted some twat on the gate trying to stop me.

Once inside and it's all SO bland. Sure, I like it the current Country Show and had a half decent afternoon. Rodigan was ace.

But away from the live entertainment, it's all a bit meh. I want to have a chat with the local society stall holders. I miss the various Friends groups. I kinda miss winding up some of the right wing lot on the Lambeth Labour stall.

But now it's aisle after aisle of food, clothing or booze.

Add in the Great Wall and the stupid booze ban and you have a Lambeth Country Show that doesn't feel like a Lambeth Show any more. I could have been in any park in a major city.

But yeah, it's still something I get vaguely excited about each summer.
I found it equally bland and didn't even bother going on the Sunday. They've squeezed the spirit out of the place.

That's fucking ridiculous. I walked straight through with my slightly bigger camera and there's no way would I have accepted some twat on the gate trying to stop me.
They're still at it, even now. Reports of people in hi vis telling passers-by that they aren't allowed to take photos of the festival site.

They're still at it, even now. Reports of people in hi vis telling passers-by that they aren't allowed to take photos of the festival site.
The workers trying to dismantle the site safely and quickly are probably getting irritated by the small number of fanatical moaners getting in their way in an attempt to get the latest juicy photo of some mud, so they can put it on Twitter and triumphantly call for the events to be banned next year. I doubt these passersby have an unusual interest in music festival infrastructure and build/strike, other than they hate the fact its taking place in Brockwell Park.

The workers trying to dismantle the site safely and quickly are probably getting irritated by the small number of fanatical moaners getting in their way in an attempt to get the latest juicy photo of some mud, so they can put it on Twitter and triumphantly call for the events to be banned next year. I doubt these passersby have an unusual interest in music festival infrastructure and build/strike, other than they hate the fact its taking place in Brockwell Park.
They must be very terribly sensitive to be quite so irritated by a "small number" wanting to take photos through a gap in the fence. I can't for life of me imagine why...

I doubt there is some sort of secretive conspiracy at play here, the manual labourers hired by an agency on a temporary basis to take down a music festival likely have no interest at hiding anything.

I can imagine that 'Brockwell Park Event' twat is down there on a daily basis, claiming they have rights to walk through the building site as its a public park, harassing and generally being a pain in the arse to the workers. If i had a tough, manual job to do and a random person was getting in the way waving a camera around, id tell them where to stick it too 😄

One of your wildest fantatsties yet.
I could tell you about the one where site workers in Brockwell Park are secretly trying to hide mud and woodchip from nosey passersby, even though everyone was free to walk around and see it for themselves only 5 days ago, but its a bit early in the day for that. Might get me all hot under the collar!

I could tell you about the one where site workers in Brockwell Park are secretly trying to hide mud and woodchip from nosey passersby, even though everyone was free to walk around and see it for themselves only 5 days ago, but its a bit early in the day for that. Might get me all hot under the collar!

To be fair, I think you already shared the secret consipracy fantasy just a couple of posts back.

5 days ago a large proportion of the site was still covered in heavy duty plastic sheeting. "Additional ground protection measures [were required] to ensure the safety and enjoyment of visitors" after the site had been churned into a mudbath. Heaven forbid that anyone should be so unreasonable as to want to see the state of the park now that the site is clear and the sheeting comes up.

I doubt there is some sort of secretive conspiracy at play here, the manual labourers hired by an agency on a temporary basis to take down a music festival likely have no interest at hiding anything.

I can imagine that 'Brockwell Park Event' twat is down there on a daily basis, claiming they have rights to walk through the building site as its a public park, harassing and generally being a pain in the arse to the workers. If i had a tough, manual job to do and a random person was getting in the way waving a camera around, id tell them where to stick it too 😄
Brockwell park association x feed and other anonymous accounts have all been blocked by Jim Dickson much to their annoyance

Brockwell park association x feed and other anonymous accounts have all been blocked by Jim Dickson much to their annoyance

He's pretty consitently distanced himstelf from anything to do with the Events Strategy since Brockwell Park was designated a major commercial event venue in 2018. And right now he'll be focussed on his aspirations to represent Dartford so I can't imagine why anyone would bother trying to get a response out of him. Dartford is historically a fairly safe conservative seat so I guess Labour can't be too desperate to have him. Wishing him all the best, anyway.

This was what I was expecting, no through access last night 😕
Their notice on site says closed until 11th. Then open between 12-14 June with only occassional closures for vehicle movements - which has not been the case. And supposedly 100% open from tomorrow.

There are gates open now, so the paths are open.
Only the path to the south of the site has been opened, the one which follows Norwood Road from the Herne Hill gate.
All the other paths are still closed and gates locked. The festival site is still out of bounds, with the exception of a small area of grass between the opened path and Norwood Road, which had been closed just for the country show. Security just told me that they expect access to be opened towards the end of next week.

my (admittedly poor) memory is that the path were open during the build and take down previously (post covid) as I used to walk there with my dogs, not so this year though, so not to do with mud I guess.

Back
Top Bottom