Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

When I was first in London I remember working on a large house. The basement flat had an retired couple in it. The property developer had bought the whole building.

They had been renting the flat for decades. Back when private renters had secure tenancies and rent controls.

The property developer us builders were working for had to buy them flat outside London to get them out. The really old private tenancy y they had was that secure. And he couldn't up the rent to push them out either. I remember talking to them.

The were retired working class couple.

So what I'm saying is instead of shooting landlords bring back rent controls and secure tenancies for private renters.

I've asked this before.

Do any of the landlords posting here oppose going back to the old days with rent controls and secure tenancies for private renters?

The impression I got was that the only way they could have been evicted is non payment of rent. The flat was pretty basic but they were secure in home on affordable rent.

The property developer wasn't happy as it cut down on his profits.
Yes I do oppose the return to rent controls. I consider my single rented property to be part of my pension pot. Since I'm 74, I don't think it will be long before I need the funds.

I do think there is a role for the private sector to offer some more long term tenancies. That's why I have previously suggested that pension funds should put more of their assets into housing.

Many thanks for these responses.

Original appeal very widely broadcast on the 2nd but no follow up at all.
View attachment 283056

Voice newspaper put the appeal out online and followed up on Twitter on the 4th but that hasn't appear to get a response.
View attachment 283058

Nothing more on the Lambeth Police web site.

Can't see any form of re-appeal or resolution....

i checked the Missing People website and found the same as ricbake

...hopefully he will be found safe soon.

On the Twitter thread initiated by the Metropolitan Police, two people have claimed that this child has been found (and very shortly after the original appeal), but I cannot see any such confirmation from the police themselves and even The Voice newspaper were seeking confirmation.

E7xUJHBWEAAgMug

Is there any definitive confirmation that Kermani Jhonwilon is now safe and well?​

Yes I do oppose the return to rent controls. I consider my single rented property to be part of my pension pot. Since I'm 74, I don't think it will be long before I need the funds.

I do think there is a role for the private sector to offer some more long term tenancies. That's why I have previously suggested that pension funds should put more of their assets into housing.

And you ask why people are anti landlords.

You finally made it clear what side your on.

Thanks for making that clear.

And you ask why people are anti landlords.

You finally made it clear what side your on.

Thanks for making that clear.
I would have thought it was obvious from my first post what side I was on.

What I have been trying to elicit is why there is such vitiol on here towards private landlords.

Already posted over a week ago. What's your opinion of the piece?
Here's some total fluff:

What I have been trying to elicit is why there is such vitiol on here towards private landlords.

Because housing should be a basic human right, a universal principle of a decent society. Everyone should have access to good quality, safe, secure, comfortable housing that isn’t contingent on how much they earn or whatever. Privatising that significantly reduces the chance of that. And no matter how ‘good’ you are as a landlord, your life circumstances can change in the blink of an eye, meaning that the property(ies) you rent out you have to sell or take back, meaning tenants are forced to move and face homelessness. That’s not something I could live with, subjecting someone to that level of stress and upheaval.

Because I've paid my landlord £200,000 in rent, always on time, and I've minimised her indoor maintenance bills to almost nothing, and can still be thrown out anytime. Because the value of the flat has increased by 400 grand while I've been here. And because if she got rid of me I wouldn't find anywhere comparable to live because I would fail the financial background check which all the landlords in the gentrified areas use now.

You complained when editor posted about landlords should be shot.

I've posted several reforms to private renting. From abolishing landlords to rent controls.

You haven't shown any interest in them.

You said you opposed rent controls

You can't see that the power inbalance at present between landlord and renters in this society can end up causing vitriol

One reason ,as you as a landlord confirmed, is that the landlord class will resist any reforms which reduce the social power they have.

The vitriol is caused by the inability to bring about any reforms.

I'm at a loss to explain to you why landlord class may be subject to vitriol. Other than what I've already posted.

Because housing should be a basic human right, a universal principle of a decent society. Everyone should have access to good quality, safe, secure, comfortable housing that isn’t contingent on how much they earn or whatever. Privatising that significantly reduces the chance of that. And no matter how ‘good’ you are as a landlord, your life circumstances can change in the blink of an eye, meaning that the property(ies) you rent out you have to sell or take back, meaning tenants are forced to move and face homelessness. That’s not something I could live with, subjecting someone to that level of stress and upheaval.
Food's quite important. Are you anti food-retailers too? If you don't have enough money, Tesco will send you away hungry. Are they evil?

If everyone's entitled to good quality housing, then why should anyone bother paying their rent?

Food's quite important. Are you anti food-retailers too? If you don't have enough money, Tesco will send you away hungry. Are they evil?

If everyone's entitled to good quality housing, then why should anyone bother paying their rent?
Where has anyone suggested that people shouldn't pay rent?
And why are you opposed to the notion that everyone should be entitled to a decent place to live?

