Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton nail bombing

Never mind victims being whitewashed out of history, some colleagues were watching the Netflix series at work, could barely remember the event and were surprised when I named the assailant.

I’d like to remember Gary Shilling, the 14 year old lad who moved the bag containing the bomb to the side of the road. He caught a nail in the foot. Had he not done that, more people may have been injured or killed.

A BOY of 14 told last night how he coolly moved the Brixton nail bomb seconds before it exploded in a bid to save lives.

Brave Gary Shilling emerged a hero as police sources said they believed the devastating attack was a race revenge crime carried out by a far-Right group or a "lone nutter."

Thirty-nine people were injured, four seriously. A mystery blond man is being hunted.

Gary went to investigate after the device was planted between stalls on South London's Brixton market in a Head sports bag.

He said: "I opened the bag and saw two boxes - one of them full of nails - wires and a clock.

"I realised straight off it was a bomb. I knew I had to get it away and looked round for the safest place that would help save lives."

After trying to cut tape holding the boxes together, he carried the bag to the side of a nearby supermarket.

Seconds later, the device exploded. Gary was hurt by a nail which penetrated his boot. Last night, it was feared two of the injured could lose their sight.

Someone (Pip maybe? and I know she don’t post anymore) asked after the child who got a nail in the head:

Amazingly, the toddler whose brain was speared by a nail was sitting up in bed in good spirits yesterday after a 90-minute op.

Surgeons at Great Ormond Street Hospital said he was unlikely to suffer long term brain damage. Although the nail penetrated an inch, there was no major damage to blood vessels.

Brixton innit…
Eye-witnesses told yesterday how a shabby man - possibly a down and out or junkie - STOLE the bomb bag after removing the device and placing it on the ground.

Market trader Lee Walden, 19, said: "I saw two men carrying a bag. I asked them what was in it, and they said 'It's a bomb.'

"At first, I laughed. Then I looked inside the bag and saw a clock in a box wired to two batteries. There were two wires leading into a cardboard box under a plastic container. It was packed with nails.

"We were telling people to keep away. Then this bloke wandered up, and started to lift the bomb out.

"We were shouting 'Leave it alone, it's a bomb!' But he just muttered that it was a nice new bag, took the bomb out, picked up the bag and strolled off with it."

All from here

Photos of Gary Shilling here.

He really was just a lad

Here’s a story about some of the victims.

Aiah Menjor was the security guard who was badlyinjured.
Mr Menjor said: "Nobody took it seriously because people were saying to me 'oh man, look, we have never had this before and we don't expect a bomb to be here. This is not a bomb'.

"Even when I said 'move' they wouldn't move. They would say 'no, we don't expect this in Brixton so this is not a bomb'."

Mr Menjor is being treated at St Thomas's hospital, south London.

And a bit more about Gary Shilling.
Gary Shilling, 14, who removed the bag with the explosive away from the busy shopping area, was greeted with cheers as he returned to the bomb site to see his friends at the market before going to school.

The teenager, whose foot was pierced by a six-inch nail, said: "I'm fine, but my foot is knackered."

"It was terrifying. I found the bag and moved it out of innocent people's way, and seconds later there was just a huge bang."

There were many others. I’ve not trawled for their names. These few came up right away.

It’s possible that the unnamed ones preferred to remain anonymous.

It is the 25th anniversary of the Brixton nail bomb today, Wednesday 17th April.

View attachment 420266

There’s a community gathering in Brixton at 6pm this evening outside Iceland led by @NationalHCAW to remember and stand together in solidarity.
I lived at the railway bridge end of Hubert Grove at the time and remember feeling this tiny ripple - or perceiving something very slight in some way - and asking 'what was that?' Not long after a big army helicopter could be seen in the distance and the news started to break...

I think urbanites made up about 10% of the crowd at the ceremony yesterday.

View attachment 420371

I was there - and as a hard of hearing person I comment Helen Hayes for clear articulation - I heard every word she said in her speech.

Back
Top Bottom