Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best UK Music Magazine?

dt101

Bite me. Twice.
So what's the best all round music mag? NME? Q? Rock sound?

Which ones do you regularly buy and why?

I quite like NME at the moment...

how old are you?

the nme makes me want to burn all my records and give it up.

comes with a smile is great, but it's folding. plan b ain't bad, but i haven't read it in ages so i don't know if it's still going.

q is dull. i mean, it's ok if you think that oasis are talented and relevent but for music fans it's not up to much.

i haven't read a copy of rock sound in ages. along with kerrang, both were fine when the genres weren't selling because they could concentrate on quality (for the most part) but in an age where rock and metal sells they seem to be pandering to the mainstream a little more than maybe they should. the quality of journalism had certainly dropped in both mags by the tiem i stopped reading.

i've always enjoyed knowledge, niche market, knows what it's on about, slightly geeky for the most part.

don't tend to read much of the dance music press, unless there's something interesting on the front cover and i rarely find much inside to entertain me.

yep! :D

the problem with the nme is that where once upon a time it was a music geek's bible, it is now a brief spotter's guide to the hyped acts of the time. there doesn't seem to be anything in it other than pictures and press releases maskerading as copy.

I'm younger than you and I fucking hate the NME, anyone who puts Oasis at No.3 in their 100 greatest British records of all time should probably be writing for angling monthly.

I read the Wire at the college library but I wouldn't buy it. All the rest is on the internet.

Ahh the famous 100 greatest british albums of all time article. I thought that might cause some controversy heh What did people think about that? I was happy to see The Stone Roses up there. Whether or not they deserved the no1 spot I dont know...

Negativland: You're younger than me and you hate NME? Well done sunshine. Have a sticker. ;)

:D

i want one of those...

for my money, mojo is the best all-round music mag at the moment - there's generally loads of good stuff in it, and the cover disk tends to be pretty good too. it's a touch worthy and rather too serious, but you can't have everything...

If you like have an eclectic music taste and like a mature read, I'd say it has to be Observer Music Monthly.

bluestreak said:
yep! :D

the problem with the nme is that where once upon a time it was a music geek's bible, it is now a brief spotter's guide to the hyped acts of the time. there doesn't seem to be anything in it other than pictures and press releases maskerading as copy.

The NME is the Daily Star with music.

paolo999 said:
If you like have an eclectic music taste and like a mature read, I'd say it has to be Observer Music Monthly.
the OMM is utter shit. i find it hard to read it without sneering...

Negativland said:
I'm younger than you and I fucking hate the NME, anyone who puts Oasis at No.3 in their 100 greatest British records of all time should probably be writing for angling monthly.

I read the Wire at the college library but I wouldn't buy it. All the rest is on the internet.

Exactly, the NME is the same as Smash Hits circa 1983. It's a big steaming pile of poodle faeces.

killer b said:
the OMM is utter shit. i find it hard to read it without sneering...

C'mon... expand a bit! Compare with Mojo for example (not that the two are really comparable, but just for argument's sake).

none of the articles have any insight or depth, and it has an inflated opinion of it's own importance. much like anything connected to the guardian media group, in fact. it's like the nme for grown-ups...

I buy them almost all of them, for my sins (not the NME - after twenty-odd years of buying it weekly i gave up about 3 years ago) but i get The Wire, Mojo, Uncut, International DJ, Riddim, and some of the smaller ones - Plan B and the like.

The Wire is the best for me. it's like a John Peel programme - you won't like it all, you wonder about half of it but it covers more ground than all the others put together

564de56t4e

Another vote for the Wire, though I rarely buy it.

And then of course, there is BBC Music magazine.

What do you lot think of Hot Press? It used to be to the Irish scene what the NME was to UK, though the roots in the underground magazines of the 60s were still very apparent in the 1980s.

Today, HP seems to have a pretty incestuous relationship to the Irish music industry, but I buy it occasionally when I'm at home, just on the off chance there might be some of the old magic there. Eamonn McCann's politics column is always good.

I'd say Word is the rod now, although I've got my eye on it from having been burned too many times!

Uncut and Mojo are pretty good but have become rather complacent in places over the last few years. Why we ever again need to see a Beatle, Stone, Crosby, Young or Dylan on the cover is beyond me.

