Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best piss take of playing live on TV

No! But I have just realised that this was not from TOTP but a Dutch show TopPop. Still the theme of the thread remains the same. The best piss take of playing live when not.

They're on down here this Summer, playing on the beach. Half-tempted but it's thirty quid, no Hugh etc. I did enjoy the current incarnation when I saw them supporting Motorhead though. Hmm. :hmm:

They're on down here this Summer, playing on the beach. Half-tempted but it's thirty quid, no Hugh etc. I did enjoy the current incarnation when I saw them supporting Motorhead though. Hmm. :hmm:
Used to go to all their London gigs as a kid but never seen them without Hugh apart from the two Rainbow gigs when he was banged up down the road in Pentonville.

They were shit when I saw them at some festival in 2001. Hth.

Used to go to all their London gigs as a kid but never seen them without Hugh apart from the two Rainbow gigs when he was banged up down the road in Pentonville.
I doubt they're anything like as good as that these days - I never saw them first time round- but they still have The Bass, they play everything you'd want them to etc. I had a good jump about to them.

There was also the time that Muse all pretended to be each other, swapping instruments/roles etc. on Italian TV and no one noticed...

April the 3rd & 4th 1980 supported by Joy Division on the 3rd. I think it was their last London gig with Ian Curtis alive who fitted on stage. Also supported by UB40, The Members, Toyah and Jake Burns et al. I remember Ian Dury forgetting the word to Peaches.

So it is a live video rather than a piss take of playing live. Thanks for clearing that one up. :):thumbs:
no, it's their actual appearance. It was also the longest single to ever get in the charts, at 40 mins, so they were taking the piss all the way.

no, it's their actual appearance. It was also the longest single to ever get in the charts, at 40 mins, so they were taking the piss all the way.
So they played it for 40 minutes on ToTPs ? Their actual appearance being a live video? Where is the piss take in this or am I missing something?

Why? Who were they taking the piss out of? How long was their masterpiece on totps for?

Sothey played it for 40 minutes on TofPs ? Their actual appearance being a live video? Where is the piss take in this or am I missing something?
No, TOTP was only half an hour long, so bands only play for 2-3 minutes and instead of miming behind their gear, The Orb just played 'chess' instead. Didn't you watch it?

No, TOTP was only half an hour long, so bands only play for 2-3 minutes and instead of miming behind their gear, The Orb just played 'chess' instead. Didn't you watch it?
No I did not. I stopped watching in about 1983. So playing chess was a piss take of their pre=programed electronic music? Were they taking the piss out of themselves?

No I did not. I stopped watching in about 1983. So playing chess was a piss take of their pre=programed electronic music? Were they taking the piss out of themselves?
they were taking the piss out of the whole idea of playing live on television, just like The Stranglers were. The actual live Orb experience was immense.

they were taking the piss out of the whole idea of playing live on television, just like The Stranglers were. The actual live Orb experience was immense.
If you think so then fair enough but to me it does not look like they were pretending to play live but just create a live video.

If you think so then fair enough but to me it does not look like they were pretending to play live but just create a live video.
i don't know why you are having trouble understanding this. they didn't make a video. they are on the TOTP stage at the BBC pretending to play some kind of sci-fi chess. To take the piss out of TOTP, who nearly always made bands mime to their hits to a studio audience. They win the thread by far IMO.

Back
Top Bottom