Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British Pie Week - 7th to 13th March 2011

i come from a long dynasty of piemakers btw: my grandad (and his forefathers before him) ran a pie shop serving butter pies and other such goodness. :cool:

We're planning on having pie from a different pie shop each day for the rest of the week. I plan to have mine on a barm cake each time. I'll document this in pictures, of course. :cool:

you may be on to something here - get the marketing boys on it:D

I'm having cottage pie tonight :hmm:

I'm making one tomorrow, but in my opinion it doesn't really count as a proper pie, in spite of the name.

I think I will go to Pieminister on Friday for my pie. I haven't had a pie in ages!

Stargazy pie
http://londonfood.typepad.com/stuff/2007/02/some_industriou.html

dsc00015.jpg

Should probably be called ceilingazy pie in this day and ages what with us having roofed houses and stuff. Either way those heads would do mine right in.

Just found a better version of the stargazy pie. The legendary four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie. Only a few are stargazing.

blackbird-pie1.jpg

I'm planning on making a big chicken and mushroom pie on Friday. I have never made a pie before. I may post pictures.

mmmmmmmmm butter pie. I am definitely eating one of them tomorrow.

The best pie shop in the world is in Shevington, which is a part of Wigan. It's called Mr Muffin. I have never had a pie from there but everybody I know who has says it is the best they have had. And these are people who know, being from Wigan and all.

i'm only really familiar with preston pies, but a guy at work was suggesting that very shop this afternoon.

what else is there to do in wigan? i can hardly go there just for a pie...

i should really get a clarke's pie this week, shouldn't i? now i know where the shop is.

i'm only really familiar with preston pies, but a guy at work was suggesting that very shop this afternoon.

what else is there to do in wigan? i can hardly go there just for a pie...

Shevington is just outside of Wigan. I believe it is accessible from the M6, and I have been told it is well worth going to Mr Muffin especially for a pie.

I wouldn't bother going into Wigan for a pie that much though. There is one chain that does fairly decent pies, Greenalghs, for your everyday kind of pie, but I don't really rate any of the others. There is a pound pie shop (everything a pound!), but I have never had anything from there either.

I'm making one tomorrow, but in my opinion it doesn't really count as a proper pie, in spite of the name.

I think I will go to Pieminister on Friday for my pie. I haven't had a pie in ages!
It definitely doesn't, but I just wanted to type pie :D

i come from a long dynasty of piemakers btw: my grandad (and his forefathers before him) ran a pie shop serving butter pies and other such goodness. :cool:
what's a butter pie? :hmm:

potato & onion pie, with loads of butter in it.

invented by lancastrian catholics for eating on fridays, according to wiki.

A butter pie is a traditional savory pie consisting mainly of onions and potatoes.

The butter pie is thought to have been created for workers from Lancashire's Catholic community, to consume on days (mainly Friday) when meat could not be eaten.

To older generations, they are sometimes known as 'Catholic pies' or 'Friday pies. In more recent decades it has become popular with vegetarians and is often served as a vegetarian alternative alongside Lancashire hotpot.

It is also sometimes served on a savoury barm cake.[citation needed] The pie is stocked by fish and chip shops, sandwich shops, local corner shops and some supermarkets within Lancashire.

The butter pie can be found in most areas of the historic boundaries of Lancashire, including Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley, Bury, Chorley, Preston and Wigan (whose residents are some times known by the nickname, pie-eaters).

From 2006, the butter pie was included in the annual World Pie Eating Championship in Wigan, in the vegetarian category

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_pie

Shevington is just outside of Wigan. I believe it is accessible from the M6, and I have been told it is well worth going to Mr Muffin especially for a pie.

I wouldn't bother going into Wigan for a pie that much though. There is one chain that does fairly decent pies, Greenalghs, for your everyday kind of pie, but I don't really rate any of the others. There is a pound pie shop (everything a pound!), but I have never had anything from there either.

yeah, we get greenhalghs here too. better than greggs, but still nowt special imo. town centres are always rubbish for pies anyway - best to comb the suburbs for shops which have queues of little old ladies outside at lunchtime...

yeah, we get greenhalghs here too. better than greggs, but still nowt special imo. town centres are always rubbish for pies anyway - best to comb the suburbs for shops which have queues of little old ladies outside at lunchtime...

Definitely. And from the pie-rumours I hear, Mr Muffin is the place to go.

I had a pie and homemade chips in the pub last night. A tomato, bean and veg type affair. It didn't have any sides which was dissapointing but it was still better than your usual pub grub.

Today I made a spinach and ricotta pie, which we've just eaten half of. The rest will be tomorrows lunch. I could quite easily do a pie a day :)

potato & onion pie, with loads of butter in it.

invented by lancastrian catholics for eating on fridays, according to wiki.

send me one plsthx :)

pieminister better than clarks tbh, but clarksies just round the corner and half the price. i do love a nice beef and stilton pieminister though :drool:

Back
Top Bottom