Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bluetooth, wifi, send-to-fm, repurposing old speakers and radios

ska invita

back on the other side
Probably already a suitable thread somewhere but im starting a new one anyway ;p

Ive posted a couple of things this morning on other threads but want to consolidate here.

So my thinking is this - I'd like to get hold of an old floor standing speaker or radio and be able to send music to it from a laptop source
I want to keep as good an audio signal as possible.

Ive got a few ideas, so this could be a bit rambing. Im hoping this might be of interest to others as something to do.

So options im thinking about are

1. repurpose an old floor standing radio
2. get an old vintage speaker cabinet, add a small amp, and then send the signal to an input in the amp.

So to start off, where ive got to on the radio option first

There are some beautiful floor standing radios from the 60s and earlier. Saw a lovely one for £20 on ebay yesterday but that was a bargain
this kind of thing
in terms of look this is ideal
ive no idea what the sound could be like though
3650e6e62200a8f9aa106418526615ff.jpg
rca-19k-50-.jpg
large_vintage-floor-standing-radio_0.jpg

These tend to be pre-FM radios
Im not sure when FM got rolled out - I think in the 60s

Lots of people are repurposing old radios to receive bluetooth
But the two ways they seem to do it are
1. using the original circtuiry/amps etc, and inserting a new input into the circuit <way too complicated for me
2. using cabinets and radios and shell and inserting bluetooth speakers and gubbins in <defeats the purpose for me

Such as

But i just came across the possiblity that you can send a bluetooth signal out as FM using a gizmo, and then tune the radio in to the FM frequency you set
This could be ideal. Just needs a nice free standing radio (60s or 70s probably) and then stream to that.
Has anyone tried this? Whats the audio quality like?
The gizmos are mainly for cars and plug in to the cigarette lighter, but Im going to look into what else there is out there.

Radios aside the next option is
2. get an old vintage speaker cabinet, add a small amp, and then send the signal to an input in the amp.

Plug in something like this

though supposedly that one adds compression. maybe they all do.

Any thoughts and experiences?

Im really curious about the FM thing...

new speakers, amp and bluetooth receiver in an old cabinet FTW

Yeah, I'd do the same, that Logitech thing should be decent. I bought a dirty £10 bluetooth receiver off ebay and it was fine. And Logitech make Ultimate Ears. :thumbs:

Am now browsing floor standing radios and adding them to my "list". :D

I've got a really nice old radio does have a nice rich tone. It doesn't have FM though only MW (labelled Home Home Forces Forces Home).

Not sure I'd want to take the circuits out of a working old radio. I'd also avoid Dynatron - lovely furniture crap sound as I recall.

Yeah, I'd do the same, that Logitech thing should be decent. I bought a dirty £10 bluetooth receiver off ebay and it was fine. And Logitech make Ultimate Ears. :thumbs:

I've got a Nokia bluetooth receiver thats been plugged in and in use constantly for the last 12 years or so without any issues, I bought one of the Logitech ones for the bedroom and it died within a few months, i'm sure they're great when they don't break, but i'm not rushing out to get another :D

I've got a really nice old radio does have a nice rich tone. It doesn't have FM though only MW (labelled Home Home Forces Forces Home).

Not sure I'd want to take the circuits out of a working old radio. I'd also avoid Dynatron - lovely furniture crap sound as I recall.

What if it's already had the guts taken out? :hmm:

I've got a Nokia bluetooth receiver thats been plugged in and in use constantly for the last 12 years or so without any issues, I bought one of the Logitech ones for the bedroom and it died within a few months, i'm sure they're great when they don't break, but i'm not rushing out to get another :D

I've had the opposite experience with my Logitech Harmony One Remote. It lasted 10 years and one small child until it eventually launched off the sofa arm one last time and the screen gave up, i replaced the screen but it was on its last legs so got another one off ebay for £30.

beautiful arent they

the good ting about just buying a broken radio/cabinet is it will be a lot cheaper and if something breaks theres no headache about trying to fix something 70 years old.

I can forsee an issue with putting a new speaker in that first the cabinet, and the cabinet possibly rattling, muffling etc, but that seems surmountable.

food for thought

re the logitech bluetooth adapter there are better ones out there supposedly in terms of sound but im not going to dig through reviews just now, but will post back if i find anything

will still investigate the FM thing as I like the idea of that

I though bluetooth was not meant to be very good for sound?

