Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boundary fence dispute

I'd be tempted to write a letter to check with the insurers before it gets to the formal solicitors' letter stage. Say the things she's done you approve of (you mentioned above), say that you don't want to fall out about it and that she's welcome to take the fence down but you're not prepared to pay for that. (Again not admitting anything but just trying to keep the peace).

She doesn't actually need access to your place to remove it does she?

Seek compromise and collaboration.
I have only had one minor neighbour dispute in the past over parking my motorcycle, but it was a continual pain in the arse.
From what you see on the television occasionally, ongoing serious neighbour disputes can be dreadful.
I once rang up Land Registry (free) and they told me that in my circumstances the fences either side of my back garden were joint responsibility. They were great actually, and get these enquiries all the time.
I am lucky that in my road everybody tries to get on, even help each other, something I am keen to see continue.

Just updating to say the fence panels are up, the hedge looks the same (from my side), I can’t see if much of the wire fencing has been removed. I’m waiting to see if the other party says any more about expecting me to contribute, and obviously hope they don’t.
Thanks all for sharing lots of ideas. Hostilities aren’t over, there is a long summer ahead. Council meeting next month to discuss some of what’s going on.

Just updating to say the fence panels are up, the hedge looks the same (from my side), I can’t see if much of the wire fencing has been removed. I’m waiting to see if the other party says any more about expecting me to contribute, and obviously hope they don’t.
Thanks all for sharing lots of ideas. Hostilities aren’t over, there is a long summer ahead. Council meeting next month to discuss some of what’s going on.
If they want to put up a fence it's their choice and they should foot the bill, you shouldn't have to contribute at all when there's a perfectly reasonable boundary hedge there to start with.

Back
Top Bottom