Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broadband Provider recommendations

what

Looking to change provider as current BT package is far to expensive.
I need broadband only no landline and as I now do a lot of work from home need a service which is reliable and fast enough to handle video calling (teams, zoom etc)
Who's good at the moment?

Nearly £90 a month. Hoping to be less than £30 a month.
It started out about 5 years ago at £25 and just keeps going up.

Blimey.

If you're in a copper area you'll need the landline* anyway, but Plusnet are decent and will do basic FTTC for £23pm

If you're in a fibre area, Plusnet don't do a fibre service. I'd recommend Zen, £39pm starting price but there are certainly cheaper fibre providers.

*In some copper areas you can get a service without a landline called SoGEA, but it's only a quid or two cheaper.

And in future, contact your provider at the end of your contract and renegotiate. You won't need to do that with Zen, they reckon they fix the price for life.

Cheers I pretty sure I'm in a fibre area.
Any idea on the reliability of those 2.
People I call seem to have reliability problems on sky and Virginia so will probably miss them

And in future, contact your provider at the end of your contract and renegotiate. You won't need to do that with Zen, they reckon they fix the price for life.
Ok doing this as contract is coming to an end. Will see how low BT will go.

We are now with Zen - we went with them because our previous supplied (PlusNet) didn't offer anything other than standard broad band and that was starting to struggle with our combined usage - Zen offer full fibre with speeds up to 900meg, at least they do where we are

Cheers I pretty sure I'm in a fibre area.
Any idea on the reliability of those 2.
People I call seem to have reliability problems on sky and Virginia so will probably miss them
I found Plusnet to be reliable, helpful and cheap. But then I moved to a fibre area and they couldn't offer fibre. I'd used Zen in the past, lots of my customers also use them and they are excellent.

Ouch. Internet companies are out of order that shouldn't be legal. I'm pretty sure it is set to change in the coming year or two.

I always check on Money Saving Expert and go from there. You won't need ridiculously fast internet if you're not doing lots of downloading and gaming online.

Virgin offer good new customer deals and generally they have been reliable, but I really hate the way they also increase prices.

I am sure EE are fine in terms of connections.

There's rarely such a thing as being rewarded for loyalty now, many companies (ISPs, car breakdown, insurance etc.) will creep up your monthlies after the initial contract is up. Always contact them at least a month before then and ask for the best advertised deal, if they tell you "That's for new customers only" then tell them you'll be a new customer for someone else and cancel. It's often elderly people who get ripped off the hardest too as they're less likely to want the hassle and confusion of moving.

An ISP going from £25 to £90 over 5 years is probably the worst I've heard of yet though :eek:

My dad is with Plusnet. Internet is ok but email can be very slow and I mean several hours for an email to get through at times. :eek: Probably not a good idea if wfh. :(

My dad is with Plusnet. Internet is ok but email can be very slow and I mean several hours for an email to get through at times. :eek: Probably not a good idea if wfh. :(

Issue with using provider email is it makes it much harder to move as you need to change email address.

New customer deals with BT are about £30 a month, just phone them up and ask to be put on that deal otherwise you're leaving. They usually play ball.

Check if you have community fibre. I changed to them. Was having no end of problems with TalkTalk.
Been brilliant so far. Costs me £20 a month.

They have similar clauses in their contract

11 We may, at our discretion, on or after 1st April every year from April 2023 increase the monthly price of the following, but not limited to, broadband, call plans, call charges and Community Fibre TV by Consumer Price Index (CPI)* and add an extra 2.9%**.

a) If the published CPI percentage rate is negative, we may at our discretion increase your prices by 2.9% in the relevant year.

Back
Top Bottom