Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to say until I get it confirmed. I was thinking that others may have heard something but I suspect it won't be the last pub/club to go as the landlords rack up the rents to nu-Brixton levels.

I know a couple of older venues are just not getting the footfall they did. Rent rises won't help them at all.

I know a couple of older venues are just not getting the footfall they did. Rent rises won't help them at all.
What with Lambeth-sponsored Pop Brixton and US Billionaire-sponsored Brixton Village grabbing all the publicity and new footfall, it's o surprise to see some venues struggling in the face of such resourceful competition. That said, places like the Effra Social, Effra Hall Tavern, PoW, Jam and Albert etc still seem to be doing pretty good business (not that that will protect them from going under due to huge rent rises).

I will read between the lines of omissions on that!

Do you have a contact at the social who will actually respond to a query. Ska fest organisers are looking at it as a venue and getting no reply!

I'm sure all Antic pubs/bars will be fine, they roll with the gentrifying. Albert looks to be getting hurt by Brewdog and Rum Kitchen on a weekend. Not sure about PoW. Jamm will be ok.

I'm sure all Antic pubs/bars will be fine, they roll with the gentrifying.
Nope. They put a load of them up for sale/rent a while ago.
Antic London market 11 pubs with Fleurets
Albert looks to be getting hurt by Brewdog and Rum Kitchen on a weekend. Not sure about PoW. Jamm will be ok.
Albert still seems pretty busy to me on weekends, but getting rid of the live bands and consigning the DJs to a big box in the corner and turning the sound down has maybe made it less of a party venue.

In the week, it almost always does better than most other local pubs/bars.

I think you have in the past editor posted details about Wandsworth Council operating an active policy of offering established venues a kind of cultural asset listed status protecting against unscrupulous landlords wanting to sell off the land to developers for a quick buck. This should be implemented nationwide, and there should also be protection against unduly rent increases.

The latter is sadly far less likely to happen any time soon, but it’s a disgrace the former is not policy in Lambeth. Even the perma-Tory Westminster and the until-recently Tory controlled Wandsworth can appreciate the value and significance of established local venues and put them above property speculators’ interests ffs...

Loved the sound of that steam train just going by. Couldn't see anything because of all the yuppie flats that have now been built, so no photos.

Reactions: ash
I think you have in the past editor posted details about Wandsworth Council operating an active policy of offering established venues a kind of cultural asset listed status protecting against unscrupulous landlords wanting to sell off the land to developers for a quick buck. This should be implemented nationwide, and there should also be protection against unduly rent increases.

The latter is sadly far less likely to happen any time soon, but it’s a disgrace the former is not policy in Lambeth. Even the perma-Tory Westminster and the until-recently Tory controlled Wandsworth can appreciate the value and significance of established local venues and put them above property speculators’ interests ffs...
Lambeth councillors were very supportive of the campaign to save the Royal Vauxhall Tavern and it ended up getting community assert status which has given it a good degree of protection from developers. I think the big problem with pubs is that people’s habits have changed. More people drink in restaurants and bars. Lunchtime drinking is all but a thing of the past anywhere away from central London. People drink less in general due to greater awareness of safe limits ( boring bastards). As much as I hate the owner, weathersooons offer good beers at cheap prices and that seems to be the business model that still packs them out midweek. But no other operators have the economies of scale they enjoy to enable them to match pricing.

Loved the sound of that steam train just going by. Couldn't see anything because of all the yuppie flats that have now been built, so no photos.
I was on it - steam dreams are doing a 4 hour Surrey loop every Tuesday it was quite an experience. Sad you can no longer see it : (

The guy who appears to be head of the company that kicked out the 414 Club has recently been appointed secretary of Brixton Village - so presumably he was hired by Mr Billionaire Socialite. If anyone fancies having a dig about please post in this thread with what you've found: Club 414 to close at the end of May 2019

I was on it - steam dreams are doing a 4 hour Surrey loop every Tuesday it was quite an experience. Sad you can no longer see it : (
How much was that Ash?

I looked up their website and it says trips from £79 but they all seem to be a bit longer than four hours.

My son would love that, but I couldn't stretch to that sort of money.

I've just learnt that a Brixton venue has a 'Guest Experience Coordinator'.
Now that's a job title.

Why is there a Chinook landing in Brixton?
According to Twitter escape from Brixton prison and helicopter tried to land in Ruskin park, could all be bollocks of course.

Whoops they are old posts from years ago.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom