Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best(?) office chair for less than £200

Shechemite

Be the sun and all will see you
Not sure where to place this thread so my apologies if in the wrong place.

After a very long period of being intellectually unproductive, I am now (almost) back in a position where it is worthwhile setting up a little work space in my flat.

Part of this of course is having a comfortable, supportive ('ergonomic') chair that I can sit on for long periods of time (or indeed any time at all) without causing myself pain/damage. When I was at University (some time ago) I had a chair that did/had lots of things - lumbar support, tilting that could be weight adjusted or locked etc. When googling I see a lot of models that have mesh instead of cushion (for sweat?).

I've picked up a fairly comfortable, but limited, swivelly chair from British Heart Foundation for a tenner. I'm using it for meals as well as the hard wooden chairs my dear mother gave me give me agony.

Have a birthday coming up and have asked family to club together and get me a decent chair. Been doing some research but don't really understand the territory. Any advice?

I've got one of these, it's the best I could find for reasonable money that ticks both the 'good design' and 'very comfy' boxes. You might find better if it's just comfy you want, but these are very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARLES-EAMES-STYLE-OFFICE-GLIDES/dp/B0035FQA2O

Eames%20mesh%20low%20back%20office%20chair_1.jpg

Ebay - you can get them for less than £200 there. Loads are priced higher / buy it now on ebay, but there are always loads secondhand there

cheers guys - am really keen not to get something that simply looks like it's ergonomic. really appreciate the advice :)

I got mine from that knock-off place associated with TK Maxx and, to my amazement, it's absolutely great. Apart from the bits that fall off sometimes, it's probably the most comfortable office chair I've owned.

cheers guys - am really keen not to get something that simply looks like it's ergonomic. really appreciate the advice :)
Another vote for a proper Aeron. Mine was second hand in about 2002 and it's still working well and very comfortable. Spares and how-to vids are all out there, I've replaced the seat pan without problem.

They show up in s/h office furniture shops, one on Wandsworth Road had plenty of them a couple of months ago.

Get a good s/h vitra from an used office supplies outlet. Avoid the eames licences ones as they are less supportive and more about design. Vitra are also maintainable and parts can be had easily

Get a good s/h vitra from an used office supplies outlet. Avoid the eames licences ones as they are less supportive and more about design. Vitra are also maintainable and parts can be had easily
Have seen a lot of the eames vitra stuff dye to office refurb work I have been doing, I thought they looked awful to be honest, and as you said more style over substance.

I have back problems and can recommend the Haworth Comforto 29 mesh chair. Has decreased my back pain quite significantly.
New office so new chairs - except the company has not provided what was agreed and my back has been bad all week. So my boss agreed to get me a new one of these for me.

It really depends on what your back problem is. There's a fad in my office for those plastic back supports that slip over the back of the chair. I got offered one and declined as my chair already has support built in. The el cheapo chairs the others have don't.

Back
Top Bottom