Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that Peter Mahew the Star Wars wookie actor lived in Effra Court, bottom of Brixton Hill in the early 1980s.

The IMDB biography online says Mahew was born in Barnes, and worked at Kings College Hospital as an orderly prior to being talent spotted.

He had a one bedroom flat upstairs in the block (price at the time would have been maybe £16,000 - £18,000 top wack).
He complained that he had problems with Lambeth rates department. Being an actor he had a lot of time "resting" and apparently whilst Lambeth would sign you on for Rate benefit if you were unemployed, they couldn't cope with signing people on, then signing off a few weeks later.

I only got to know him (assuming he is the one) because Peter Mahew was one of many leaseholders in the block who formed a residents group to oppose measures the new owners of Effra Court were trying to impose measures to extract "value" from leaseholders - like compulsory new windows and lease extensions.

It seems Peter Mahew moved to America where he became an American citizen in 2005.

Brixton photos

brixton-orchard-may-2019-05.jpg

brixton-orchard-may-2019-09.jpg

brixton-orchard-may-2019-11.jpg

In photos: Brixton Orchard begins to bloom in the spring sunshine, May 2019

Already closed down in Herne Hill afaik.

I quite like the Wine Parlour and it’s run by locals who also operate the bar in The Hideaway in Streatham.
Personally, I hate the place.

The Vintage 1824 store in Herne Hill is still listed as open (described as 'peak gentility' by The Times).

1*8i_qNAzm8VVSqorGLOCarQ.jpeg

It definitely closed a while back and the site is up for rent. Interesting that it failed in ostensibly a more wealthy and middle class area.

Last edited:
Hey older drinkers in Brixton! hooray - I'm so fed up on the very rare occasion I venture into Brixton for a drink (early of course as I have no ID) that I'm usually twice the age of the average punter. If only crap beer is on offer (as it is in so many Brixtone establishments) then I quite like drinking wine. I did think that the Wine Parlour looked a bit pretentious when I've walked by it before, but I'll certainly have another look now, thanks editor.

Hey older drinkers in Brixton! hooray - I'm so fed up on the very rare occasion I venture into Brixton for a drink (early of course as I have no ID) that I'm usually twice the age of the average punter. If only crap beer is on offer (as it is in so many Brixtone establishments) then I quite like drinking wine. I did think that the Wine Parlour looked a bit pretentious when I've walked by it before, but I'll certainly have another look now, thanks editor.
if that's the kind of place you like to hang out, enjoy!

It definitely closed a while back and the site is up for rent. Interesting that it failed in ostensibly a more wealthy and middle class area.
Perhaps they couldn't achieve the required footfall compared to Brixton which is already high on the list for wildly expensive restaurants and cocktail bars.

Nice weather for ducks. I just spotted a pair of of them in Rush Common, I'm guessing refugees from Brockwell Park duck pond. In other news, the scaffolding is coming down from McDonalds

Last edited:
Here's one for those folks who are always having those 'occasional treats.' Veggies and vegans can fuck off, apparently.

Here's one for those folks who are always having those 'occasional treats.' Veggies and vegans can fuck off, apparently.

It says vegan or veggie options available if you let them know in advance. £30 is v cheap for 5 courses tbh. As is 5 wines for £18. You’d struggle to get even the teeniest of wines for £3 a glass anywhere.

ETA my maths is off. It’s £3.60 a glass which is still cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom