Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is their Facebook page down? I was just rolling my sleeves up :(
Nah, I see it.

Bartering day at the bar - lots of head bashing and final result left us with a great new fridge, a professional toaster, a church bench (obvs!), a fantastic vintage sofa set, a lovely leather sofa and a....weird old gym horse. If you see anything you like, keep in mind all of our furniture is for sale #furniture #otcbar (5 photos)

"obvs!" ffs

I just think it's hysterical that they feel the need to be 'safe' from the terrifying, white, middle class denizens of Herne Hill. Maybe they want to avoid having their ear chewed off about why organic is best, or local house prices....

Maybe they want to avoid talking to anyone who wants to avoid talking about farmers markets and property.

Speaking of which do you think they'll ban flat caps in there as part of the protection from stuff like that?
I have to go to HH every damn week to get our stupid cat her food from the vets and it's wall to wall beards and flat caps down there.
that vet delivers…. so you can protect yourself without paying the membership fee ;)

I am mates with this fella (years - former Half Moon regular) who is opening it and he is not the gentrification sort. He is a flat capped Geordie builder who likes pints and Newcastle United.

Went down the other day when they were working on it (he is doing much of the building work with his own hands) Basically it looks like a small aircraft hanger.

Not too sure what his plans are and think the private members could be something to do with the licensing laws but I had no idea he was charging a £100 for it.

I a a bit baffled by it to be honest, when I went down I was not described as the sort of place the promo material claims

I will ask him when I see him next

that vet delivers…. so you can protect yourself without paying the membership fee ;)
Oh yeah! I forgot they did that.
But I feel poncy enough going there to buy tippity tip top cat grub, because our moggy is a right nob, so would feel iffy having them deliver.

editor
e4agydeq.jpg

Yup;) they deliver us the stonking great bags of dry food that I can barely lift, and huge sacks of environmentally friendly cat litter.

10 bloody years or so I've been going there - didn't realise that.. I've been balancing those huge ludicrously expensive on the back of my bike for most of those years... :mad: do they charge loads for it? *goes to check website*

mind you we increasingly make them eat the cheap stuff anyways...

10 bloody years or so I've been going there - didn't realise that.. I've been balancing those huge ludicrously expensive on the back of my bike for most of those years... :mad: do they charge loads for it? *goes to check website*

mind you we increasingly make them eat the cheap stuff anyways...
It's free

E2a we'd live to feed idiot cat the cheap stuff, but...well.... You've met him :facepalm::oops:

Last edited:
I think the private members could be something to do with the licensing laws but I had no idea he was charging a £100 for it.
There's no licensing laws I know of that compel cheese & wine shopkeepers to open up a bouncer-protected, private members club charging its exclusive members £100/year!
I a a bit baffled by it to be honest, when I went down I was not described as the sort of place the promo material claims

I will ask him when I see him next
I've only posted up stuff they made publicly available on their own Facebook page.

Ah, they've added a description of the private members club to their website:

MEMBERSHIP
Off The Cuff is South London's only private members bar on Friday and Saturday night. Providing an exclusive space for you and your friends to enjoy live music, special member's wine tastings and much more, at £100 per year, we know you'll welcome the secure, fun and inviting environment the OTC after dark members only experience has to offer.
Please enquire with either Tony or Jennie about membership application

http://www.otcbar.co.uk/membership.html
There's that word "secure" again. Weird.

I'm not sure I've ever tried an "after dark members only experience." I don't expect I ever will.

Aye I have just seen that, I was hoping it was going to be a boozer to watch the world cup. Tis why I am proper surprised

Aye I have just seen that, I was hoping it was going to be a boozer to watch the world cup. Tis why I am proper surprised
Here's their opening hours:
Monday-Thursday 9am-11:30pm
Friday & Saturday 11am-3am
Sunday 11am-midnight
I don't think it's the kind of place for watching football and drinking cans of Newcastle Brown with your mates.

I'm not surprised you can't comprehend the joys of cheese and wine if you think anybody would drink Newcastle Brown from a can!

I use to enjoy your posts and photos... but now Sir... NOW SIR.... you are dead to me!
Cans, bottles, it's all northern muck to me.

*this is a tease of course, although I haven't drunk Newcastle brown since I was about 17

OTC need to work on that website, poor show so far. Guess it's early days and they are busy sourcing the bespoke relcaimed furniture.
That'll upset those well loved chaps at Tique Booty who up until now have had exclusive rights on daubing paint on crap abandoned furniture and sticking a big piece tag on it.

"Secure" sounds great to me!
Somewhere where I can go of a late evening, let my kids run around and have the staff look out for them. Leave my laptop and phone on the table while I nip to the bogs (or out for a cheeky cheroot) and not be afeared of having anyone read/steal my work in progress or just plain nick my laptop and/or phone and do a gob in my merlot.
Need to get some kids first mind. Might be a while before I sign up.

In boring petty news, our letting agents are still refusing to take their bloody 'let by' sign down outside our house. It's been 8 weeks now.

If you can't beat them, join em.

So I'm going to get some posters printed, plaster the front of the house in "Oliver Burn - Simply The Best" advertisements, get some t shirts and fliers done and have an Oliver Burn Information Day this weekend and pester passers by exclaiming the good news and spreading the Good Book of 2 bedroom flats available in your area. Get the local press down, maybe get a loud haler, it'll be a fun day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom