Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best petrol only car available in a hybrid world

Aladdin

So I do know that we are all moving towards electric cars and away from fossil fuels. I hope that hydrogen will be an option though.

And eventually I will have to get an electric car... but for now I am sticking with my Toyota Yaris 1 litre petrol car.

I did have a hybrid which let me down badly during covid . It didn't survive lockdowns and the 12v battery just died..so the car would not start. I don't know how many times toyota tested it and said that it was fine...but it would regularly just not start. I had to get the AA out 4 times and had to use jump leads about 6 times. In the end I was so pissed off because the one day I REALLY needed it to bring someone to hospital...it died yet again.

So toyota said..."it needs to be driven...every day".
Well ... they should probably tell people that. Especially if people plan on not driving every day.

I love the Yaris. It's great around town. Really low mileage. Doesn't guzzle fuel. Its 100% reliable.
It just is scary on the open road
Not so much the car...but other drivers reaction when they are behind me. Especially if they're in a bigger car...mostly Audi, BMW, drivers. I have to say.
I don't feel as safe as I used to in my 2007 Toyota Auris (Corolla).

What do others feel about petrol vs hybrid / ev? And the actual life of hybrids? My first car was 9yrs old when I reluctantly traded it in.
Will hybrids be running after 9 / 10 yrs?

(Ideallly I want to find a 2019 Corolla...petrol engine..low mileage. In Ireland. If anyone spots one...give me a shout.)

😀

What to others feel about petrol vs hybrid / ev? And the actual life of hybrids? My first car was 9yrs old when I reluctantly traded it in.

i've never had anything to do with hybrid cars, but aware that an issue with hybrid buses (i've had some involvement with them, but i'm not an engineer) is that the batteries need replacing when the bus is at mid-life (the bus operator i used to work for converted a batch of them to conventional diesel rather than replace the batteries when they hit about 10 years old on the basis they couldn't justify the cost of new batteries.)

so i wouldn't be surprised if a 9 / 10 year old hybrid car with original battery pack is still ok as a car, but the batteries have had it.

i'd not heard the 'needs to be driven every day' concept - puts me further off the idea of going hybrid, i mostly work from home so sometimes don't move it for a week or more, depending on what i'm up to at the weekend and shopping arrangements.

i've never had anything to do with hybrid cars, but aware that an issue with hybrid buses (i've had some involvement with them, but i'm not an engineer) is that the batteries need replacing when the bus is at mid-life (the bus operator i used to work for converted a batch of them to conventional diesel rather than replace the batteries when they hit about 10 years old on the basis they couldn't justify the cost of new batteries.)

so i wouldn't be surprised if a 9 / 10 year old hybrid car with original battery pack is still ok as a car, but the batteries have had it.

i'd not heard the 'needs to be driven every day' concept - puts me further off the idea of going hybrid, i mostly work from home so sometimes don't move it for a week or more, depending on what i'm up to at the weekend and shopping arrangements.
a lot of vehicles regarding of the powertrain do still have a 12 V lead acid battery to provide the normal battery functiosn of any car , including Starting any IC Engine ( hence the reason ICE cars with suto stop start have tractor sized AGM 12 v batteries)

To me, two powertrains is always going to be less dependable than one. And the major gains of hybrids are in urban driving, which isn't the majority of my mileage. But then I went properly old school and don't even have a turbocharger in mine. I look forward to owning an EV when the charging infrastructure is a bit more robust - I truly believe they're the car of the future. But until then I opt for KISS.

So I do know that we are all moving towards electric cars and away from fossil fuels. I hope that hydrogen will be an option though.

And eventually I will have to get an electric car... but for now I am sticking with my Toyota Yaris 1 litre petrol car.

I did have a hybrid which let me down badly during covid . It didn't survive lockdowns and the 12v battery just died..so the car would not start. I don't know how many times toyota tested it and said that it was fine...but it would regularly just not start. I had to get the AA out 4 times and had to use jump leads about 6 times. In the end I was so pissed off because the one day I REALLY needed it to bring someone to hospital...it died yet again.

So toyota said..."it needs to be driven...every day".
Well ... they should probably tell people that. Especially if people plan on not driving every day.

I love the Yaris. It's great around town. Really low mileage. Doesn't guzzle fuel. Its 100% reliable.
It just is scary on the open road
Not so much the car...but other drivers reaction when they are behind me. Especially if they're in a bigger car...mostly Audi, BMW, drivers. I have to say.
I don't feel as safe as I used to in my 2007 Toyota Auris (Corolla).

