Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best(?) office chair for less than £200

Been thinking about getting a new desk chair, since the shitty fake plastic leather on my current one is starting to fall apart, and oh yeah and I fucked it up ever so slightly when I assembled it, so that the seat of the chair is in fact slightly tilted, which means I have occasionally lift up the chair and rotate the base into a more comfortable position.

Generously padded armrests are essential.

Materials? Fuck fake leather/polyurethane, that shit falls apart too quickly. Why is it so hard to find a desk chair upholstered in genuine perforated leather? Car manufacturers are way ahead of the game in this area.

High back, that can fold down to a low enough angle to comfortably snooze on.

An integrated footrest would be nice, but is not absolutely essential.

Any colour, so long as it's black.

No idea where to start looking. My current chair I bought on Amazon, but I really want to avoid buying anything from there this time.

I have not regretted stumping up a bit for this Loreto chair. The ergonomic settings work very well for me, and the chap came around and did a lengthy demonstration for me, which was impressive! Wellworking are a nice company to deal with.

View attachment 227963

Elite Loreto Task Chair

I decided to take a look at the rest of their offerings out of curiousity. The prices, bloody nora! :eek: I think that chair is the cheapest one they have!

Bump, am on the hunt for suggestions because this ones a pile of shit and its falling to bits.

Even Argos are charging 100 odd quid for semi-ok looking ones so.

edit: I'm thinking the Tulip or Ergo on here?

I suspect that you are right in that anyone with an interest in flogging office chairs is bound to be pushing that angle...but that doesn't mean that the premise on which it is based is invalid. Dining chairs are not designed to be sat in for hours on end, in the way office chairs are. They usually have flat seats, which - unless you are quite fortunate in your physiology - tends to encourage slumping in the chair, and even more so if you are squinting downwards at a laptop screen on a table.

Laptop keyboards are an ergonomist's nightmare, too - their location in relation to the screen owes everything to the physical constraints of laptop design, and nothing at all to ergonomics or health. If you prop the laptop up so that the screen is at a natural eye level (which is where it should be to reduce neck strain), the keyboard's unreachable...so at the very least, laptop users will need an external keyboard (and, ideally, monitor...at the right height). While this paragraph isn't specifically about the ergonomics of chairs, it should be fairly obvious that the whole "system" is what influences posture, and therefore health. Perhaps, with an ideal computer setup, the limitations of dining chair/table are less, but I don't think we can just write the whole ergonomic thing off as a cynical income boost from office equipment suppliers.

existentialist I'm quoting from the other thread, but I think this discussion is more useful to have on this one.

Did you ask your ergonomist friend what evidence their recommendations were based on?

Because the more I look into this, the more I get the impression that it's a "science" with a lot that isn't really based on solid evidence.

Back pain unfortunately is often very difficult to deal with. And has a habit of attracting quack treatments. The acupuncturists are all over it too.

I think maybe I already posted something earlier in this thread but things that seem to genuinely correlate with easing back problems are things like making sure you remain active.

I'm actually sitting on an old wooden dining chair, like weltweit. That's because I lent my sort-of-office chair to someone a couple of years ago but haven't bothered to ask for it back, because I haven't noticed anything getting better or worse since I've been sitting on this one. I've got a feeling that there might be a problem in having a "comfortable" chair in that it encourages you to move less. For me, back problems are correlated with being sedantry for a long time.

I don't thnk I'm alone in my scepticism -

existentialist I'm quoting from the other thread, but I think this discussion is more useful to have on this one.

Did you ask your ergonomist friend what evidence their recommendations were based on?

Because the more I look into this, the more I get the impression that it's a "science" with a lot that isn't really based on solid evidence.

Back pain unfortunately is often very difficult to deal with. And has a habit of attracting quack treatments. The acupuncturists are all over it too.

I think maybe I already posted something earlier in this thread but things that seem to genuinely correlate with easing back problems are things like making sure you remain active.

I'm actually sitting on an old wooden dining chair, like weltweit. That's because I lent my sort-of-office chair to someone a couple of years ago but haven't bothered to ask for it back, because I haven't noticed anything getting better or worse since I've been sitting on this one. I've got a feeling that there might be a problem in having a "comfortable" chair in that it encourages you to move less. For me, back problems are correlated with being sedantry for a long time.

I don't thnk I'm alone in my scepticism -

I must confess that I didn't go back to "source" and try to validate the science. I took my ergonomist friend's advice at face value, and tried it - an investment of a little over £100 didn't seem too much of a risk.

Has it completely transformed my life? No. I can still slouch in my office chair, and it took me a long time to get my workstation set up so that I wasn't committing any of the more grievous postural sins.

