Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Driving lesson victories and woes.

I was utterly obsessed with passing my driving test when I was a teenager, probably because we were poorer than shit and never had a car. I started saving for lessons and the test when I was about 14 and used to lay in bed visualising flying aircraft, driving cars and riding motorbikes - inspired by the Positive Mental Visualisation Technique used to great effect by Schwarzenegger in "Arnold: Education of a Body Builder".

I passed the motorbike test the day after my 17th birthday (I'd been riding a 50 on the road for a year) and then did 10 or 12 (can't remember but it seemed like loads) driving lessons and passed my test a week later. I then didn't drive a car again for about 5 years as I couldn't afford one.

Last edited:
I drove over a roundabout once on a driving lesson, not a little one either, it had curbs and flowers planted on it. In my defence it was a bit foggy and I was a bit nervous. I was always amazed he did slam the breaks on when I did it but he said he was a bit taken aback by it all. He got me to pull over, we walked to a news agents and bought a can of full fat coke, drank it and then he drove me home. :)

I passed second time around. Which was a bit of a pain as I had already accepted a job, where I confidently told them I had been driving a while. :facepalm:

I'm applying for a provisional again soon (original expired 4 years ago) which shows how long I've been meaning to drive. I've taken about 10 lessons in my life, I can do it but I just can't be fagged learning to do it as a regular thing, or buying a car which is why I've put it off (plus, London, I have no space to sleep, where the fuck do I put a car?)

One of the reasons I moved to London was so that I don't have to drive (I do have a licence but I hate driving).

I often find myself relating the driving that so many people take so much for granted and the dangerous machinery so few people have to operate at work these days.

I'm winning at driving lessons right now. I passed my theory test last week (having failed to even open a copy of the highway code :oops: ) and my instructor reckons I'll be good for the test in the next few weeks! AND it's really good fun driving and I'm kicking myself I didn't learn before now. :facepalm:

How did it go then? Pass first time? I'm going to start learning soon. Never driven before. Any tips?

yes, I passed. :) I did my first parallel park since the test the other day, it was embarrassing :D

not sure if I have any tips tbh, other than 'slow off the clutch, check the fucking mirrors'

yes, I passed. :) I did my first parallel park since the test the other day, it was embarrassing :D

not sure if I have any tips tbh, other than 'slow off the clutch, check the fucking mirrors'

That'll do for starters. Well done. How many lessons did you have all in all?

30-odd I guess? I did quite a bit of practice in my mums car though (maybe another 6-10 hours in all) which reallg helped bring things together

Back
Top Bottom