What do others feel about petrol vs hybrid / ev? And the actual life of hybrids? My first car was 9yrs old when I reluctantly traded it in.

(Ideallly I want to find a 2019 Corolla...petrol engine..low mileage. In Ireland. If anyone spots one...give me a shout.)

😀
The 12V battery has got nothing to do with the hybrid drive system it's used for starting the engine and running the onboard electricals just like the battery in an ICE (in fact the same as in an ICE) They don't cost any more to replace than the battery in a conventional car. There is a second much larger solid state battery (144V in Mrs Q's Yaris and 216V in my much bigger Lexus) mounted over the back wheels that is purely used for turning the wheels. Its charged from the engine and from regenerative braking. Toyota offer a 15 year warranty on their cars traction battery providing their cars are serviced by their dealer network. I would imagine that this doesn't apply if it's serviced elsewhere but it gives some idea of how long they might be expected to last.
As for driving everyday both of ours will often stand for a week or more and we've had no problems starting them.

The 12V battery has got nothing to do with the hybrid drive system it's used for starting the engine and running the onboard electricals just like the battery in an ICE (in fact the same as in an ICE) They don't cost any more to replace than the battery in a conventional car. There is a second much larger solid state battery (144V in Mrs Q's Yaris and 216V in my much bigger Lexus) mounted over the back wheels that is purely used for turning the wheels. Its charged from the engine and from regenerative braking. Toyota offer a 15 year warranty on their cars traction battery providing their cars are serviced by their dealer network. I would imagine that this doesn't apply if it's serviced elsewhere but it gives some idea of how long they might be expected to last.
As for driving everyday both of ours will often stand for a week or more and we've had no problems starting them.

Yeah .
I know this.

It was the 12v battery issue that fucked up my car. It would not start.. I didn't say there was an issue with the hybrid battery. But something went very wrong with the 12v battery. I repeatedly asked for replacements only to be told the 12v battery was OK. But the same problem kept happening and the AA WHEN called out said it was an issue with the hybrids. I asked for a replacement 12v battery and the same thing kept happening. It was as if the first failure affected the electrics and the car never was reliable after that. Toyota did everything to try to figure it out but...In the end I gave up. I needed a car that worked.

I know NOW that the 12v was too small for the size car..Corolla tourer. But they didn't fit a bigger battery at the time even though I asked for one. Toyota did not help fix it. And I got very stressed because I needed a car for hospital visits and could not rely on my car. Even after I drove it every day it could be dead in the morning.

I had a toyota hybrid from 2013 to 2017 and the tourer from 2017 to 2021. And it was during covid that things went belly up with that hybrid .( a car that was fantastic to drive...but shit when it stopped working and toyota kept telling me all I needed was to drive it.)
I got so pissed off I brought it I'm to them and said swap it for whatever yaris petrol you have ..

Last edited:
I'll be sticking with petrol, my current car is a 1368cc Hyundai i30, driven sensibly it gives over 50 to the gallon. It will be either my last, or second last car.
We love our hybrids I can't imagine going back to a purely petrol/diesel car. The big gains economy wise are urban driving, Mrs Q gets 65mpg easily out of her 1500c Yaris. the Lexus despite being a 2ltr engine will return 50+mpg easily on the urban driving and up to the mid-50's on a long run. I've noticed that driving a steady 70 on the motorway it will often switch from petrol to battery for a couple of miles, it's more economical than the diesel Audi it replaced.
I'm not sure I will ever end up owning a BEV, given the fact that I am 66 and tend to buy 3/4 year old cars and keep them for 5 or 6 years, I think there's a possibility I might stop driving (or be forced to stop driving by my kids) before I get to a BEV.

i haven't owned a car in 6 or more years but i had two saturns in a row and they were excellent. the second one got 38 mpg on the highway and started every time. unfortunatley they're not made anymore.

Thank you.

I drove down to see cupid_stunt earlier in the year. Livingston to the South coast. One stop both directions. Just looked it up, 373 miles each way. It was also rush hour traffic. Reckon I'm good for a few years yet. 🤞
I think you're lying about your age, I know you're older than I am and there is no way I could do 373 miles with just one piss stop.

Thank you.

I drove down to see cupid_stunt earlier in the year. Livingston to the South coast. One stop both directions. Just looked it up, 373 miles each way. It was also rush hour traffic. Reckon I'm good for a few years yet. 🤞

Well, there you have it, I mean what sort of weirdo would drive all the way from Scotland to spend a long weekend with me, on the the Sussex coast?

