Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best way to book train tickets

The anytime is £25 with Network Railcard.

Or you can get a super offpeak single for £22.30. But the SE site doesn't find this, for reasons explained above.

The Trainline app now includes split ticketing so you can save money and faff (albeit at the cost of a £1 booking fee). I saved a fair chunk for my trip to Cardiff.

The Trainline app now includes split ticketing so you can save money and faff (albeit at the cost of a £1 booking fee). I saved a fair chunk for my trip to Cardiff.
I've found Trainline to be a bit shit and expensive in the past. I wonder how their ticket splitting compares to trainsplit (the app I usually use)?

Virgin (feel like a shill for them now) do split ticketing, no booking fee and you build up points so you get a quid off every now and then.

That advance price is pretty good ska, you rarely see those kinds of discounts round here. Usually the advance tickets are about a third cheaper.

Downside is that it can't cope with buying tickets for two people, one of which has a railcard.
Oh yeah, they can't do that yet.
They are working on it I believe.
I think it all gets horrendously complicated to compute because they look at more options than other split ticket sellers - I think trainline will generally only offer you journeys with one or two splits (is that right?) whereas trainsplit will offer more than that.

I've found Trainline to be a bit shit and expensive in the past. I wonder how their ticket splitting compares to trainsplit (the app I usually use)?
They're now offering to refund the difference of you fid cheaper fares (and if you can be arsed, of course).

Oh yeah, they can't do that yet.
They are working on it I believe.
I think it all gets horrendously complicated to compute because they look at more options than other split ticket sellers - I think trainline will generally only offer you journeys with one or two splits (is that right?) whereas trainsplit will offer more than that.
Not sure - I rarely care about the split saving as it never seems to add up to much - my main concern is ease of use.

Can someone explain this to me please:

because the whole system is bloody crackers.

does that help?

also if I click add Network Railcard on those journey the price doesn't change - I thought it was meant to save you 1/3rd??

some 'special offer' / advance fares aren't subject to railcard discounts.

Not risky at all. If I'm delayed by other transport I just get on the next service

not sure they will accept that if it's a bus / something else, rather than another train. and even if it is another train, it can be difficult if it's another train operator's service.

another thought, with this being about comparing a normal ticket from crowborough with an advance from hastings - with most advance tickets, you're technically not allowed to make a shorter journey within that advance ticket, so using an advance from hastings to charing cross is probably technically not allowed for (for example) a journey from crowborough to london bridge, even though the train goes through and stops at both, and it's a shorter journey.

i don't know how likely you would be to get checked either at the station at crowborough or on the train, but if you are checked, you risk being told that ticket's not valid, you need to buy a single for the journey you're actually making, and possibly even at the risk of penalty fares and all that sort of bollocks. ultimately your choice.

not sure they will accept that if it's a bus / something else, rather than another train. and even if it is another train, it can be difficult if it's another train operator's service.
I just go and tell the train conductor as soon as I see them and stay on the train. They always seem to be polite and happy that I've notified then. If they ever have a problem with it, they can send me something in writing.

I just go and tell the train conductor as soon as I see them and stay on the train. They always seem to be polite and happy that I've notified then. If they ever have a problem with it, they can send me something in writing.
If you don't get on the correct train because of a previously delayed train you're fine, but a no-show bus, or traffic jam, or other reason doesn't really count. You may have been lucky with nice conductors but strictly speaking you can be made to buy a new ticket, which has happened to me before and I've watched it happen to others.

If they ever have a problem with it, they can send me something in writing.

Unfortunately, if they feel like it, in many cases they can also unleash a whole process of threatened prosecution against you for travelling without a valid ticket. I don't think it's right that they can, just saying, be careful.

Back
Top Bottom