Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best way to book train tickets

Since the re-privatisation of East Coast it's definitely harder to get hold of the cheapest advance singles, I used to have no problem getting the £13 Leeds-London tickets if I did it quite a few weeks in advance. Even the next price up (£22) are scarce for Sunday nights. The thieving cunts haven't put prices up (so no-one can accuse them of this), they've just made less of the cheap tickets available, which amounts to the same thing. Fuck the tory scum that did this. Fuck them with something big, hot and spiky.

I'm not travelling by train as much as I used to so haven't noticed this, but the rewards scheme has been replaced with Nectar, which isn't nearly as good. Since Hull-London is still the main long-distance journey I do, I've closed my East Coast account and am booking through Hull Trains instead.

Chiltern Railways have an offer on £15 return anywhere between and including London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor St/Snow Hill.
Its super-off peak so some restrictions and you have to pick a time for your outward journey but can return within a month.
Its an on line offer only too heres the full details
Chiltern Railways | Chiltern Railways

Ive not used these for a while, went to Virgins New St to Euston service after the mud slide that prevented Chiltern running a service for a very long time. Im gonna give this a go though later this week as i need to be back in London for a few days.

There used to be a £15 walk-up fare from London Marylebone to Brum ten years ago, albeit with quite a few restrictions. £15's more than reasonable in this day and age though, and Chiltern's a good service.

I think you can also get between London and Bournemouth for £15 on a day return. More useful for Dorset folk to get up to London at the moment, but I think it goes on until the end of April, when the weather will be better.

Book using First Hull Trains' website through IMutual, who are currently offering 3.1% cashback. It's the best deal I've found atm.

I booked tickets on trainline and went to reclaim them using my card in the machine at the station this morning.

It wouldn't let me do it without the booking reference.

So I took my debit card to the booking office and - nope -she wouldn't give me the tickets without a booking reference :rolleyes:

Fucking lucky the tickets weren't for today, that's all I can say, having spent £180 on them :eek::mad:

Be careful out there, people.

I booked tickets on trainline and went to reclaim them using my card in the machine at the station this morning.

It wouldn't let me do it without the booking reference.

So I took my debit card to the booking office and - nope -she wouldn't give me the tickets without a booking reference :rolleyes:

Fucking lucky the tickets weren't for today, that's all I can say, having spent £180 on them :eek::mad:

Be careful out there, people.
1) Well of course you need the booking reference..... Why hell didn't you have it??

2) WTF did you book with thetrainline for??

What.......

I'm sick and tired of people continuously starting shit with me for no reason.....and then blaming it on me. I'm fucking sick of it. Consider yourself blocked.
I wasn't wrong. Though I might be an arsehole. Confusing :confused:

All I did was question why they didn't have the booking reference with them. A reference number that it is pretty obvious that you need.

Hold on a minute...

No, Bungle73. Not obvious. Because every other fucking time I've used that system it's not been needed.

Last time I try and offer any fucking advice.

Hold on a minute...

No, Bungle73. Not obvious. Because every other fucking time I've used that system it's not been needed.

You do obviously need a reference to pick up a ticket from the machines though.

Hold on a minute...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, because it is ALWAYS needed. That is how the TOD system works.

Well possibly for the machine, but normally I go and chat to the woman in the ticket office and it's fine!
Ah, the human touch. Fuck alone knows how that works as I could buy you a ticket with my credit card and you could use your debit card to pick it up but whichever.

Well possibly for the machine, but normally I go and chat to the woman in the ticket office and it's fine!
Possibly. I've only ever collected a TOD ticket from a ticket office once, years ago, and only because the TVM wasn't co-operating. I don't recall if they wanted the ref number. But normal procedure for collecting a TOD ticket is to use a TVM, and for that you need the reference number.

Ah, the human touch. Fuck alone knows how that works as I could buy you a ticket with my credit card and you could use your debit card to pick it up but whichever.
No, you have to hand her the same card. Then chat about where you're going and what you expect the weather and food to be like. And which family members you're visiting. Any upcoming medical procedures and so on.

Or at least you did - she's not having it now!

Anyway, I thought I was passing on new info but clearly not! Things move a little slower here...

I'm sure I've done this too. In fact I can't see why they can't just make that a standard thing. Then I wouldn't have to retrieve a booking number on my phone every time I do this.

I remember this changing, it was something to do with security. Like someone who had stolen a credit card would go around sticking it in train ticket machines on the off-chance a ticket had been booked to somewhere they wanted to go. :confused:

I'm sure I've done this too. In fact I can't see why they can't just make that a standard thing. Then I wouldn't have to retrieve a booking number on my phone every time I do this.
But then people couldnt buy tickets for you. I've sold literally hundreds of train tickets to other people with other cards.

But then people couldnt buy tickets for you. I've sold literally hundreds of train tickets to other people with other cards.

But that would be where you have the option of using a booking reference. As I understand it, you need both right now, which to me seems like unnecessary hassle either way.

My version of the world would be so much better for everyone.

But that would be where you have the option of using a booking reference. As I understand it, you need both right now, which to me seems like unnecessary hassle either way.

My version of the world would be so much better for everyone.
Either/or would probably be a better solution.

Learn something new every day. You can get your account to allow tickets to be collected by any card. This is how the bbc can prebook tickets for interviewees to collect to get them up to manchester etc.

Back
Top Bottom