Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ugly fence question

Is a compromise with concrete posts but wooden fence, or wooden fence with some sort of concrete support possible? You can grow plants in front of the shortish concrete post.

And if it's wood to ground level, you can make a hedgehog walkway, concrete panels at ground level would prevent that. 🦔

20220405_091314.jpg

3 rails and featherboard is a pretty cost effective wood option. It'll rot out at ground level in 10-15 years though. Then the whole thing will need to be scrapped and done again. Concrete all the way.

received_407730704497485.jpeg

Surely the posts will only rot in such a short time if you don’t bring the concrete above the level of the ground, and instead alllow soil to accumulate around the bottom of the posts.

Plenty of wooden gate posts on my road installed on hard surface paths and driveways that have easily done 25+ years.

Is a compromise with concrete posts but wooden fence, or wooden fence with some sort of concrete support possible? You can grow plants in front of the shortish concrete post.

And if it's wood to ground level, you can make a hedgehog walkway, concrete panels at ground level would prevent that. 🦔
You can get concrete bases with hedgehog holes cut out. Personally I think all new fencing should include this sort of access as a matter of course. 6' x 1' Concrete Base Panel/ Gravel Board with Hedgehog Hole - Stockport Fencing

Neighbour in question has a dog, and the fear of said dog digging a hole under the fence and escaping has lead to this new fence scenario. Which means no opportunities for hedgehog facilitation, as neighbour is paranoid about the slightest gap. :(

Neighbour in question has a dog, and the fear of said dog digging a hole under the fence and escaping has lead to this new fence scenario. Which means no opportunities for hedgehog facilitation, as neighbour is paranoid about the slightest gap. :(

What kind of dog is going to fit through a hedgehog hole? :confused:

a hedgehog sized dog?

:p

If that dog also has prickles, it might actually be a hedgehog :D

Concrete base with hedgehog holes would allow hedgehogs through access and prevent digging just the same as any other fence, surely.

Surely the posts will only rot in such a short time if you don’t bring the concrete above the level of the ground, and instead alllow soil to accumulate around the bottom of the posts.

Plenty of wooden gate posts on my road installed on hard surface paths and driveways that have easily done 25+ years.
I do like the way that you ask for people's advice and opinions and then tell them they're all wrong. Respect.

100% for concrete gravelboard, unless you want to replace the entirety of it every ten years.

We just this weekend just painted our fence and shed black; recommend it for bringing out plant colours.

20220424_212735.jpg

Thing is, I only asked whether it looked crap, but everyone answered some other questions about durability. What can I do? 🤷

This is U75, answering a different question or going off at a tangent is almost obligatory, not sure what you expected to happen! :confused:

This is U75, answering a different question or going off at a tangent is almost obligatory, not sure what you expected to happen! :confused:

Yeah, I am not fussed, just find it strange I'm apparently not allowed to express a view on opinions people give me that I didn't ask for.

should I move and be looking at a new fence

It's not for me to tell you what to do, but I rarely stare at new fences. In the first place, it's boring, and in the second, I don't want to make them feel awkward.

Thing is, I only asked whether it looked crap, but everyone answered some other questions about durability. What can I do? 🤷
How ungrateful. People were suggesting other factors to be taken into account. We can't answer for you whether or not you think it looks crap - only you know that. Would you have changed your mind about its appearance if we'd all said it looks lovely? :p

How ungrateful. People were suggesting other factors to be taken into account. We can't answer for you whether or not you think it looks crap - only you know that. Would you have changed your mind about its appearance if we'd all said it looks lovely? :p

Sigh. How is it ungrateful to disagree with people on factors they suggest that I didn't even ask about?

If I say "do I look good in this dress?" and everyone is like "oh that fabric is really cheap and the seams are going to split", ought I to say "Really? Thank you so much for imparting your wise council, I would never have guessed it was so terrible"?

I can't look at something that is supposed to have a function in purely aesthetic terms without thinking about the practicality, or otherwise, thereof.

No point having something beautiful if it doesn't fulfil the function well.

Wouldn't want something entirely ugly just for the function (in most cases) though.

I don't think the concrete fence base is ugly though. And I don't think the 100% wooden fence is beautiful either.

Sigh. How is it ungrateful to disagree with people on factors they suggest that I didn't even ask about?

If I say "do I look good in this dress?" and everyone is like "oh that fabric is really cheap and the seams are going to split", ought I to say "Really? Thank you so much for imparting your wise council, I would never have guessed it was so terrible"?
Well, we might have asked you if you intended to go dancing or sit down in it. :D

A fence isn't just for looking at. It's for keeping things in or out, or just marking a boundary...

More like they are both just variations of some sort of suburban average in terms of form, but one is clearly superior in terms of function.

Back
Top Bottom