Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

Trainspotting is a fantastic film. Lock Stock, however, is one of the worst films I have ever seen. Really awful tripe.

My votes go to The Day of the Jackal, Scum and Quadrophenia.

I saw Get Carter for the first time recently, that was pretty good. Red Road is also a good recent film as is N.E.D.S.

i did a quick google and here are ones that i appreciate that are mentioned

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Dr No (bond)

Dracula (hammer)

apparently this fight scene was improvised!

Walkabout

The Long Good Friday (i'm only including this as part of it was filmed in my house... i think peterkro might know more... i may be misremebering)

2001: A Space Odyssey (shot in britain)

holy grail
A Clockwork Orange

The Ladykillers

The Wicker Man

Brazil

Lawrence of Arabia

Withnail & i

Kind Hearts and Coronets

A Matter of Life and Death

Good call on clockwork orange and dr no

Quadrophenia - with all its flaws - still rocks my boat, as does a whole load of Ealing films.

Loved the first Sweeney feature film recently too.

not my call just a quick ggogle and a refrence to wht impacted on me

i left of stuff like kes and georges girl just as they don't resonate with me on the same level

but bond as a franchise ows itself to its actors and pinewood roots. engilsh i say

The Red Shoes.

Definitely, and by far.

Unless its The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, or A Canterbury Tale.

The best Brit movie I've seen in recent years is Skeletons, which, coincidentally, won the Michael Powell Award a couple of years ago.

What does it mean for a film to be "British"? I didn't know A Clockwork Orange was classed as British, even though it's set here.

I knew that Kubrick filmed a lot of his films here, but that doesn't make a film British, any more than Star Wars is a Tunisian film.

Dr Strangelove is down as USA/UK on IMDB. Is that a British film? If so, it's gotta be up there amongst the best British films. And also adds another blow to JC3's theory about British comedy (the biggest being Withnail and I).

Think I might need to pick up some Powell & presburger films at the weekend - my brothers been raving about the life & death of colonel blimp lately, and their other films always seem to loom large on these threads.

What does it mean for a film to be "British"? I didn't know A Clockwork Orange was classed as British, even though it's set here.

I knew that Kubrick filmed a lot of his films here, but that doesn't make a film British, any more than Star Wars is a Tunisian film.

Dr Strangelove is down as USA/UK on IMDB. Is that a British film? If so, it's gotta be up there amongst the best British films. And also adds another blow to JC3's theory about British comedy (the biggest being Withnail and I).
Production company is what counts. And finance.

Think I might need to pick up some Powell & presburger films at the weekend - my brothers been raving about the life & death of colonel blimp lately, and their other films always seem to loom large on these threads.
You do, they're pretty much all very good, and several just fucking brilliant.

You'll fall in love with Kathleen Byron.

(I'm off to a season of their war films starting this week, it's gonna be ace)

Brazil had me as a kid, but I overdosed as it was the only video that I owned apart from Infected.

'The Knack and How to get it' was also a favorite, but to be fair it's probably actually shite.

It's complicated with British films that were entirely or co-funded with US money. Mind, Kubrick didn't just shoot most of his films here, he lived here and most of the people working on his films were British. With a film that takes place in the UK with an almost entirely British cast and crew, it's fair enough to class it as a British film, even though most of the money came from the US.

The Red Shoes.

Definitely, and by far.

Unless its The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, or A Canterbury Tale.

The best Brit movie I've seen in recent years is Skeletons, which, coincidentally, won the Michael Powell Award a couple of years ago.

There are at least six Powell and Pressburger films that should be on any best British film list, though my favourites are Black Narcissus and I Know Where I'm Going

just noticed title.

recent British films I've liked

Skeletons

Sound It Out

both small budget, both excellent. Catch them if you can :)

Some recent (last decade) British films I liked:

Fish Tank
Children of Men
Kill List
Moon
Weekend
Monsters
My Summer of Love
Submarine

Maybe not my favouritist but up there, are of the top of my head...

Dead Mans Shoes
Twin Town
Scum

Sound It Out

The documentary? I always forgot about docs when doing lists like these.

I saw one a few years ago which is incredibly sad, but a good watch. The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off.

Geordie guy with a horrible debilitating disease and how he copes with it.

The documentary? I always forgot about docs when doing lists like these.

I saw one a few years ago which is incredibly sad, but a good watch. The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off.

Geordie guy with a horrible debilitating disease and how he copes with it.
Sound It Out is really worth watching :)

Back
Top Bottom