I think everyone should have universal access to good food, yes. I don’t like that people make profit from food, it should be structured in a different way. Hope that helps. :)

Where has anyone suggested that people shouldn't pay rent?
And why are you opposed to the notion that everyone should be entitled to a decent place to live?
He said "Everyone should have access to good quality, safe, secure, comfortable housing that isn’t contingent on how much they earn or whatever". 'Everyone' includes unemployed people, and people who can't afford the rent.

Everyone already is entitled to a decent place to live, if they pay for it. If they don't pay for it, then they don't get it. Do you think people should have decent housing without having to pay for it?

It's reasonable to expect people to pay for housing. Housing isn't a right, it's something you have to pay for. Most people accept that.

He said "Everyone should have access to good quality, safe, secure, comfortable housing that isn’t contingent on how much they earn or whatever". 'Everyone' includes unemployed people, and people who can't afford the rent.

Everyone already is entitled to a decent place to live, if they pay for it. If they don't pay for it, then they don't get it. Do you think people should have decent housing without having to pay for it?

It's reasonable to expect people to pay for housing. Housing isn't a right, it's something you have to pay for. Most people accept that.

I’m not a he. And actually even at the moment if you can’t afford housing, you can get benefits to pay for it. So not even our current shitshow of a system is quite as bad as your perspective. But this is pointless as I think housing is a right and you don’t, so we won’t agree and I can’t be bothered to have a pointless back and forth.

Who is most people?

In other countries decent housing that Is affordable is included in human rights.

There is a case to be made that human rights should be extended beyond free speech to social rights. This would make rights more relevant to "most" people imo.

In other countries this is the case. Even if the right is not enforced enough.

In this country housing has become commodified.

As you say everyone has the choice if they can front up the money.

Making it a human right symbolically would change the debate.

Would mean people like you and a few other posters couldn't just assume its commonsense that landlords can make money out of people and shouldn't be hindered in this commercial enterprise.

What's wrong with being a landlord?

What's wrong with being a pimp?

What's wrong with profiting from other people's labour?

If you truly don't know, deep down, then nothing we can say will explain it for you.

I don't believe you don't already know, deep down, though.

You don't really need us mere tenants to (yet again) do the work for you so you can understand why you are despised.

Poor little (not really) confused landlord that you are. Struggling (not) so hard to see how it looks from the perspective of the precarious masses.

There is no such thing as a ‘good landlord’

"There are, broadly, two types of people in this world. Those who think landlords are price-gouging parasites, and the landlords perpetually surprised that everyone despises them."

Last edited:

Also you and others have tried to make out anyone criticising the present state of affairs is full of vitriol or moralistic ( evil Tescos).

Its quite possible to view society in a way that isn't in these emotional or moralistic ways. But as it is.

Its a fact that landlords make money out of renters. It is their interest to resist things like rent controls which will affect the money they might make. This in the present state of affairs is perfectly rational response.

Yet when renters or non landlords complain about this state of affairs they are regarded as being moralistic or vitriolic.

TBF this is really annoying.

In a society based around class and profit it is rational for renters to argue for less rent and more rights.

Last edited:
Also you and others have tried to make out anyone criticising the present state of affairs is full of vitriol or moralistic ( evil Tescos).

Its quite possible to view society in a way that isn't in these emotional or moralistic ways. But as it is.

Its a fact that landlords make money out of renters. It is their interest to resist things like rent controls which will affect the money they might make. This in the present state of affairs is perfectly rational response.

Yet when renters or non landlords complain about this state of affairs they are regarded as being moralistic or vitriolic.

TBF this is really annoying.

In a society based around class and profit it is rational for renters to argue more less rent and more rights.

You are quite right of course.

However, and speaking only for myself, I am full of vitriol towards private landlords and other such social and economic parasites. I am moral, and I do judge.

Just to repeat: I didn't literally mean that I wanted them killed. I'd settle for them having their roles reversed so they desperately struggle to find the rent every week while their tenants keep on pushing up the prices.

Yes I know.

I would have thought landlords who are doing alright out of the way the system works would be little less touchy.

After all with this Tory government the hard pressed buy to letters who have a flat as so called pension are safe from renters and complainers like me who never got on the proper housing ladder.

Objectively why come on left of centre Discussion board complaining people are saying nasty things about landlords.

What's wrong with being a landlord?

What's wrong with being a pimp?

What's wrong with profiting from other people's labour?

If you truly don't know, deep down, then nothing we can say will explain it for you.

I don't believe you don't already know, deep down, though.

You don't really need us mere tenants to (yet again) do the work for you so you can understand why you are despised.

Poor little (not really) confused landlord that you are. Struggling (not) so hard to see how it looks from the perspective of the not-owning masses.

There is no such thing as a ‘good landlord’

"There are, broadly, two types of people in this world. Those who think landlords are price-gouging parasites, and the landlords perpetually surprised that everyone despises them."

Good article.

Landlords are able to generate wealth precisely because there is wealth inequality.

This is how the system works in a nutshell. Why the landlords posting here get so upset at this fact is annoying.

Back
Top Bottom