Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan demands a phone and smartwatch-free show

Although Dylan seems put off by a sea of mobile phones, he was less concerned by a sea of lighters for his 1974 live album "Before the Flood"

1727533037121.png

I was at Dylan´s Blackbushe airport gig in 1978, which a quarter of a million attended, and it´s still the biggest crowd I have ever been in.

Why does diabetes need a phone? I often go out without a phone.

I'm not clear how it works but some diabetics can monitor their blood sugar via a phone app. It's the one and only excuse we accept for seeing a phone on school grounds.

And we still get other kids, who know full well that Kid A is diabetic and allowed to use a phone in school, bawling, 'sir sir, Kid A is using a phone'. The little rat bastards.

I'm not clear how it works but some diabetics can monitor their blood sugar via a phone app. It's the one and only excuse we accept for seeing a phone on school grounds.

And we still get other kids, who know full well that Kid A is diabetic and allowed to use a phone in school, bawling, 'sir sir, Kid A is using a phone'. The little rat bastards.
It seems to link to a sensor worn on the body. And having worked with T1 diabetics and knowing kids at least as well as you do I reckon Kid A only needs to check occasionally, will get an alert if something is wrong, is mostly on Snapchat and Kid B has a point.

I've seen Dylan 3 times.. the first at Wembley Arena - back in 1987/88, the second at Finsbury Park 2004 and a final time at Brixton Academy 2005..

Each time was not that great. However at Wembley he played a couple songs off The Times They Are a'Chaging which I'd not heard at the time, and were pretty amazing... The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll and that Ballad song..

I honestly don't see much need for video screens at gigs.. especially for an act like Dylan. Of course if it's an integral part of the show. Otherwise there's no real need. Quite happy at Glastonbury in 2009 standing on the hill watching Neil Young in the distance.
For me, if you're in the distance, it feels like you're watching other people watching a show.

I've seen gig wankers you folks won't believe. Why pay money to chat on your phone all night or drink yourself silly and miss the performance?

Back
Top Bottom