Q really got its shit together in the '90s and was great from about 1992 to 2000, but has since slipped some way down the other side of the hill.

NME was brilliant in the '80s and good up until about '97, but is now a sad, dumbed-down shadow of its former self.

in defence of NME (kind of)

if you go to those gigs and listen to that music it's doing a clever job. Ok the word count has gone down dramatically but there are writers there like Pat Long and James Jam who you can tell have pretty good record collections

it is pretty much tied into the next big band sheepdip so if you want to tune into what the likes of Spinto Band, Larrikin Love and the like are doing well before they reach the Astoria or Brixton Academy it is doing a good job as it does have its finger on the pulse

if that's not your thing leave it alone - of course for every Spinto Band there is an Others but then again not everything in Wire is essential listening is it? and Uncut and the like have championed some shit i despise while generally doing a good job

back to the orginal question anyway...i don't think there's an all-round music mag left these days; it's a case of picking a bunch and reading between the lines

at the moment in my bag is NME, The Fly, Stool Pigeon, Loose Lips Sink Ships, Artrocker and Uncut and even between the five of those I don;t feel they cover everything that's going on

I unlike Uncut and The Word, although that's more to do with the quality of the writing than the actual music they cover. Bit fed up of Bob Dylan and other farts being on the cover all the time.

twisted said:
...back to the orginal question anyway...i don't think there's an all-round music mag left these days; it's a case of picking a bunch and reading between the lines

at the moment in my bag is NME, The Fly, Stool Pigeon, Loose Lips Sink Ships, Artrocker and Uncut and even between the five of those I don;t feel they cover everything that's going on
That's what I was afraid of to be honest...there just isn't a mag that covers everyhting there is to know....or by the sounds of it, even covers half of the stuff.

Some of the more obscure ones might be worth a try and I'll certainly give them a go. I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get hold of though. It could be a mail order job unless I can find somewhere decent that stocks them...or is prepared to stock them

Idris2002 said:
Today, HP seems to have a pretty incestuous relationship to the Irish music industry, but I buy it occasionally when I'm at home, just on the off chance there might be some of the old magic there. Eamonn McCann's politics column is always good.

Yeah Hot Press has really gone down the shitter, full of fawning pieces about The Frames, Damien Rice and the rest of the overly sincere Irish indie types who really only matter to each other, and Niall Stokes editorials are muck. That said though I buy it the odd time just to confirm my opinion.

They are all a bunch of advertising rags, I find the internet and the knowledge of others the best way to follow the musical happenings.

exosculate said:
They are all a bunch of advertising rags, I find the internet and the knowledge of others the best way to follow the musical happenings.
In this day and age I doubt there's anything a magazine can offer that the internet can't. apart from a free cd maybe!

only today i hear that the long running smash hits(!) mag is to be shut down. now, i dont read smash hits but im just trying to make a point! the mags must be having a hard time trying to compete with other more up to the minute information sources.

The Wire, though I can easily not read most of it.

I'd also put a vote in for Sound Projector, which is published less frequently, but covers some similar ground to the wire, but in a less sterile fashion.

I plump for 'Record Collector'.
I'd rather pore over list upon list,groaning at the value of some long lost album i lent out and never saw again or raise the odd eyebrow at how much that Hendrix album i nicked is worth rather than discover where the latest flavour of the month buys his trainers or how he takes his coffee.

dt101 said:
That's what I was afraid of to be honest...there just isn't a mag that covers everyhting there is to know....or by the sounds of it, even covers half of the stuff.

Some of the more obscure ones might be worth a try and I'll certainly give them a go. I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get hold of though. It could be a mail order job unless I can find somewhere decent that stocks them...or is prepared to stock them

as some people have said, the net has just about everything you need to know but then again a lot of the sites are written by people with let's say an interest in a particular band so a lot of it has to be taken with a pinch of salt

a few years ago i religiously bought CMJ New Music Monthly (I'm a bit of a yankophile when it comes to music) as it has a great free monthly CD and was knowledgeably written and actually did try to cover pretty much everything from folk to dancey stuff...does anyone know if it's still going as the only place i could find it was Borders or Tower in Camden

Back
Top Bottom