Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol Bus Boycott

I'm sure I saw something on it there - but then the last time I went to M Shed I was ill and killing time before meeting my g/f for lunch so wasn't really concentrating on what I was looking at.
Was in M Shed again at the weekend (for the Taylor Wessing thing - that's worth a look) and there IS a bit on the boycott - on the 1st floor.

It is good to see that this historical event is still remembered by some people 56 years after it occurred:

How the Bristol bus boycott changed UK civil rights

How the Bristol Bus Boycott is being turned into a musical for the very first time

DnXDZ35U0AQBBCL.jpg

Lest We Forget

I was only very young when this happened, and I never got to ask my father about it. He was about as un-racist as you can get, as well as a strong trade unionist.

It is good to see that this historical event is still remembered by some people 56 years after it occurred:

How the Bristol bus boycott changed UK civil rights

How the Bristol Bus Boycott is being turned into a musical for the very first time

DnXDZ35U0AQBBCL.jpg

Lest We Forget

It is good to see this Bristol hero remembered by the professor of black studies at Birmingham City University:

Roy Hackett: the civil rights hero who stood in front of a bus – and changed Britain for ever

Some of you may be interested in this talk on Thursday night at 5pm.

Thursday 18 February 2021 @ 5 pm

Exeter Branch of the Historical Association

Topic: The Bristol Bus Boycott 1963

Time: Feb 18, 2021 05:00 PM London

Speaker: Dr Robert Guyver, Branch Secretary and Honorary Research Fellow, University of Exeter

Robert Guyver is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 829 6348 6666

Passcode: 666248

Sincerest apologies for this mistake.

I hope it has enabled more locals to come out and give this civil rights hero the send-off he deserves as he crosses to join the ancestors.

I have no doubt the Bristol community will be out in force, especially the Jamaican community. It will stop traffic for sure.

Back
Top Bottom