Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaker Woe

Funny thing is...Mr Miggins has never been 100% accurate with his weights and measures and his bread always comes out better than mine. I hate him for that ;) :D

My housemate managed to make some flat loaves by putting the ingredients into the machine in the "wrong" order. :confused:
Subtle things like that can have a surprising effect.

shoddysolutions said:
1. Kneading is good exercise, and therapeutic (imagine your boss's face as you are puching down the dough :) ) - you can get your kid to help you, my daughter enjoys it

2. One loaf tin and one bowl to wash up is easier than pissing about with cleaning a bread maker IMO

3. Hand baking uses less power

4. The consistency of the breadmaker is its downfall IMO. There's no creativity, all you get are variatins on a theme. Breadmakers are a bit of a one-trick pony - with hand baking you can experiment with different shapes of loaf, make rolls instead etc. Can you make rosemary and olive foccacia in a breadmaker?

5. Time? The actual time spent actually mixing dough or kneading when baking by hand is about ten minutes, if that.

I agree with you even if no-one else does . Hand made bread beats breadmaker bread hands down !

Mrs Miggins said:
Funny thing is...Mr Miggins has never been 100% accurate with his weights and measures and his bread always comes out better than mine. I hate him for that ;) :D

It's the other way round in our house, to the extent hubby won't use the breadmaker. He tried it a few times when I've been away, followed the instructions and got bricks. I use roughly the right amounts and it's fine :)

Savage Henry said:
I agree with you even if no-one else does . Hand made bread beats breadmaker bread hands down !

it probably does, but given the realisti option of using a breadmakr or buying bread from the supermarket, I know what i will choose.

It worked!!! It worked!!!!

Gave the pan a good wash and followed the recipe to the letter.

Today, I have a delicious fluffy loaf. Mmmmm!!

Thank you all ;)

Back
Top Bottom