Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brian Paddick in running to become LibDem Mayoral Candidate

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Looks like the strongest candidate of the three on the face of it, would make for an interesting election if he did get chosen.

A barrister, a councillor and ex-deputy assistant police commissioner are to compete to become the Liberal Democrats' candidate for London mayor.

Brian Paddick, one of London's most controversial former police chiefs, is up against barrister Chamali Fernando and Haringey councillor Fiyaz Mughal.
Lib Dem members in London will vote on the trio next month. The successful candidate will be named in November.
Ed Davey, the party's campaigns' chair, said each would make "a great mayor".
Link

One assumes that Ed Davey, the party's campaigns' chair doesn't live in London

There must be "stronger" candidates out there, Didn't Susan Kramer come second to Ken and Simon Hughes used to be quite enthusiastic about the job I thought?

Slow Hands said:
One assumes that Ed Davey, the party's campaigns' chair doesn't live in London

There must be "stronger" candidates out there, Didn't Susan Kramer come second to Ken and Simon Hughes used to be quite enthusiastic about the job I thought?

I doubt Kramer would do it again, sure I've read somewhere she was basically arm twisted into and hated it. Simon Hughes is President (basically Chair of the party) and has bigger fish to fry, he still wants to be Leader...

Personally I really hope Brian Paddick gets the nomination if only to dampen down how stupid the election will get with Boris versus Ken...

I hope Paddick gets the chance to stand. That way I can vote against Livingslime without having to taint myself by voting for Boris.

Information on the candidates

londonmayor-chamali_100.jpg

Chamali Fernando
is a barrister from Finchley. If elected Mayor Chamali will showcase London as the Capital City of the World, where Outer London Boroughs are not neglected at the expense of a flourishing Zone 1, presenting Liberal Democracy as the tonic for Londoners from all walks of life.
Address: Flat 3, Eden Court, 53-55 Hendon Lane, Finchley, N3 1SD
Phone: 07957 491 177

londonmayor-mughal_100.jpg

Fiyaz Mughal
is the Chief Executive of Enfield Citizens Advice Bureau and is a councillor in Haringey; he was the Deputy President of the Party in 2006-7. If elected Mayor, Fiyaz Mughal will reduce and devolve urban planning powers to local authorities, push for further integration schemes for migrant communities and develop transparent recruiting procedures for Mayoral advisers.
Phone: 07939 609 481
Email: fiyazmughal AT googlemail.com (note: replace ' AT ' with @ when emailing)

londonmayor-paddick_100.jpg

Brian Paddick:
former Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Brian Paddick is now a Visiting Fellow of Ashridge Business School. If elected Mayor, Brian Paddick will introduce a series of radical and innovative policies that will help all Londoners to feel part of, and to be proud of, their capital city.
Email: brianpaddick4london AT hotmail.co.uk (note: replace ' AT ' with @ when emailing)

Note: all the above is taken from official LibDem website.

Does the Mayor of London have any powers in drug reclassification? Paddick could prove an interesting candidate. Still don't think he'd beat Ken though.

Fiyaz Mughal appears to be the only one saying anything. The others have managed to say absolutely nothing at all in three lines of words, short of the kind of empty guff that only a loon would disagree with.

None of them really seem to have grasped exactly what the Mayor of London can and cannot do. Nor do they really provide much evidence that they would be able to carry out the duties of office better than Ken. He's far from perfect I know, but compared to the opposition, he's miles ahead, imo.

Paulie Tandoori said:
None of them really seem to have grasped exactly what the Mayor of London can and cannot do. Nor do they really provide much evidence that they would be able to carry out the duties of office better than Ken. He's far from perfect I know, but compared to the opposition, he's miles ahead, imo.
Ken does not have some sort of "right" to hold the office in perpetuity.

poster342002 said:
Ken does not have some sort of "right" to hold the office in perpetuity.

No he doesn't but he does have a good grasp of how to work in a highly politicised environment and he does have an understanding of his powers as well as making some fairly intelligent moves to expand the limits of the powers of the Mayor.

The rhetoric that I have read from most of the other candidates indicates a pretty basic deficiency in their respective understandings of what they can, and probably as importantly, what they cannot do. So until someone else can actually present a rational case for what they intend to do as Mayor, I think I know where my vote will be going.

You, of course, are free to vote for anyone else that you wish to see in office. Whether you want to vote for someone because either you have a fundamental dislike of Livingstone or because you like the character of a Johnson is another matter entirely.

Paulie Tandoori said:
You, of course, are free to vote for anyone else that you wish to see in office. Whether you want to vote for someone because either you have a fundamental dislike of Livingstone or because you like the character of a Johnson is another matter entirely.
I've got no time for either of them. I'll vote for the IWCA candidate if there is one.