If you do decide to build from new, I bought one of these last year it is is actually great. Didn't take too long to arrive either. This, + a set of passive 2.1 home speakers (i.e. a pair of stereo + a subwoofer) I got off ebay for £15, has made a really pumping computer sound system, it does bassline-type music really really well. I just connect with wires.

beautiful arent they

the good ting about just buying a broken radio/cabinet is it will be a lot cheaper and if something breaks theres no headache about trying to fix something 70 years old.

I can forsee an issue with putting a new speaker in that first the cabinet, and the cabinet possibly rattling, muffling etc, but that seems surmountable.

food for thought

re the logitech bluetooth adapter there are better ones out there supposedly in terms of sound but im not going to dig through reviews just now, but will post back if i find anything

will still investigate the FM thing as I like the idea of that

They are lovely things. Love a bit of old school wood furniture. Salvaged this from a skip about 15 years ago. Carried it home on my shoulder. :D

1613226442361.png

Bit of rubber/acoustic mat for the speaker and a glue gun should help with any rattles. As long as you can get to all the insides.

300w rig into a double stack on your closest highest block, link to it by microwave or webstream :thumbs:

If there's one thing lockdown has strangely evoked memories of/desire to do, its this :thumbs: Be a bit pointless in my town up here though and not a tall block around!

Bluetooth has the capacity to carry HD audio nowadays but you're wasting your time with that if you're going to then rebroadcast it over analogue and then output it on an ancient radio.

Last time was summer 2016 when I got back down for a fortnight (remember those heady days of last minute arranging a long weekend, jumping on a train, and hanging out with people??! Sigh :() I caught up with an old friend and he and his mates got their gear out over a weekend for another blast - nothing serious but it was good fun anyway.

Other pics have them in so won't post, but here's something anyways :cool:

dipole.jpg

Bluetooth has the capacity to carry HD audio nowadays but you're wasting your time with that if you're going to then rebroadcast it over analogue and then output it on an ancient radio.
can you recommend an HD bluetooth broadcaster - cheapest?
when you say broadcasting over analogue you mean the FM thing? I doubt I will do that, as you say I expect the sound will go a bit crap, though I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

one issue with repurposing cabinets is all the new gear inside needs turning on and off which will likely mean going around the back, possibly behind a panel.
i dont have any electronic or carpentry skills so it would be a crude job
one of the nice things about the FM thing is you can just turn on what's there

It could just be a lot easier to find a nice 60s speaker that isnt terrible
maybe this (*currently £20 who knows where it will end)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

stick a pretty valve amp sat on top with bluetooth capabiltiy and be done

if that pitcutre doesnt get the heart racing I dont know what will :D

when you say broadcasting over analogue you mean the FM thing? I doubt I will do that, as you say I expect the sound will go a bit crap, though I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

one issue with repurposing cabinets is all the new gear inside needs turning on and off which will likely mean going around the back, possibly behind a panel.
i dont have any electronic or carpentry skills so it would be a crude job
one of the nice things about the FM thing is you can just turn on what's there

It could just be a lot easier to find a nice 60s speaker that isnt terrible
maybe this (*currently £20 who knows where it will end)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

stick a pretty valve amp sat on top with bluetooth capabiltiy and be done

if that pitcutre doesnt get the heart racing I dont know what will :D
Look at a car stereo setup. You get an amp and the Bluetooth receiver plus a remote control. Add to that cabinet and speakers and it would be really nice. A bit of fiddling with the wiring. Do it!

[/URL]
No product recommendations I'm afraid, I was thinking about it more on a technical basis. And if you bin off the need to rebroadcast it over FM then what are you sending it from in the first place, i.e. what's the source? You might not need anything.

As for turning it on and off, might I suggest a smart plug like a TP Kasa and either a phone app/widget, or Google Home/Alexa integration. That's what we use for our TV/amp set up and it works well.

Look at a car stereo setup. You get an amp and the Bluetooth receiver. Add to that cabinet and speakers and it would be really nice. A bit of fiddling with the wiring. Do it!
You need to supply 12V to this in a fairly raw way, it becomes a bit of a pain. We had some at work with separate PSUs. You should be able to buy a fairly cheap hifi receiver that does Bluetooth and makes a nice job of it.

You need to supply 12V to this in a fairly raw way, it becomes a bit of a pain. We had some at work with separate PSUs. You should be able to buy a fairly cheap hifi receiver that does Bluetooth and makes a nice job of it.
Transformer in the base maybe? Kettle plug connection for 240V. Screw the amp down next to it with the Bluetooth receiver. Maybe a simple crossover. It all would fit neatly as the car stuff is half the size of a normal car stereo as no controls are needed.

Back
Top Bottom