Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Fridge busted in massive police raid!

linerider said:
this is less about drugs and more about the local election as far as i can see
This is an outrageous suggestion.

Don't forget how concerned your local elected representatives are about your community.

Polling Day 4th May, folks !

The Fridge owners/management are allegedly dodgy as fuck.

I can't put up details but I know of somebody I know who was the victim of serious crime on the premises and was advised that pursuing it through the police was not advisable and could result in him or members of his family getting into serious trouble.

If the police raiding the premises was just for drug dealers then I think this is too much of a coincidence.

Well we can all sleep soundly now that people who had chosen to go to a club and to buy drugs of their own free will will no longer be able to do so.

Just think of the drop in muggings now that clubbers are unable to buy Es on a Saturday night.

Least crack addicts won't be affected by this, as a quick walk down Coldhabour Lane on Monday, I was offered drugs twice.

lang rabbie said:
What I wanted to know was by what process did that quote (apparently out of touch with reality IMHO) end up being attributed by the Press Association to "independent" John Roberts in a story that otherwise appeared to be a cut and paste from a Metropolitan Police press release. :confused:
I would think the journo just took bits and pieces from whatever they had to hand. The MPA do issue their own press releases but sometimes, in the case of pre-planned operations, they may do a joint one with the Met. I've seen quotes from police officers included in MPA releases as well as quotes from the MPA in police ones.

In fairness to John Roberts, the quote taken on it's own does seem somewhat out of touch with reality and he is not normally like that. I suspect it is a single sentence taken out of context to some extent.

brixtonvilla said:
Naaaah. Fabric or Heaven would still have made the headlines. Still, drugs in the Fridge. Who'dathunkit? Is nowhere safe? You'll be telling me there's drugs in George IV or the Telegraph next...

The only reason this happened on this night, at this time was because they knew it would be mainly white people (so no fear of being called racist) & it would be pretty empty (so not too much work would need to be done).

If they really wanted a full crackdown then why not raid 10 bars / clubs with just 20 officers per place all at the same time and actually get a hell of a lot more dealers.

And just because undercover police catch drug dealers / takers in licenced premises does not make all bar / club owners and managers irresponsible, incompetent and unwilling to work with police. The police should take the responsibility that if they could control them in the first place then they would not be in the bars / clubs!

DJWrongspeed said:
Thank u CPCG for explain this all to us, a worthy post indeed, i can understand the logic, it's weird it's all in the news maybe nuffin else is worth reporting right now! ;)

as far as remember the Fridge used to know when they were gonna be raided in the past, now they have different owners, perhaps they're not clued up.....

Good point, it's amazing what money can buy.....

south london press said:
A trained paramedic would also have to be at the premises at all times and would be told to keep an eye out for anyone showing signs of drug-taking.
hahaha :D

this bit is interesting though:
Evidence supplied by the cops suggests the club has been sold recently and no application has been made to transfer the licence, making it illegal for the venue to sell alcohol. Mystery surrounds the new owners, who are described as "a consortium of Chinese businessmen", but the police have been unable to contact them.

Oh, maybe we're getting a new Chinese takeaway :D

Sorry :oops:

I'd be a bit worried if it was a Japanese consortium. Might end up as a huge karaoke club

han said:
But there are still so many more important things they should've been doing than this....I can't believe it was even on their to-do list!
Clearly the judge disagreed:

In the Evening Standard yesterday, tucked away in the News-in-Brief column on page 14 or something was an item which reported that a drug dealer arrested in this operation (who was from Harrow) was sentenced to six years imprisonment for supplying cocaine, ecstasy and ketamine.

And while I'm here, you know everyone was suggesting that these sorts of operations happen all the time and are a total waste of police time, etc. ... has anyone noticed any since?

detective-boy said:

In the Evening Standard yesterday, tucked away in the News-in-Brief column on page 14 or something was an item which reported that a drug dealer arrested in this operation (who was from Harrow) was sentenced to six years imprisonment for supplying cocaine, ecstasy and ketamine.

Which has not stopped those who want cocaine, ecstasy or ketamine from buying it, at all, I suspect.

Giles..

Giles said:
Which has not stopped those who want cocaine, ecstasy or ketamine from buying it, at all, I suspect.

Giles..

And are the users of those drugs the ones that cause most of Brixton's problems anyway?

detective-boy said:
With our bizarre judicial system, he'd probably have got a shorter sentence for committing murder......:rolleyes:

EastEnder said:
With our bizarre judicial system, he'd probably have got a shorter sentence for committing murder......:rolleyes:

I have never understood why drug dealing carries such heavy custodial penalties.

it does seem like a hefty sentence for somebody supplying a few clubbing pills. Meanwhile South London's crack mountain grows ever larger...
:mad:

RushcroftRoader said:
it does seem like a hefty sentence for somebody supplying a few clubbing pills. Meanwhile South London's crack mountain grows ever larger...
:mad:

any idea where they keep it?

detective-boy said:

And while I'm here, you know everyone was suggesting that these sorts of operations happen all the time and are a total waste of police time, etc. ... has anyone noticed any since?

