Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I went to Casa Sibilla in the market the other week. Italian. Food superb, and wine from £12/bottle.

I went to Casa Sibilla in the market the other week. Italian. Food superb, and wine from £12/bottle.
Glad you had a good meal there. I had a very different experience myself although I didn't actually get a chance to eat anything. We were given a seat and told someone would be over with a menu and to take a drinks order. After trying to get their attention several times we were given a menu 20mins later and they took a drinks order. After another 20minutes and still no drinks, we left. Would have left much sooner if we had not been sat to a rather attractive couple of ladies who were finding our predicament a great source of amusement. They said their food was tasty but meagre and overpriced. The lasagne main was £13 IIRC and looked like a starter portion.

what a shame to have such a bad experience - not what you want on a night out... we don't get to go to BV very often but we did once go to Casa Sibilia and we had amazing food and very reasonably priced for the quality of what we had and the portions certainly weren't meagre. It was a busy night too.

what a shame to have such a bad experience - not what you want on a night out... we don't get to go to BV very often but we did once go to Casa Sibilia and we had amazing food and very reasonably priced for the quality of what we had and the portions certainly weren't meagre. It was a busy night too.

^^ This.

Sibilia is pretty good but the other places win out for allowing you to bring booze

Glad you had a good meal there. I had a very different experience myself although I didn't actually get a chance to eat anything. We were given a seat and told someone would be over with a menu and to take a drinks order. After trying to get their attention several times we were given a menu 20mins later and they took a drinks order. After another 20minutes and still no drinks, we left. Would have left much sooner if we had not been sat to a rather attractive couple of ladies who were finding our predicament a great source of amusement. They said their food was tasty but meagre and overpriced. The lasagne main was £13 IIRC and looked like a starter portion.

I've always had excellent food in generous portions at Cafe Sibilla, but really really slow and ropey service. Had to wait for the menu, for drinks, for the food, for the bill; we once had to wait for chairs.

Hendo's new favourite is Café Max on Brixton Station Road - after we got a large bacon roll, a steak sandwich, two lattes and a Sagres for less than ten quid on Sunday.

Hendo's new favourite is Café Max on Brixton Station Road - after we got a large bacon roll, a steak sandwich, two lattes and a Sagres for less than ten quid on Sunday.

Cafe Max is the nuts :) Great coffee and food and v friendly.

Cafe Max is the nuts :) Great coffee and food and v friendly.

Yeah, we often go for coffe on a Sunday morning after buying veg and stuff. Haven't had much of the food but hendo was very impressed with his steak sarnie. I like the fact there's always someone with a cheeky beer or glass of red at 11am!

I'm about to post up a mahoosive food guide on BrixtonBuzz, so would appreciate more opinions and feedback on new restaurants and cafes here, please!

I'm about to post up a mahoosive food guide on BrixtonBuzz, so would appreciate more opinions and feedback on new restaurants and cafes here, please!

More importantly don't forget the old ones that were here before the breeze-ins with their venture capitalist backing arrived.

More importantly don't forget the old ones that were here before the breeze-ins with their venture capitalist backing arrived.
Oh, don't worry about that! :)

I'm not writing the guide though - I'm not enough of a foodie - but it is gong to be very comprehensive (although I imagine not everyone will agree with the writer's opinions).

I'll recommend Negril and Vera Cruz; the two places I go to most often at the moment.
They're already both in the guide - Negrill gets four stars but Vera Cruz failed to impress the writer as much, with two stars.

I'm sure there'll be some lively debate when we post it up (hopefully tomorrow).

They're already both in the guide - Negrill gets four stars but Vera Cruz failed to impress the writer as much, with two stars.

I'm sure there'll be some lively debate when we post it up (hopefully tomorrow).

Mmmm, not as good overall as the Phoenix but their chips are just as good. Admittedly just working my way through the menu.

If it can stretch as far as Stockwell Road then O Cantinho de Portugal should be on there... Great food, friendly service, great atmosphere for football and family friendly. Prices have gone up a bit recently (but haven't they everywhere?) but you can still get a steak dinner and a Sagres from the bar menu for cheap eats.

Back
Top Bottom