Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton steam train alert and rail related chat

I haven't got such a good view any more since Brixton Square and the Viaduct reared their ugly heads across the Brixton skyline. :mad:

Where's the best viewing point? Which of the lines does it use?
It looks like in the morning it will be on the low-level lines so will come past the station (not on the lines with the platforms on, the ones that face the rec. If you go and stand at the Victoria-bound end of the station you should be able to see it. In the evening it will be on the high-level lines which cross over the station.

These things can change though so it's not guaranteed... will post any relevant updates tomorrow.

I've noticed by the way you get quite a good view from upstairts in tkmaxx, although you won't get sound effects there

Denmark Hill station might be even better, as you can watch from the bridge.
Denmark Hill's Ok but Wandsworth Rd is better. There's a footbridge there, and you get a longer view in both directions, including towards Victoria with Battersea power station in the background. It would also be a good place to see the return leg because the train will be climbing up the bank that comes up from the Clapham Junction/West London Line.

SM373222v.jpg

classic London trainspotting view! You won't see the Eurostar there these days though, of course.

They are for the UK. Although I think the caledonian sleepers (for the southern half of their journeys before they split into sections) are still the longest passenger trains in the country.

They are for the UK. Although I think the caledonian sleepers (for the southern half of their journeys before they split into sections) are still the longest passenger trains in the country.

Eurostar is longer I think. 20 carriages vs 16 for the sleeper.

Without question the best rail journey in the UK.
When it had a traditional breakfast car. Porridge, a full fry-up and wonky toast, linen table-cloths, as the moor of Rannoch trundled by outside... It's still ace, and if you can carry on as far as Mallaig...

Not much as it had a diesel on the front (with Tornado coupled behind). However I think it'll be under steam power for the return leg this evening.

Back
Top Bottom