So...

Q: How many policeman does it take to catch one drug-dealer...?

A: More than two hundred...!

Strange, I can usually find them quite easily in clubs...

detective-boy said:
The question is whether or not the public at large are out of touch. I suspect majority views are changing as generations familiar with the club scene grow older but until the public at large (via their politicians) change their minds about the illegality of drugs then it will remain illegal and the police will have to take some action against them.
errr...don't you think the more germane question is how out of touch the people who make all the laws are? In my (hefty) experience of them, in their insular world they invariably lag well behind public opinion

EastEnder said:

Six years sounds well fuckng harsh, especially as I consider anybody selling Es and K to be providing a valuable public service!

Yossarian said:
Six years sounds well fuckng harsh, especially as I consider anybody selling Es and K to be providing a valuable public service!
spot on!
So, as a result of this raid...
handful of people nicked,
chance of their trade and supply won't continue in someone else's hands - zero
number people persuaded that taking drugs is a really bad idea - zero.
amount which the Great drugs Debate has advanced - zero.
Number of people jailed for providing someone with something which won't kill him or anyone, and which they freely purchased - one.
amount of money spent on achieving FUCK ALL as a result of all this - I shudder to think.

Red Jezza said:
errr...don't you think the more germane question is how out of touch the people who make all the laws are? In my (hefty) experience of them, in their insular world they invariably lag well behind public opinion
I quite agree (especially in relation to drugs). But the point is that you cannot expect the police to turn a blind eye to a dealer operating to the extent that it merits a six year sentence as the law stands at present. Particularly as the nature of the operation suggests that the owners of the premises were, at best, failing to notice what was going on in their premises.

Red Jezza said:
spot on!
So, as a result of this raid...
handful of people nicked,
chance of their trade and supply won't continue in someone else's hands - zero
number people persuaded that taking drugs is a really bad idea - zero.
amount which the Great drugs Debate has advanced - zero.
Number of people jailed for providing someone with something which won't kill him or anyone, and which they freely purchased - one.
amount of money spent on achieving FUCK ALL as a result of all this - I shudder to think.
Large licensed premises prevented from descending further into the control of drug dealers - one.

Which, as I have said from the start, was probably one of the principle reasons for the operation being conducted in the way it was.

detective-boy said:
Large licensed premises prevented from descending further into the control of drug dealers - one.

Which, as I have said from the start, was probably one of the principle reasons for the operation being conducted in the way it was.
but it has always been, for as long as I've been going there, 'in the control of drug dealers' in that they can operate freely there.
And most of the patrons have absolutely no objection to the premises 'descending further' etc (I know - I go to the Fridge often), and would rather see more drugs in there, not less. :confused:
I should explain; I am NOT having a pop at dibble. they have to implement the Law - even tragically, crazily, archaically bad laws. And I appreciate that they are damned if they ndo, damned if they don't - if you raid, people like me scream with fury, if you don't, the bluerinse set from bromley scream even louder. You really are in a no-win situation.
I just fail to see how the local community, wider society, or the Fridge clientele have a net benefit from this. I can guarantee that the next night at the Fridge will see the drugs circulating freely as ever.

Red Jezza said:
but it has always been, for as long as I've been going there, 'in the control of drug dealers' in that they can operate freely there.
And most of the patrons have absolutely no objection to the premises 'descending further' etc (I know - I go to the Fridge often), and would rather see more drugs in there, not less. :confused:
I should explain; I am NOT having a pop at dibble. they have to implement the Law - even tragically, crazily, archaically bad laws. And I appreciate that they are damned if they ndo, damned if they don't - if you raid, people like me scream with fury, if you don't, the bluerinse set from bromley scream even louder. You really are in a no-win situation.
I just fail to see how the local community, wider society, or the Fridge clientele have a net benefit from this. I can guarantee that the next night at the Fridge will see the drugs circulating freely as ever.

I guess the trouble is that there is not nearly enough discretion when it comes to handing down sentances for drug dealers. But we dont know what other little nasties that guy was handing out, what drugs networks have been disrupted and whether it hit the profits of the guys at the top of teh drug food chain who probably make and sell crack etc as well.
We may agree that clubbing drugs - for want of a better description - are a lot less harmful to society than crack being sold on the streets, but it is impossible to deferentiate between dealers to a large extent in the eyes of the law. The only way of doing it would be to create additional classes of drugs, each with their own prison time for deales. So we get class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H etc. Maybe that would work.

Back
Top Bottom