Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

Well I'm shit with computers but I don know that i'm downloading "have I got news for you" from the 22nd of October :D :D :D :D

The click and play thing didn't work but hopefully I can watch this later.

I know I down loaded some bit torrent stuff th eother day and i take it that I just open the file once it has downloaded and it will play?

Will it play in quick time or somthing like that.

(sorry)

Help

Dandred said:
Well I'm shit with computers but I don know that i'm downloading "have I got news for you" from the 22nd of October :D :D :D :D

The click and play thing didn't work but hopefully I can watch this later.

I know I down loaded some bit torrent stuff the other day and i take it that I just open the file once it has downloaded and it will play?

Will it play in quick time or somthing like that.

(sorry)

Sorry to quote myself again but I'm at 85% down loaded what else do I need to know????????????????????????????????

My hopes are high, dash them before it's 100%

Somewhere on your client it should tell you what the file format is. It may require some codecs to play it, but a player like VLC will often sort out issues like that.

Iam said:
Somewhere on your client it should tell you what the file format is. It may require some codecs to play it, but a player like VLC will often sort out issues like that.

Head over? 93%

P.S. the computer i'm using is in korean so i'm a bit lost anyway

Hahahahahahahahah I'm soooooooooooo happy :D :D :D

It all worked out cool I'm just about to start watching it in w media player :D :D

I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the best speeds you'll need to open up/forward some ports to your workstation- namely ports in the 6881-6991 range or thereabouts

How do I do this? I'm using a Dlink G604T router.

This thread is so cool - im now happily downloading all sorts of stuff off bittorrent.

A huge thanks to everyone whose contributed :)

A new improved version of azureus
is out and comes highly recommended, although you will heve to get the latest Java RTE for it to be stable.

kenny g said:
A new improved version of azureus
is out and comes highly recommended, although you will heve to get the latest Java RTE for it to be stable.

I'm not convinced... I installed the new version yesterday, and it's using HUGE amounts of system resources...

Interesting.

I upgraded it yesterday and it's seeding a load of stuff and using virtually no resources except for the bandwidth requirement.

Course, that's on a Linux box. Doesn't Windows (esp. XP) have ongoing issues with some areas of the JRE anyway?

There's been several versions in the past that have had issues with Windoze boxes and system resources. Will have a tweak and let you know how I get on...

dogmatique said:
There's been several versions in the past that have had issues with Windoze boxes and system resources. Will have a tweak and let you know how I get on...

Still waiting...

I'm just experimenting with YABC. Zone Alarm asks if I want to allow YABC to act as server. Is this safe? Do I need something like peer guardian to protect me? :confused:

I've been trying to d/l Debian Linux by bit torrent. I keep getting 'rejected by tracker' errors and YABC just sits there doing nowt - and this is even after allowing YABC to 'act as server'.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Act as a server means that it is allowed to send information back to the internet (ie, upload), so you should be allowing it.

Can't really help with the tracker. If it's the same one each time, you probably either need to be registered with the site, or it's a problem with that specific tracker (in which case, there's nothing much you can do anyway).

It's possible the tracker is down, overloaded, or requires logins. There's no real need to get debian off BT. Plenty of places host it on ftp or http.

BT has no inbuilt privacy measures at all. If you're connected, anyone you're downloading or uploading to knows your IP. If you're paranoid, on a .edu connection, or on a really phat pipe, peer guardian's probably a good plan.

Of course if you're just downloading linux there's no need to worry :p

tom k&e said:
Of course if you're just downloading linux there's no need to worry :p

Tell that to the German university who were sent a cease and desist order for hosting OpenOffice on the uni network, downloadable to all...

The latter of those looks a bit dodgy to me... It requires a signup for a start, which Suprnova doesn't, and it also says that you require Windows to use the system, which is not true, either, BT is an open protocol that runs on just about anything. This all makes me a bit suspicious.

Also, the proper one has no "e" in it...

Iam said:
The latter of those looks a bit dodgy to me...

You're right, the onyl genuine one is suprnova.org. All the rest are being held by cybersquatters who ship their own spyware-ridden windows client... which you have to pay for :)

Back
Top Bottom