Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Brewery to partner with Heineken and move to bigger premises

2019-05-16_114216.jpg

Well, this is nice. Before Brixton Brewery arrived, we were selling a beer called Coldharbour Courage that featured an image of the Barrier Block on the label. Appropriate, as that's where I live. All the profits went to the Soup Kitchen and other local charities. We still produce it from time to time to raise money, and it was available this month at the Prince of Wales.

It looks like the idea was so strong that it inspired the Heineken-backed Brixton Brewery to produce their very own Coldharbour Lager, complete with the outline of the Barrier Block on the label. They have no connection to the building, or the street.

#justsaying

I like that label, all their labels actually, and I think that the Barrier Block lines are fair game. Most people won't notice it.

I don't think I would like the beer though. Is there some form of orange flavouring to it?

I like that label, all their labels actually, and I think that the Barrier Block lines are fair game. Most people won't notice it.

I don't think I would like the beer though. Is there some form of orange flavouring to it?
I disagree. I think it's taking the piss and rather insensitive given the fact that original Coldharbour beer was all about charity. It's an opinion that was echoed by many locals on FB, btw.

Had to LOL at this listing though, which makes their Heineken connection very bold :

2019-05-16_183352.jpg

RateBeer

I disagree. I think it's taking the piss and rather insensitive given the fact that original Coldharbour beer was all about charity. It's an opinion that was echoed by many locals on FB, btw.

Had to LOL at this listing though, which makes their Heineken connection very bold :

View attachment 171192

RateBeer
Fair enough. I haven't put in the effort that you have so am not as qualified to comment.

Heineken won't give a stuff though. They're masters of manipulation. These days they're advertising an alcohol free beer everywhere that alcohol advertising isn't allowed. The bottle is nearly identical and their branding is everywhere.

Now fully owed by Heineken

Be interested to see what they do with the bar at Arch 547. If it was a Wetherspoons the arch would have wrestlers all round the walls. Brixton wrestling - news, history and chat

Of course Heineken's game-plan might be to ramp up their supermarket offering.
I was in Morrisons at Camberwell today and noticed they had spruced up the canned craft beer section.
It seems they are now going for those who prefer a stronger brew. Several Brewdog and Northern Monk ales might have you under the table in no time.
Not sure if Morrisons had this in stock - but you get the idea
Northern-Monk_Day-Of-The-Death_Mockup.png

Interesting piece on Heineken:

In 2013, Heineken CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer described Africa as “the international business world’s best kept secret”. Heineken faces so little competition that in some African countries one small bottle of beer is no cheaper – or sometimes even more expensive – than in Europe, while production costs are lower. According to Heineken’s most recent available figures (2014), beer in Africa is almost 50% more profitable than anywhere else. Some markets, such as Nigeria, are among the most lucrative in the world.

More about the brand behind the Brixton Brewery with accusations of tax evasion, sexual abuse human rights violations and high level corruption:

In this thoroughly researched and reported book, van Beemen paints a damning portrait of a corporation with a long history of tax evasion, sexual abuse, human rights violations, and high-level corruption across Africa. He also documents how the beer manufacturer has managed to not only obfuscate its dark record, but somehow portray itself as helping develop the continent through job creation, and charity through its Heineken Africa Foundation.

Back
Top Bottom