Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best UK Music Magazine?

exosculate said:
They are all a bunch of advertising rags, I find the internet and the knowledge of others the best way to follow the musical happenings.

alas that's true...in the states they used to call them Vodkazines cos at the time Absolut were running huge camapigns and would always have a back cover in Spin (now if you think NME is crap......)

acid priest said:
Q really got its shit together in the '90s and was great from about 1992 to 2000, but has since slipped some way down the other side of the hill.

Agree with this, I used to like Q a lot, specially when NME types sneered at it :p :D

It's not much cop now though, by comparison.

These days, I tend to just read the Observer Music Magazine (flawed but covering quite a good range of music) , which tells you how out of touch I'm getting perhaps ... :oops:

There's always Urban 75 though :cool:

I'd never have got into Unsound type happenings, and all the festivals I go to, had it not been for the NET!

my brother swears by "Artrocker".

I know it's US , but I love "Fader" magazine. Ditto for "Wax Poetics"

I buy "Mojo" , but it's like dance music doesn't exist to those guys. (I'm sure they'll write about it in 10 years though...)

I only read the Wire regularly, but also sometimes get Uncut and Mojo. I wish Jockey Slut was still going - the mag itself was good and the cd's were ace.

I still buy mags like Mojo and Uncut fairly regularly as they're pretty good bath/bog reading fare.

the wire's the only one that feels like it's worth the cover price, although I read a mate's digi subscription version now so rarely get the paper edition

I miss the weekly inky of my youth but would probably cringe through most of it nowawadays

They're ok. But nothing to get excited about. I want something I can really look forward to coming out every month!
That's how I feel too but there's really not much out there. Despite its spoddiness, Record Collector has some good interviews from time to time. I even bought a copy of Prog Mag a while back and it was reasonably entertaining.

Haven't bought a music mag for years - but I get most music press sent to work.

I properly read through Wire, Straight No Chaser (a recent comeback), Echoes, Songlines, Jazzwise

I flick through Mojo, Uncut, Maverick, RnR.

I usually bin RecordCollector after looking at the contents page, but occasionally there's an article that piques my interest and when there is, it's good

I'm getting addicted to this WORD IN YOUR EAR YouTube channel...the two hosts seem to have written on loads of UK music mags over the years, pretty sure I've heard mention on Melody Maker, Smash Hits, Uncut plus god knows what other ones. Its rare for any episode to go by without one mention of the beatles or a beatle, much like those mags, so you know what you're in for, but they genuinely have some interesting perspectives, and heartfelt passion. And there's hundreds of hours of the stuff, and I think they only started in 2020. Includes interviews with musicians, authors, talk about music journalism, the odd comedian, but some of the best are just the two of them chewing the fat.

This is todays chinwag episode and its an enjoyable one

but to keep it in the sprit of the thread here's one about music journalism

....from that i particularly like the line that music press - devoured cover to cover by teenagers - did a lot for youth literacy!

i started off thinking it was annoying, but its comforting now.
On youtube and also as a pure audio podcast, Acast and elsewhere probably

It's much like reading one of those classic "rock" mags tbh, maybe better

I'm getting addicted to this WORD IN YOUR EAR YouTube channel...the two hosts seem to have written on loads of UK music mags over the years, pretty sure I've heard mention on Melody Maker, Smash Hits, Uncut plus god knows what other ones. Its rare for any episode to go by without one mention of the beatles or a beatle, much like those mags, so you know what you're in for, but they genuinely have some interesting perspectives, and heartfelt passion. And there's hundreds of hours of the stuff, and I think they only started in 2020. Includes interviews with musicians, authors, talk about music journalism, the odd comedian, but some of the best are just the two of them chewing the fat.

This is todays chinwag episode and its an enjoyable one

but to keep it in the sprit of the thread here's one about music journalism

....from that i particularly like the line that music press - devoured cover to cover by teenagers - did a lot for youth literacy!

i started off thinking it was annoying, but its comforting now.
On youtube and also as a pure audio podcast, Acast and elsewhere probably

It's much like reading one of those classic "rock" mags tbh, maybe better

I'm a fan. I'm regular listener but I have to space them out as too much Hepworth can be a bit smug and overbearing.

I bought my first music mag in years the other day - “Electronic Sound” - because it came with a White Noise remix 45 on white vinyl

Back
Top Bottom