Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

This bit of trendy art slapped on the wall of a private, ‘secret’ garden in a luxury development for the well-off somehow forges a link with Brixton’s character, says the developer.

glad Jimmy C has had a chance to create something new and be paid for it.

This bit of trendy art slapped on the wall of a private, ‘secret’ garden in a luxury development for the well-off somehow forges a link with Brixton’s character, says the developer.

Jimmy C has worked to commission for years. Although he may have begun in the graffiti world, he's by no means an underground street artist these days. This feels less to me like an exercise in hyper-gentrification than a developer of what is sadly the going rate for new-build flats trying to make an unlovely location by the South Circular feel like the heart of the cool Brixton action.

All that cringeworthy bit of copy seems to say is 'we've commissioned a mural because there are lots of murals in Brixton'.

Jimmy C has worked to commission for years. Although he may have begun in the graffiti world, he's by no means an underground street artist these days. This feels less to me like an exercise in hyper-gentrification than a developer of what is sadly the going rate for new-build flats trying to make an unlovely location by the South Circular feel like the heart of the cool Brixton action.

All that cringeworthy bit of copy seems to say is 'we've commissioned a mural because there are lots of murals in Brixton'.
I've never seen a luxury development being marketed in Brixton via a 'graffiti artist's' contribution to its secret garden before.

I've never seen a luxury development being marketed in Brixton via a 'graffiti artist's' contribution to its secret garden before.
Me neither. But then I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' development, or think that location to be 'in Brixton', or Jimmy C a 'graffiti artist' or the back yard to be a 'secret garden'.

I suppose 'mid-market new-build flats by South Circular commission muralist to decorate shared courtyard' won't attract too many eyeballs though. 😉

Me neither. But then I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' development, or think that location to be 'in Brixton', or Jimmy C a 'graffiti artist' or the back yard to be a 'secret garden'.

I suppose 'mid-market new-build flats by South Circular commission muralist to decorate shared courtyard' won't attract too many eyeballs though. 😉
Prices start at nearly half a million quid, it's located on Brixton Hill, and the interiors sure look luxurious to me, but perhaps you're living the high life.
And I'm only using the phrases included in the press release.

Prices start at nearly half a million quid, it's located on Brixton Hill, and the interiors sure look luxurious to me, but perhaps you're living the high life.
And I'm only using the phrases included in the press release.
I'm not having a pop at you, so won't rise to the bait.

My point is that the marketing phrases you've quoted are hyperbole. It's a sad fact that the property market is such that poky flats hereabouts are half a million quid, and developers use fittings and finishes to differentiate themselves from their rivals. It doesn't make them into luxury homes - it just means that the builders have worked out that selling tiny flats with flashier decor is worth a few extra pennies out of their pockets, especially if the alternative is selling fewer larger flats with more liveable spaces at a lower spec. All fur coat and no knickers, etc.

And no-one is going to convince me that a site 50m from the junction with the South Circular, at the very point the A23 becomes dual carriageway, and that is 25 mins walk from Brixton tube, is the town centre.

I'm not having a pop at you, so won't rise to the bait.

My point is that the marketing phrases you've quoted are hyperbole. It's a sad fact that the property market is such that poky flats hereabouts are half a million quid, and developers use fittings and finishes to differentiate themselves from their rivals. It doesn't make them into luxury homes - it just means that the builders have worked out that selling tiny flats with flashier decor is worth a few extra pennies out of their pockets, especially if the alternative is selling fewer larger flats with more liveable spaces at a lower spec. All fur coat and no knickers, etc.

And no-one is going to convince me that a site 50m from the junction with the South Circular, at the very point the A23 becomes dual carriageway, and that is 25 mins walk from Brixton tube, is the town centre.
A one bedroom flat for nearly half a million quid is a luxury flat to me.
Good job no one has tired to do that. But it is on Brixton Hill.

A one bedroom flat for nearly half a million quid is a luxury flat to me.
And it's an over-priced rabbit hutch to me. Expensive things are not inherently luxurious. They can just be poor value.

Good job no one has tired to do that. But it is on Brixton Hill.
I looked at the brochure. It sells the attractions of central Brixton very hard. And yes, it is on the Hill. It is a long road.

This book looks a bit lively:

In London, the capital of England, low class uneducated living beings that want to abuse/attack/evict/harm/terrorize/threaten/kill human beings and remain unpunished have a solution: to join the Metropolitan Police Service and to become CRIMINALS-IN-LAW / MONSTERS IN UNIFORMS. The subject of this book is the corruption and the police brutality in the London Borough of Lambeth. The Lambeth London Borough Council owns an unsafe building in Durand Gardens where unsafe rooms are rented (e.g., the rented rooms do not have fire door closers). If anyone who pays rent in that building complains, the Metropolitan Police Service will be in charge of making the eviction in the middle of the night with no warning and with extreme brutality and violence. If any Portuguese Citizen in Little Portugal disappears or dies, have no doubt that the disappearance or death was caused by living being(s) employed by the Metropolitan Police Service. Mentioned in this book are: Alan John Davies, Alison Moore, Andrew Boff, Annie Gallop, António Horta-Osório, Blair Philip, Boris Johnson, Brendan McShane, Caroline Pidgeon, Caroline Russell, David George Buckley, David Kurten, Dominic Raab, DURAND EDUCATION TRUST, Fiona Twycross, Florence Eshalomi, FPSS LIMITED, HORIZONS LEISURE CLUB, Jacqui Dyer, Joseph Martin Casey, Julian George Geary, Kevin Daniel Patrick, LONDON HORIZONS ACCOMODATION, LONDON HORIZONS LIMITED, Mahatma Gandhi, Mark Adrian McLaughlin, Mark William Parsons, Michael Joseph Burke, Murad Qureshi, Nelson Mandela, Nicky Gavron, Paul Gadsby, Paul Scully, Peter Whittle, Philip Blair, Roger Sullivan, Sadiq Khan, Shaun Bailey, Sian Berry, Stuart Simpson, Susan Hall, Susan Mary Shaw, SWIFT INCORPORATIONS LIMITED, Tom Copley, Tom Cornwall and Victor Chinkit.

I'm guessing the flower stall outside the tube is not doing business? I need to buy a decent bunch for a colleague who is leaving tomorrow after many years.

We're firmly in Firework Battle Royale mode around Moorlands Estate. Cops have arrived, but I saw the kids stashing their haul, so round two will be happening soon.

Back
Top Bottom