Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

I knew it was one of the houses but wasn't sure witch. it was the front basment area right or is that also a hallucination?
No,it was the kitchen,I'm not sure if you remember it had a platform bed in it,the arse slashing scene was first floor bedroom which our kiwi friend (not me the other one) inhabited at the time.

ahhh

well this is a useful indicator that at least if i ever got dementia i wouldn't notice the difference

so wait which rock band was it that staid with us? nervana?

Has no-one mentioned 'Brief Encounter' yet?

And, of those gritty Northern films of the 50s/early 60s, 'A Taste of Honey' and 'Room At The Top' are two of the best.

And another vote for 'A Man For All Seasons'....

Threads is the best British film I've seen in ages. Decided to watch it on my own after a heavy weekend of techno. I needed some serious kitten stroking time afterwards.

London to Brighton
Theatre of Blood
Room for romeo Brass
Nuts in May
Long Good Friday
Witchfinder General
Clockwork Orange
Secrets and Lies
Get Carter
Sexy Beast
Scum
The Firm
Peeping Tom
Wicker Man
Life of Brian
Withnail and I
Quadrophenia
This is England
Trainspotting
If...
Performance
A Matter of life and Death
The Red Shoes
Kes
Don't Look Now

We make some ruddy bloody good films in this country - makes me come over all patriotic.
Gawd Bless you Ma'am

We do a good line in odd films like 'The Draughtsman's Contract' and 'Orlando'.

It's kind of reassuring that no-one likes 'Chariots of Fire'.

Oh Lucky Man! is a magnificent mess of a film. I like magnificent messes.

And thinking of Helen Mirren :oops:, I think The Cook the Thief, His Wife and her lover is a great film. Maybe it's not appreciated so much here because Greenaway isn't a very British filmmaker, if that makes sense.

He comes from a very British avant-garde tradition of the late 70s, that also includes the likes of Derek Jarman and Sally Potter. Rejecting motion and more comfortable with static tableaus that quote high art wherever he can, for me he represents something about a bourgeois British suspicion about film as an art form.

Back
Top Bottom