But I had been getting, over several years, increasing pain and limited movement in my right arm, which had a lot to do with the way I would hold the arm while using the mouse; similarly, because my keyboard was too far forward on the desk (largely because I couldn't get the dining chair close enough), I was also experiencing some wrist and finger strain.

Switching to the ergonomic chair has made it a lot easier for me to sit in a more upright, less slouchy way. Coupled with a monitor stand which has my eyeline roughly around the middle of the screen, and being able to move my keyboard further onto the desk so that my wrists have somewhere to rest, there is a distinct and noticeable improvement for me in things like neck pain. The seat is adjustable, so I am able to slope it forward in a way which means my hips are not at right angles, and my legs do not bear so hard on the edge of the seat...and a decent, adjustable back rest means that I can lean back into the chair in a way which avoids slouching.

All of this is anecdotal, I realise, and no substitute for Science...but the outcomes make sense to me, at least. You may be younger than me (10 years ago, I'd have been happy perched on whatever), and it may be that your posture and overall level of fitness is better than mine, too..

Another reason for my scepticism about "ergonomics" in general is the conflicting advice you see...
You have your monitor with eyeline at mid screen, but I have mine set so eyeline is at top of screen. Google it and you'll probably find multiple sources recommending one or the other, or something else altogether.

Yeah, the guidance we got from occupational health when I worked in government was top of screen at eye level, but I've definitely seen different - I suspect as well this is from the days when screens were far smaller. When I go up a screen size next time, it'll be 'top third' at eye level.

OK, the best office chair I bought on ebay for £185, which is uncommon but as I own one, it's possible to get.

The Herman Miller Aeron. It's a design classic for a reason

It's not a gaming or lounging about chair like some of the gaming chairs you can get like the Secret Labs ones. Its specifically designed for you to be doing work, in an upright position. I don't think it can be beaten for comfort when used like this.

These chairs are nearly 1100 new but commonly go second hand for 300. If you look around and are patient you can get them under 200. Especially as there are going to be a lot of office clear-outs in the next year or so. Everything is replaceable if it wears out.

1602727648045.png

OK, the best office chair I bought on ebay for £185, which is uncommon but as I own one, it's possible to get.

The Herman Miller Aeron. It's a design classic for a reason

It's not a gaming or lounging about chair like some of the gaming chairs you can get like the Secret Labs ones. Its specifically designed for you to be doing work, in an upright position. I don't think it can be beaten for comfort when used like this.

These chairs are nearly 1100 new but commonly go second hand for 300. If you look around and are patient you can get them under 200. Especially as there are going to be a lot of office clear-outs in the next year or so. Everything is replaceable if it wears out.

View attachment 234377

My humanscale is basically a copy of the aeron. It's taken a few days to get the adjustments right but now I could and do sit in it for 8+ hours a day

We had a mix of Aerons and Humanscale Liberty chairs in the office, which is not a place known for lavish expenditure for no reason. I like both of them.

Lots of companies aren't going back to their offices, either already determined or will inevitably be in short order, so it's possible that a lot of office equipment like this goes up for sale for cheap.

Tbh I sat in an aeron and then a shop copy of an aeron the other day and it won hands down. If folk are in London then there's a place opposite the fire station by old Street roundabouts that has hundreds of second hand aerons.
I think they used to charge 300 in there but if you went in now... with cash.
If the uk had tumble weed, it’d be gathering around old st right now.

I recommend BERLMAN ergonomic high back mesh office chairs, I purchased this chair because I needed a comfortable mesh chair when I work on my computer for long periods of time. When it arrived, the assembly was easy enough to figure out. The chair itself is comfortable to sit in with some lumbar support. I am able to sit for hours without any back pains. Happy with my purchase so far!

I recommend BERLMAN ergonomic high back mesh office chairs, I purchased this chair because I needed a comfortable mesh chair when I work on my computer for long periods of time. When it arrived, the assembly was easy enough to figure out. The chair itself is comfortable to sit in with some lumbar support. I am able to sit for hours without any back pains. Happy with my purchase so far!
Thanks so much for signing up to urban75 to provide this impartial review of this product which we can all safely assume you have no financial interest in.

We had a mix of Aerons and Humanscale Liberty chairs in the office, which is not a place known for lavish expenditure for no reason. I like both of them.

Lots of companies aren't going back to their offices, either already determined or will inevitably be in short order, so it's possible that a lot of office equipment like this goes up for sale for cheap.
One of these Humanscale Liberty chairs arrived today, courtesy of work. It's used, taken out of some abandoned office somewhere, but it's now mine to keep for free. In fact they actively don't ever want it back. £730 in John Lewis.

The unions negotiated this. Thanks, unions!

Back
Top Bottom