Just did 360mi from holiday rental to belle-mére's with one stop and it was... Tight, with a 77 year old on board. We pulled off for one more wee break, but the queues made us just carry on.

I daren't check the mpg, we were going faster than on the way down, carrying more, and that brought us down to 39mpg (can normally get 45 out of a 2.0L). The speed limit on the French autoroutes is murder if you're impatient and actually go that fast.

We love our hybrids I can't imagine going back to a purely petrol/diesel car. The big gains economy wise are urban driving, Mrs Q gets 65mpg easily out of her 1500c Yaris. the Lexus despite being a 2ltr engine will return 50+mpg easily on the urban driving and up to the mid-50's on a long run. I've noticed that driving a steady 70 on the motorway it will often switch from petrol to battery for a couple of miles, it's more economical than the diesel Audi it replaced.
I'm not sure I will ever end up owning a BEV, given the fact that I am 66 and tend to buy 3/4 year old cars and keep them for 5 or 6 years, I think there's a possibility I might stop driving (or be forced to stop driving by my kids) before I get to a BEV.

I loved my hybrids too..
Really really loved them.

Just did 360mi from holiday rental to belle-mére's with one stop and it was... Tight, with a 77 year old on board. We pulled off for one more wee break, but the queues made us just carry on.

I daren't check the mpg, we were going faster than on the way down, carrying more, and that brought us down to 39mpg (can normally get 45 out of a 2.0L). The speed limit on the French autoroutes is murder if you're impatient and actually go that fast.
I've often done the hundred on the Autobahn, 100 miles in one hour. Coming up from Munich to Berlin I did the double hundred, for the first and only time.

Just had a hybrid as a hire car whilst ours was being repaired. Hated it. Not very efficient and cost far more than either the dirty diesel I drive or the leccy mr dovy drives

Just had a hybrid as a hire car whilst ours was being repaired. Hated it. Not very efficient and cost far more than either the dirty diesel I drive or the leccy mr dovy drives
Because we sometimes need to go into ULEZ areas we are thinking of getting hybrid. My old Golf GTD is currently giving me about 54mpg, the Golf GTE PHEV I want gives about 42mpg. I'll be able to take it everywhere, it'll cost more to run, use more fuel, but it's better, or so they tell me.

Never driven a hybrid or an electric car , might replace my Golf next year (2012 TSI) will probably do another Golf , tend to buy used , current car was 6 years old when I bought it, next will be similar & petrol.

Took my 55 year old petrol car in for an MoT the other week and realised I'd done over 7000k in it last year. Considering I live in London and use buses, tubes and trains all the time, that figure surprised me. It also starts first time every time and never missed a beat last year, apart from a puncture on the A12.

Totally off topic and irrelevant, I know. :D

Because we sometimes need to go into ULEZ areas we are thinking of getting hybrid. My old Golf GTD is currently giving me about 54mpg, the Golf GTE PHEV I want gives about 42mpg. I'll be able to take it everywhere, it'll cost more to run, use more fuel, but it's better, or so they tell me.
Surely the Golf PHEV does better than that? I do about 40 mixed in a bog standard 2.0L compact SUV, no hybrid, no turbo, no smooth aerodynamics. Plus it's a PHEV, so you get infinite mpg while on battery.

Took my 55 year old petrol car in for an MoT the other week and realised I'd done over 7000k in it last year. Considering I live in London and use buses, tubes and trains all the time, that figure surprised me. It also starts first time every time and never missed a beat last year, apart from a puncture on the A12.

Totally off topic and irrelevant, I know. :D
What make is your car Griff ?

Surely the Golf PHEV does better than that? I do about 40 mixed in a bog standard 2.0L compact SUV, no hybrid, no turbo, no smooth aerodynamics. Plus it's a PHEV, so you get infinite mpg while on battery.
That's the figure I was given. It is the overall figure, it does seem low.

You'd imagine...

I had a hybrid 1.8 corolla tourer for a few years .. it used 5ltrs petrol per 100k. Never got below that...and I tried. But it was not bad really considering it was a big car.
The insurance was cheaper than my current 1 litre engine yaris which does the same 5L /100km...and is definitely not as comfortable to drive. (But it is 100% reliable so there is that)

If I were driving every day I would revert to a petrol hybrid. They are fantastic...but only if you drive a lot.

Current search is for a pre hybrid 2019 Corolla. Or I may switch to VW TRoc 2020/ 2021.

Back
Top Bottom