Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Irish rock/pop song?

krtek a houby

Anger is Hi-NRG
Some interesting, if predictable, choices here.

Can't fault the top pick, mind.

What did they leave out, do you reckon?

Never had it down as an "ode to onanism'! :D Pleased to see Microdisney in there. Thought Horslips might feature, though looking them up i see one of their guitar intros was used for Put 'Em Under Pressure.

Really surprised that neither Redneck Manifesto nor The Jimmy Cake or Dot Creek made it in to the Alternative top 50.

Seems to be some genuinely good things going on in Irish music at the moment (despite the plethora of Fontaines DC copyists and Bono’s kids are in a band) outside of the drone folk thing ( which I’m not into at all) lots of little bands here in Monaghan with a wide variety of influences.

Nice to see further proof that the Cranberries are a top 50 band of all time. I was wondering if my instinct to include Kneecap was just like present-day bias, but given how many repeat entries there are in there I reckon they could've chucked one of the repeat artists out to make room for some Kneecap. Especially cos it doesn't look like it includes much Gaelic language stuff as it is?

If you're going to have Sunday bloody Sunday then the lennon version - which is rather harder hitting - should be in there. And if you're going to have folk and ballads then some version of mcalpine's fusiliers should be in there, imo. and the absence of any rebel song really stands out. Maybe men behind the wire or something by the irish brigade. And of course fields of athenrye. Give it a year or two and kneecap will be in there as well.

Oh and no Christy Moore or planxty? Really? No viva la quinta brigade or ordinary man? For shame.

I just watched three different tv shows - in the last week - all of which used Zombie by The Cranberries. It seems to be the song of the moment for tv show creators. Me? Not a fan.

Last edited:
In no particular order, I think I would have to go . . .

Suspect Device - The "FIngers"
Feed Me With Your Kiss - The "Valentines"
Can I Touch You - The "Blood's"
Teenage Kicks (obvioulsy) - The "Tones"
Twinkle - The "Whips"
Pride - The "2's"
Yellow Pearl - The "Lynott"
The Rocker - The "Lizzes"
Thunder And Lighting - The "Thins"
Potato Junkie - The "?'s"
Big Decision - The "Petrols".
Genius Move - The "Emote's"

In no particular order, I think I would have to go . . .

Suspect Device - The "FIngers"
Feed Me With Your Kiss - The "Valentines"
Can I Touch You - The "Blood's"
Teenage Kicks (obvioulsy) - The "Tones"
Twinkle - The "Whips"
Pride - The "2's"
Yellow Pearl - The "Lynott"
The Rocker - The "Lizzes"
Thunder And Lighting - The "Thins"
Potato Junkie - The "?'s"
Big Decision - The "Petrols".
Genius Move - The "Emote's"
Celtic symphony by the tones

A decade or more ago, we seemed to hear it everywhere in Bali, on the radio or local bands covering it.
Your anecdote reminds me of 'Boston Rose' -

Theres a song we sang all summer in the bars in Dublin town
I can hear it on the factory radio
And the feeling I remember when I here that simple tune
Make me wonder if it really happened so
For we laughed and loved together 'till the summer days were gone

FOS Brothers. Been around for yonks. Based in Devon these days. "Without Reason" their best CD. Really like their versions of "Spanish Lady" and "Tipping it up to Nancy". And the rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom