Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Lino's great, and always super friendly.

Does anyone know of a cleaner that will do a one off spring clean that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Brixton / Stockwell...

C SousaWindow Cleaners

Tel: 020 7738 7257| 25, Hayter Rd, London, SW2 5AR

This guy is a really good and reasonably priced window cleaner. Not afraid to jump out of a first floor window to clean the outside..

Ah, no, that was years ago, things have changed (all my tradesmen seemed to have emigrated or retired) and it's just a case of trawling through the thread.....

Pest Controller wanted

Hi

Have a bit of a problem with mice at my flat off Acre Lane. I tried Lambeth Council & they wanted to charge £100 call out & could n't make it for a week.

Can any of the kind souls on here recommend a reliable pest controller who might be better value than the council?

Many thanks

Gas fire service?

Hello all

Does anyone know of someone who could inspect and service our gas 'coal-effect' fire? Haven't used ours for years but our front room is now desperately cold...

Thanks

Hi

Have a bit of a problem with mice at my flat off Acre Lane. I tried Lambeth Council & they wanted to charge £100 call out & could n't make it for a week.

Can any of the kind souls on here recommend a reliable pest controller who might be better value than the council?

Many thanks

er, how big is your problem?

I ask cos the Lambeth council pest controller used to call round once a month to our flats as a matter of routine, and all he did was put down poison.

Which is a double-edged sword cos if it does kill a mouse or two then you end up with a stinking decomposing rodent under your floorboards, which might end up attracting an infestation of flies. Not pretty at all.

We've always had a bit of a mouse problem (Victorian house in Brixton - goes with the territory), but we'd always just put down a lot of white plastic Big Cheese traps, with a bit of peanut butter dolloped in them, in the likely areas. They worked quite well. (I may be a vegetarian, but I'm ruthlessly anti-mouse. No mimsy live-mouse traps for me) This winter, touch wood, is looking like the first in three years in which they haven't come back, amazingly.

Plus, soon as our new back door's in, we're visiting Battersea to get ourselves a cat.

Thanks Matt

It's not a serious infestation, just evidence that we get the odd mouse in our airing cupboard and under a kitchen unit. Have put poison down regularly but doesn't seem to have stopped the problem & probably time to call in the professionals given it is in the kitchen.

Where I used to live (outside London) it cost £30 a couple of years ago when I needed the council pest controller & they came next day....so I baulked at the £100 demand and a week's wait from Lambeth (though I'm getting used to being disappointed by Lambeth every single time I have absolutely anything to do with them)

I don't like killing little creatures either, but agree that you have to draw the line at mice. I won't let the pest controller use glue traps though. Apparently they end up gnawing their own legs off.

Any suggestions most welcome

We had a mouse in our place recently - I bought some simple Rentokil snap traps (they were £5.99 for a pack of 2 in Robert Dyas)....baited them with chocolate spread and they proved very effective. Felt a bit guilty about killing an animal, but really couldn't put up with finding any more droppings in my kitchen!

that's the thing though - unless the professionals can actually plug all the holes where the mice are getting in, they can't fix your problem, they can just kill this month's mice.

put several traps under the kitchen unit and in the airing cupboard, baited with choc spread or peanut butter.

if you can, go along the skirting board behind the kitchen unit and fill in any gaps or holes with silicone filler and/or wire wool. (if you have time, do it for the whole room) do the same in the airing cupboard. consider no hole too small.

Hi,

Does anyone know a good kitchen fitter in the area? And/or an electrician - there's some electric things that need sorting first.

Thanks

Am looking for someone to fix my ripped trousers! does anyone have any recommendations for a well priced, good quality cloth mender / tailor?

clothes mending

I always get decent, honest clothes mending done by Oval Express (Clapham Road, just south of Oval)

You seem to get the best prices / service if, while handing in your broken clothes you lament the poor quality of clothes today etc, so the mending man can tell you about how his zips are better than Next's.

Good luck!

Well here is a big recommendation for Colin of CW Services - plumbing.

After calling him yesterday about our broken Saniflo and blocked bathroom pipes, he came round today to have a look and its all fixed.

Our other plumber had told us the saniflo needed replacing.

He's coming back next week to do a boiler inspection.

An Electrician called Will Forrest came round today. Got him from Which.
He was excellent, came round on the dot of 8am when he said he would and fixed washing machine and did others things for a really reasonable amount.

I'm totally recommending him. :)

On Vauxhallmum's recommendation I also got Will Forrest around yesterday. He was very good and very reasonably priced. I would definitely second the recommendation. :)

Happy to get a number and decide that for myself.

Have you got one yet?

Lots of people here have used Polish decorators and been happy

I've given a friend's number to quite a few people on here but they've never used him as I'm guessing they find someone cheaper

One number so far. Going on hols tomorrow so will have to wait 3 weeks. Send me your mate's number, as long as they don't mind a reasonably small job - one largish room.

We used South East Decorators this summer to do lots in our flat after a recommendation from a friend. We had them fit our new kitchen which they did wonderfully and at a very reasonable price (we thought) so we then got them to do several other rooms in the flat, including the bathroom and toilet. We're really pleased with the results. It's basically a small company run by an older guy called Terry Thorley who has a few young guys working for him - who were all lovely, polite and very trustworthy - also they gave real attention to detail. Anyway, that was our experiences with him, we'd use him again.

ANyone who can recommend a mechanic for a VW Golf??

Hi can anyone recommend a mechanic for a VW Golf around Brixton?

Back
Top Bottom