The current likely alternatives are no better than Livingstone, but not a great deal worse either, tbh, and that does not justify uncritically voting him in again and again and again. Better to make a principalled protest vote for one of the lesser-known candidates.

Then there's Livingstone's support for the olympics. This is something I will NEVER forgive him for. He could have campaigned against the sodding things being hosted here, using the argument that the games would negatively impact the poorest of Londoners. He could have been ordinary Londoners' champion by standing firm against this expensive inconvenience. But no - he threw his weight behind this awful imposition.

maldwyn said:
He was on the local telly news last night, is his hair a tad longer these days?
Ken or Brian the Commander?

I like the bit where it says "... If elected Mayor, Brian Paddick will introduce a series of radical and innovative policies.. "
He just not going to tell you what they are.

I'm voting for Paddick because I've met the guy, like him and he is possibly the best alternative to the arrogant Livingslime that it is possible to get. I'm glad that there is the possibility that he is standing as now I won't have to hold my nose and vote for Boris.

I was a supporter of Livingslime when he was facing down the tories in the 80's but his arselicking to corporates, his lack of principle in endorsing new labour and his support for the Olympic disaster has pushed me away from supporting him into being and active opponent.

Just so you know, here is a precis of the Mayor of London's powers. The Mayor's role as the executive of the strategic authority for London is to promote economic development and wealth creation, social development, and the improvement of the environment. The Mayor also has a number of other duties in relation to culture and tourism, including responsibility for Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square.

What can the Mayor do?
The Mayor has a range of specific powers and duties, and a general power to do anything that will promote economic and social development, and environmental improvement, in London.

Setting strategies for London
The Mayor sets out plans and policies for London covering transport, planning and development, economic development and regeneration, culture, and a range of environmental issues including biodiversity, ambient noise, waste disposal and air quality.

Funding services for London
The Mayor sets the annual budget for:
  • the Greater London Authority
  • the Metropolitan Police, who provide policing in the capital, under the oversight of the Metropolitan Police Authority;
  • Transport for London, which is responsible for London's buses and the Underground, manages river services and some light rail services, maintains London's main roads and regulates London's licensed taxi and private hire services;
  • the London Development Agency, which works with business to sustain and improve London's role as a business centre, while increasing economic opportunity for all Londoners;
  • London Fire Brigade, which responds to fires and promotes fire prevention, under the oversight of London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority.
Appointing people for London
While staff in the Greater London Authority are appointed by the London Assembly, the Mayor appoints the boards of Transport for London and the London Development Agency. He also chairs Transport for London, and has led the recruitment of its senior managers. The Police and Fire Authorities are independent bodies, but the Mayor appoints some members of the Police Authority, following nominations by the London Assembly. He also appoints the Fire Authority, following nominations by the London Assembly and London boroughs.

A Cultural Strategy Group, now superseded by the London Cultural Consortium was appointed by the Mayor to develop the Mayor's cultural strategy, which covers everything from sport, to architectural heritage, to performing arts in London. Ken Livingstone also set up an Advisory Cabinet, comprising a wide range of interests and communities, which advises on the Mayor's policies. The boards directly appointed by the Mayor were chosen on merit, but also broadly mirror London in their representation of black and Asian people, women, and people with disabilities.

Other powers and duties
The Mayor's Spatial Development Strategy - the London Plan - sets out the policies for new building and land use in London. Major planning applications have to be referred to the Mayor by London boroughs, and he can direct refusal of those that are not in accordance with the GLA's policies. The Mayor also has control over the management of Trafalgar and Parliament Squares.

Deputy Mayor
The Mayor appoints a member of the London Assembly to be Deputy Mayor.

poster342002 said:
The current likely alternatives are no better than Livingstone... and that does not justify uncritically voting him in again and again and again.
He has said he doesn't want to be mayor beyond the 2012 Olympics. His reason being so that he can enjoy them but I suspect it's also just in case it doesn't all go to plan he won't be picking up the pieces

KeyboardJockey said:
I was a supporter of Livingslime when he was facing down the tories in the 80's but his arselicking to corporates, his lack of principle in endorsing new labour and his support for the Olympic disaster has pushed me away from supporting him into being and active opponent.
That pretty much sums up how I feel, too. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Slow Hands said:
He has said he doesn't want to be mayor beyond the 2012 Olympics. His reason being so that he can enjoy them but I suspect it's also just in case it doesn't all go to plan he won't be picking up the pieces
Most people don't want to remain in the lift after they've farted in it, no. :rolleyes:

To be fair, he may not have done the fart, just encouraged the person with flatulence into the lift

As this is a thread about Brian Paddick can I just point out the obvious power and influence over the Police Service that he would have if he should become mayor.

Slow Hands said:
As this is a thread about Brian Paddick can I just point out the obvious power and influence over the Police Service that he would have if he should become mayor.

That sounds like a double edged blade if you ask me...

Back
Top Bottom