Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best moments of the Olympics, iyo?

mrs quoad

IMO:

1. Can't see much trumping Ennis coming in at the end of the 800 :D
2. Not a great fan of women's lightweight rowing, but the women's double on the podium, setting each other off in floods of tears, we're awesome :D
3. Wiggins' TT win. Because.

And maybe something track cycling / something else rowing, too. Like the state of Alan Campbell and / or the men's pair post-race, with Steve Redgrave's on-tap shoulder to cry on.

10,000m will always trump hepthalon
Dibaba and Farrar (and the US guy who came second) do it for me even though I'm ambivalent about most athletics events

Also Vicky P putting on the the turbocharge to win the keirin.

The canoe slalom, as a Lee Valley Park resident and a canoe owner, seeing that facility built it just was the cherry on the cake that we won gold there.

Ennis' kick down the home straight was a bit :eek:, and exciting at the same time. I think we were all expecting her to jog home, followed by a perfunctory bit of maths, and then a celebration - but that sprint was so dramatic!
I was watching in Vicky park, and the crowd, who were mostly sat on the grass, jumped to their feet at that point. :cool:

I was delighted beyond measure at the men's gymnastics when they were so gobsmacked at the very idea of pocketing a bronze, that the notion that the silver was stolen fro them didn't even seem to cross their minds. That was ace.

And also, I love Daddy Le Clos.

Bugger. That should have been an edit, rather than a quote. :facepalm:

I blame the general euphoria.
And the gin

With the combination of Ennis, Rutherford and Farrah all winning gold in quick succesion, I say the crowds are the biggest triumph. When Mo Farrah charged down that last 100m with the crowd pushing him along I had goose pimples. Those awesome stadiums along side the river for the rowing, the enclosed 'gladiator' style velodrome for the track cycling plus the athletics stadium all the crowds have been absolutely amazing. What a support!

I love supportive, jubilant crowds, wish I was there!

With the combination of Ennis, Rutherford and Farrah all winning gold in quick succesion, I say the crowds are the biggest triumph. When Mo Farrah charged down that last 100m with the crowd pushing him along I had goose pimples.

Me too. I know footballers say that having a big crowd behind you is like having an extra man, and last night really illustrated to me what they mean by that. It felt like the crowd was pushing him on.

Tirunesh Dibaba winning the 10,000m, very impressive.

This.
Farrar too but hey Tirunesh Diababe isn't in Team GB so she won't get the laudits from the BBC or urban for that matter.

I also feel a bit for Greg Rutherford who after pulling off a long battle against injury happens to win a gold on the night the golden girl won hers. In other years he would have had huge attention - look at Jonathan Edwards getting SPOTY for winning the hop, skip and jump. He's still dining out on that.

The Ennis/Rutherford/Farrah evening was great especially the crowd reaction to Mo's last lap.
Also yesterday it was quite something to see Oscar Pistorius line up for his first heat, not just a triumph for him but for human invention & engineering in enabling him to be there.

so far enjoyed

womens basketball france vs GB - France just won it as GB three pointer was half a second too late - great game.

16 year old first Saudi woman competitor in judo coming out sheepsihly and then losing in 30 seconds flat - she was only a blue belt and given a balck belt so she didnt stand out.

Gabby Douglas, "The Flying Squirrel," winning the gymnastics, the first black gymnast to win the individual all-around gold medal, but that aside nice to see someone really enjoying their sport, genuine smiles throughout the whole thing.

Kazakhstan winning 4 golds so far - biggest underdog winners of the olympics (so what one of them one failed a drug test a few years ago - thats standard olympics shit)

Dead heat in the womens triathlon, where both women finished to the same tenth of a second after a such a long awe inspiring endurance race run at speed - they should have both got the gold instead of some bullshit photo crap <that pissed me off
The canoe slalom, as a Lee Valley Park resident and a canoe owner, seeing that facility built it just was the cherry on the cake that we won gold there.

there was a great one when there were canoe pairs and GB got gold and silver and they all jumped in the water with their trainers... quite exciting races and the world champs got beat into 3rd

Dead heat in the womens triathlon, where both women finished to the same tenth of a second after a such a long awe inspiring endurance race run at speed - they should have both got the gold instead of some bullshit photo crap <that pissed me off>

Yes. That was great.

Me too. I know footballers say that having a big crowd behind you is like having an extra man, and last night really illustrated to me what they mean by that. It felt like the crowd was pushing him on.
I've been a part of some quite amazing crowds but nothing quite on the scale of last night. Amazing!

I also feel a bit for Greg Rutherford who after pulling off a long battle against injury happens to win a gold on the night the golden girl won hers. In other years he would have had huge attention - look at Jonathan Edwards getting SPOTY for winning the hop, skip and jump. He's still dining out on that.

It's true that in other years we'd Greg Rutherford would have been more feted. So yep, I'd agree with you there.

But Jonathan Edwards can't hep being the world record holder in his event. If I'd set a world record seventeen years ago in any bloody thing at all, I'd like to think I was deserving of some sort of regard, too. :D

It is slightly remarkable his record hasn't been beaten for so long. Even more bizarrely, the women's record was set at the same event and also hasn't been bettered since.

What the hell was going on in Germany that night?! :confused: :D

...i've liked all the pink Floyd at the olympics - someone counted four references in the opening ceremony, and then I think it was a Russian gymnast who did her floor piece to Shine on You Crazy Diamond

...adding a nice dose of dark mood music to the olympics

should really have this on before the 100 metres final

You better make your face up in
Your favourite disguise.
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart.
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters
As the cockleshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down the door.
You'd better run.

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run,
Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run.

Ruta Meilutyte winning the 100m breaststroke, Michael Phelps' medal haul and making Olympic history, Chad and Bert La Clos - loads of good stuff in the pool really.
For total rollercaster of emotions, Hosking and particularly Copeland's reaction to winning gold ("we're going to be on a stamp!") had me crying with laughter, swiftly followed by Hunter and Purchase, had me crying in sympathy (Steve Redgrave carrying them out of the boat :oops: and then John Inverdale tearing up trying to interview them); felt completely drained after all of that!

Tirinesh Dibaba winning the 10,000 metres Mo Farrah winning the 10,000 metres and when his family came on to the track and mostly when he spoke made me well up-he seemed so lovely....
Jess Ennis winning the Hepthathlon.

I love watching the female short and mid distance runners-I love how made up the USA and Jamaican women are-makes me laugh and I think if they win surely they must get sponsership from a make -up company advertising waterproof and enduring make-up:D

Obviously, Ennis and Farrah winning has been great because they both seem like such lovely people and I felt genuinely pleased for them to have had that success. However, watching the 400m winner Kirani James swap his name thing with Oscar Pistorius at the end of the race was a highlight for me. He later said that Pistorius was a very special person in their sport and it was an honour to run with him. I thought that was a great display of sportsmanship and a great moment.

We have a new winner, namely the footage of Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis going utterly batshit watching Mo Farah's win last night :D

Back
Top Bottom