Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer - Autumn 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very poignant... :(

tribute-graffiti-artists-01.jpg

tribute-graffiti-artists-02.jpg

Tributes to three graffiti artists killed by a train appear in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

Thanks for offer. But I'd rather leave this new thread as it is.

Ive found Brixton forum rather dispiriting recently.
You're not the only one but I hope you can carry on posting as usual and remember that some of the opinions here really, really don't represent the Brixton we know.

Anybody know the story behind this planning application at the Effra Social?
18/01851/FUL | Change of use of upper floors from ancillary staff accommodation in connection with restaurant/ public house (Class A3/A4) to three self-contained units (2 x 2-bed. 1 x 3-bed), involving erection of rear extension at first and second floor level, and installation of dormer window to front elevation. | 89 Effra Road London SW2 1DF

A friend from Morval Road got a consultation letter on Friday 22nd June - with a consultation deadline of Friday 29th June.

The application is to convert ancillary staff accommodation above the pub (claimed as disused) into two 2 bed and one 1 bed flats self-contained flats.

Nothing said at all about the pub use below - but the applicant Flutterby Ltd is one of many Anthony Thomas (Antic) companies - so they could be simply proposing to sell flats above a thriving pub.

I only mention as we've had issues with the Grosvenor and others in a similar situation.

Anybody know the story behind this planning application at the Effra Social?
18/01851/FUL | Change of use of upper floors from ancillary staff accommodation in connection with restaurant/ public house (Class A3/A4) to three self-contained units (2 x 2-bed. 1 x 3-bed), involving erection of rear extension at first and second floor level, and installation of dormer window to front elevation. | 89 Effra Road London SW2 1DF

A friend from Morval Road got a consultation letter on Friday 22nd June - with a consultation deadline of Friday 29th June.

The application is to convert ancillary staff accommodation above the pub (claimed as disused) into two 2 bed and one 1 bed flats self-contained flats.

Nothing said at all about the pub use below - but the applicant Flutterby Ltd is one of many Anthony Thomas (Antic) companies - so they could be simply proposing to sell flats above a thriving pub.

I only mention as we've had issues with the Grosvenor and others in a similar situation.
I'm pretty sure that there is no one living above the pub - they opened it up for a Halloween special once - but if they're putting private flats above the Effra that's surely got to curtail the pub's activities because the first thing selfish, self centred yuppies do when they move next to a pub is complain about it.

Have your say on an Extension of the Public Spaces Protection Order for Novel Psychoactive Substances | Lambeth Council

Deadline for responses
On Sunday 29 July 2018 at 11pm

We need your views. We want to extend our Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) which prohibits the possession and misuse of Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) in Lambeth. Our existing PSPO expires on the 16 August 2018.

What is a PSPO?
It is an Order that bans specific behaviours and activities within a defined area. We must show that anything that we ban is having a persistent, unreasonable and detrimental effect on the quality of life of people who live, work and visit that area (locality).

What are Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS)?
NPS used to be commonly known as ‘legal highs’. They often contain one or more chemical substances which produce similar effects to illegal drugs. Nitrous oxide, or ‘laughing gas’, is a well-known example of an NPS.

The wording of the Order itself uses the term ‘intoxicating substances’ which is defined as ‘substances with the capacity to stimulate or depress the central nervous system’. This does not include alcohol and has exemptions for substances used for ‘medicinal purposes’.

incident on arodene road just opposite Stir Coffee on the Hill, not sure what happened but there were 6 cop cars minimum and an ambulance. hope whoever is on the floor is ok.

The original policy was put in place after a Lambeth consultation showed that 0.01% of the population in the borough was affected by anti-social behaviour from legal highs.

Quite - it’s a ridiculous policy. It’s also legally shaky - there have been court cases where nitrous dioxide has been found not to fall within the proscribed definition because of its use as a medical anaesthetic.

If Lambeth really wanted to focus on the antisocial aspect they’d crack down on the associated littering. Or, more pragmatically, provide recycling bins for the canisters.

The original policy was put in place after a Lambeth consultation showed that 0.01% of the population in the borough was affected by anti-social behaviour from legal highs.
I remember that. The consultation questionnaire was very badly designed and you only had about 100 characters to expand upon your responses.

As somebody who sometimes designs questionnaire it was in no way fit for purpose.

Anybody read the "Fame Academy" feature in last weekend's Standard magazine?
Identity School of Acting: a London drama school like no other
sei-16938609.jpg
I'm only commenting because I noticed the place already - it's at the back of the mini NatWest Bank on the cut-through from Brixton Road to the market.

It's been operating with the doors open this week due to excess heat, and the clientele looked pretty white and male to me (except for a hijab-wearing receptionist), so looks a bit like a normal theatre school in the area might given what Brixton has now become. I think the school principal has managed to get an article written that hypes a theme that may not represent present students.

BTW I notice (from their prospectus) that Identity School of Acting is or was based in Whitechapel. Be interesting to know if they have now moved to Brixton, or just opened a Brixton site in addition by way of expansion.

The Brixton space they are in is the former offices of the World Development Movement (which moved to Kennington Park some years ago then renamed itself "Global Justice Now").

Anybody read the "Fame Academy" feature in last weekend's Standard magazine?
Identity School of Acting: a London drama school like no other
View attachment 139157
I'm only commenting because I noticed the place already - it's at the back of the mini NatWest Bank on the cut-through from Brixton Road to the market.

It's been operating with the doors open this week due to excess heat, and the clientele looked pretty white and male to me (except for a hijab-wearing receptionist), so looks a bit like a normal theatre school in the area might given what Brixton has now become. I think the school principal has managed to get an article written that hypes a theme that may not represent present students.

BTW I notice (from their prospectus) that Identity School of Acting is or was based in Whitechapel. Be interesting to know if they have now moved to Brixton, or just opened a Brixton site in addition by way of expansion.

The Brixton space they are in is the former offices of the World Development Movement (which moved to Kennington Park some years ago then renamed itself "Global Justice Now").
I often see their students in local cafes, practicing lines with each other.

Reactions: CH1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom