Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best film of 2019

ska invita

back on the other side
I don't think I've seen a single film this year...any recommendations for something recent and genuinely very good? I get more in the mood for films during winter months

I've heard the Lighthouse was great...same director as The Witch (Robert Eggers), which I did rate.

Film-Review-The-Lighthous-e1571273524462.jpg

I remember people liking that other black and white one set in Cornwall - googled it - Bait. That would make a good double bill with the Lighthouse perhaps. Simliar look at least

1100.png

On a shlockier level I saw a poster for a crocodile film that looked quite fun - Crawl

crawl-movie-2019.jpg

(ETA just realised Lighthouse and Bait aren't on DVD yet, so no good torrents till January )

Last edited:
The only 2 films I've seen this year are Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon and The Secret Life of Pets 2, both of which were better than their predecessors. There's talk of watching Frozen 2 this weekend.

I have a suspicion that I may be missing out on some films...

Seen a LOT of films this year and these were my highlights:
Bait
Adam
Beanpole
Greener Grass
Monos
Hail Satan!
Thunder Road
Booksmart
Mid90s
Amazing Grace
Beats
Being Frank
That Teddy Pendergrass doc
Maiden
Us
Border
Stan & Ollie
The Rider
Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse
If Beale Street Could Talk
Aniara
The Raft
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
First Reformed
The Favourite
Three Identical Strangers

If I had to pick a favourite, I'd go for Beats, but that's because it's so personal and speaks to my misspent youth

Really looking forward to The Lighthouse, it’s only just coming out in Germany and I may make a rare visit to the cinema for it. Crawl was watchable but after a good set up, it hits all the expected beats. The Australian Rogue from 2007 still is my favourite giant croc movie.

On the whole I haven’t been that impressed by the films of 2019 but then there are a lot of acclaimed films like Parasite which I haven’t yet seen. A lot of the smaller films get released in Germany months after they’ve come out everywhere else and then I’ll have to get myself to a cinema where they don’t play a version which isn’t dubbed.

I liked Midsommar a lot but not as much as Ari Aster‘s previous film Hereditary.

The new film which so far has impressed me the most this year is S. Craig Zahler‘s Dragged Across Concrete, a better Tarantino movie than the actual Tarantino movie of 2019. It’s a controversial film which walks up right to the edge and casting Mel Gibson as a racist, abusive cop who occasionally has a point, is a deliberate provocation. It’s an impressive piece of filmmaking though and ultimately its redeemed by the fact that the movie ends up rooting for its two main black characters the most. The movie features several catchy songs which I assumed were vintage soul classics from the 70s that I’d just never heard before, but they were written and performed especially for the movie by The O‘Jays and the director.

My absolute favourite movies were all old films which I’d revisited after a long time. Highlights were Klute, two early Wim Wenders films Kings of the Road (that one I’d never seen) and The American Friend, the 70s Canadian thriller The Silent Partner and the Josef von Sternberg movies with Marlene Dietrich, especially Shanghai Express and Dishonoured.

Last edited:
Bait
Adam
Beanpole
Greener Grass
Monos
Hail Satan!
Thunder Road
Booksmart
Mid90s
Amazing Grace
Beats
Being Frank
Maiden
Us
Border
Stan & Ollie
The Rider
Aniara
The Raft
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
First Reformed
The Favourite

If I had to pick a favourite, I'd go for Beats, but that's because it's so personal and speaks to my misspent youth

I saw Can You Ever Forgive Me ? last year but it was probably my favourite movie of 2018 after Roma. I can’t remember two characters I’ve identified more in recent years (the bitterness of queer middle age) and some of it was shot in my favourite New York bar.

Last edited:
Being Frank -touching , superbly put together labour of love about Chris Seivey/Farnk Sidebottom
Sword of Trust - dry , funny offbeat tale about a conspiracy theory
The Man who killed Hitler and Bigfoot- myth, memories and a relationship that could have been
Stan and Ollie - poignant well acted and very enjoyable

Bait
Adam
Beanpole
Greener Grass
Monos
Hail Satan!
Thunder Road
Booksmart
Mid90s
Amazing Grace
Beats
Being Frank
Maiden
Us
Border
Stan & Ollie
The Rider
Aniara
The Raft
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
First Reformed
The Favourite

which of those are documentaries? I saw The Raft as it goes...that was really interesting

which of those are documentaries? I saw The Raft as it goes...that was really interesting
Maiden
If You Don't Know Me
Being Frank
Amazing Grace
Hail Satan!

(one of these is a lie)

There was also a very good film on Ursula Legion, which I think is on iplayer right now

Bait
Hitsville: The Making of Motown
The Irishman
IT MUST SCHWING! (story of blue note records)
Amazing Grace
Inna Da Yard
Stan and Ollie
Joker

The only 2 films I've seen this year are Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon and The Secret Life of Pets 2, both of which were better than their predecessors. There's talk of watching Frozen 2 this weekend.

I have a suspicion that I may be missing out on some films...
Trust me frozen 2 isn't going to win this thread, unless you are under 8.

Trust me frozen 2 isn't going to win this thread, unless you are under 8.
Not just 8 year olds. Frozen has a large queer following and Elsa is often understood to be coded as gay. She is the only Disney princess not to have a love interest and the whole thing about her having to be in the closet about her powers is played like a metaphor for being queer. The most famous scene of the movie basically is a coming out moment, complete with a fabulous make-over. This has created a lot of online debate and controversy and Jesus freaks have called for boycotts.

Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor

Last edited:
Frozen 2 doesn't expand on any of that stuff though, and it doesn't have any catchy music (this could be considered a positive).

Frozen 2 doesn't expand on any of that stuff though, and it doesn't have any catchy music (this could be considered a positive).
I didn’t think it would and I’m ok with that. I read reviews which disagree on the lack of catchy music though.

I've liked this year;

Joker
Rocketman
Midsommar
High Life
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I loved Roma but not sure when it came out.

I think it hasn't been a vintage year cinematically

Loads of goods music docs this year judging by the lists on here

I spot:
Lisbon Beat
Amazing Grace
Inna Da Yard
We Intend To Cause Havoc
Being Frank
Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don'T Know Me
Studio 17: The Lost Reggae Tapes
That 50 years of Blue Note documentary

Also
Rocketman
Was the Freddie Mercury thing this year?

Loads of goods music docs this year judging by the lists on here

I spot:
Lisbon Beat
Amazing Grace
Inna Da Yard
We Intend To Cause Havoc
Being Frank
Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don'T Know Me
Studio 17: The Lost Reggae Tapes
That 50 years of Blue Note documentary

Also
Rocketman
Was the Freddie Mercury thing this year?
There's also the Beyonce (Homecoming) and Kanye (Jesus is King) documentaries. No idea if they're good...or if they're even documentaries.

A fella I work with said the Kanye one was confusing and he didn't really get it. He said it's like an extended music video. :hmm:

My top 10 (in no particular order):

Sorry to Bother You
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Happy as Lazzaro
Eighth Grade
Birds of Passage
Transit
Bait
Midsommar
Monos
Us

Back