Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best way to book train tickets

You mus be talking about yourself....

If you don't want to be told the best way to book train tickets, don't come stomping into a thread called "BEST WAY TO BOOK TRAIN TICKETS"! :facepalm:
what if even after all your advice and suggestions, we still prefer to use trainline?

No you don't. This is just a wind up.
No, I still prefer to use trainline - I don't get trains a lot tbf - I usually drive down to Bath to see the folks, and drive if I'm going somewhere for the weekend, or on a UK holiday

I do, prefer to use the trainline that is.

this is because I am lazy and given the tickets cost £280+ on average I am not bolloxed about a 1.50 booking fee
What does being lazy have to do with it? Either you're a bit dumb, have more money than sense, or you're deliberately yanking my chain. Either that or someone else is footing the bill and you don't give a fuck how much money you waste.

I do, prefer to use the trainline that is.

this is because I am lazy and given the tickets cost £280+ on average I am not bolloxed about a 1.50 booking fee
Why? As I've said a thousand times you can get exactly the same service elsewhere for FREE. A lot of sites even use the same booking engine, so there is ABOSOLUTELY no reason to use thetraiine.

being lazy has this to do with it. my journey is stored as are my card details, all I have to do is put in the cvc number and I am done. and tbh when I am being ripped off for 280 for a trip another quid really isn't here or there

If we are booking a train abroad, especially that involves changes we do it on the phone through Railbookers because the service we get is above and beyond and we get a named contact. The time we did it ourselves was a bit of a disaster. Ended up having to spend a lot of money on a cab because of a buggered-up connection.

If we are booking a train abroad, especially that involves changes we do it on the phone through Railbookers because the service we get is above and beyond and we get a named contact. The time we did it ourselves was a bit of a disaster. Ended up having to spend a lot of money on a cab because of a buggered-up connection.
plus you could presumably get travel insurance for the whole trip then

when i went to greece a few years ago with my daughter it was three trains and a ferry
i booked each bit separately which meant good deals but my travel insurance (free with bank a/c) would only cover the eurostar journey

...plus it's nice, over the last few decades, to progress, travel-wise, from hitch-hiking, to coaches, to comfortable European rail travel.
I'll draw a veil across the hell that is the aeroplane.

I've never seen someone so upset over the fact that some people spend a quid on a booking fee. :D
I've never seen so many brain-washed people literally throw money at a company (on an anti-capitalist orientated website no less) when there is no need to.

I am in London again week after next and am going to use the trainline just to piss bungle off.

this is proper urbanz

doing something that costs you money just to piss off someone on the internetz

:mad: just booked May Bank holiday weekend return from Edinburgh to Chirk, only it was cheaper to buy singles, and then it was even cheaper to buy singles to Manchester and a five day return to Chirk from there. Significantly cheaper. How can you run a train service with such a fucked up pricing system :mad:

:mad: just booked May Bank holiday weekend return from Edinburgh to Chirk, only it was cheaper to buy singles, and then it was even cheaper to buy singles to Manchester and a five day return to Chirk from there. Significantly cheaper. How can you run a train service with such a fucked up pricing system :mad:
Advance (the cheapest) tickets always come as Singles.

Why the hell are you guys constantly buying into the bullshit that they peddle??

That is not 43% off, that is just the "saving" they claim you can make through booking Advance tickets with them......the same Advance tickets that you can get EVERYWHERE ELSE. You save NOTHING by booking with them. It COSTS because they add charges on top.

What? Do you think they have their own special supply of cheap tickets? THEY DO NOT.

The Southeastern offer is a legitimate special offer.

I managed a decent 'ticket split' last night - I'm doing Leeds-Bristol in a couple of weeks, cheapest available single ticket £49, by breaking into four (Leeds-Derby-Birm-Chelt-Bris) I got it down to £28 - travelling on exactly the same trains (booked through crosscountry - no £1 booking fee ;) ). Took a little while longer to book it, but worth the saving.

There is a 'tickety split' phone app that tells you how to split a journey - it's set up for standard single tickets and works out comparative costs on that basis, but this gives a good clue as to where you can break an advance journey. I didn't use it last night as I know enough about railway geography to work it out myself, though I think it was using it in the past that highlighted Derby as a good break point.

Back
Top Bottom