Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Battersea Power Station, Nine Elms and Vauxhall - redevelopment plans and news

I haven’t visited it yet, but as someone who has commuted past it for decades, I have been long yelling at clouds and to anyone who’d listen that the way the building has been entombed on three sides by residential buildings blocking the view of everything but the chimneys is a cunting disgrace. And surely in breach of one or several legislations governing listing buildings and protected views that are rightly applied to other building projects in London.

I get the fact that multiple past development projects had collapsed, and that perhaps the only way for anyone to commit to any restoration work rested on the development of adjacent land. But if that really is the case, I’d much rather they’d let the building be, rather than make it invisible from most angles just so the inside is restored to become a glorified mini Westfield.

I haven’t visited it yet, but as someone who has commuted past it for decades, I have been long yelling at clouds and to anyone who’d listen that the way the building has been entombed on three sides by residential buildings blocking the view of everything but the chimneys is a cunting disgrace. And surely in breach of one or several legislations governing listing buildings and protected views that are rightly applied to other building projects in London.

I get the fact that multiple past development projects had collapsed, and that perhaps the only way for anyone to commit to any restoration work rested on the development of adjacent land. But if that really is the case, I’d much rather they’d let the building be, rather than make it invisible from most angles just so the inside is restored to become a glorified mini Westfield.

I get your frustration, but as I understand it, there were many compromises to be made to effectively make the whole project happen. Its disappointing that views of the power station other than from the river side have pretty much gone - but then pressure for development around Battersea/Nine Elms is such that these would largely have gone even if a gap was left at the time the station itself was refurbished. Planning is often a matter of judgment rather than science, so while its not ideal from the point of view of the significance of the building it has provided a new use for it.

Ironically - the building was in a very bad state partly due to the effects of previous refurbishment projects starting but then stalling.

Planning is often all about money, which is why there is very little "affordable" housing with these developments. In order to comply with planning etc. The affordable housing is often built miles away from the development.

It really is a waste of the space. It's great that you can walk around the building outside...and that's about the only positive. When you're inside you could be anywhere which is such a waste of the building and the location. There don't even seem to be any places inside where you get a view outside? apart from the extortionate lift and maybe one bar? Just a soulless Westfield.

Went up Lift109 at BPS today (it was a Christmas present). The view from the top is OK, but you only get 8 minutes up there. The staff were bored out of their minds and completely unenthusiastic to the point where the bloke showing us into the audio visual experience, which you have to endure before you go up in the lift, said "you'll need to move around a bit, as it's quite boring". He was right.

DSC_7288.jpg
The lift shaft

DSC_7266.jpg
The view from the top
Some more photos here: Battersea Power Station

The 'views' (glimpses) of the Power Station from anywhere other than the north bank of the river.

From Prince of Wales Drive (SW)

Battersea Power Station by Roy Reed, on Flickr

From Battersea Park Road (SE)

From the middle of Chelsea Bridge

From the south end of Chelsea Bridge

From Queenstown Road (Battersea Park)

Went last week while in London. Food place (The Arcade) was shit. Same shops you get everywhere. Got some free stuff from the Lego shop. Play park is slightly better than most local parks. Daughter loved it though preferred the one near the Eye by the Spanish Civil War monument.

When I went to look around the derelict site way back in 2006 (?) for an 'open day' we weren't allowed in the Control Room which was big disappointment.

I'd love to have a closer look.

How did you get in to the control room; was it part of the lift experience?
No, it was part of a tour. My wife spotted they were doing a few in the lead up to Christmas. I think they've all been fully booked now. We only had about 6 or 7 minutes in the control room, but it was worth it.

It's normally only open for private events.

No, it was part of a tour. My wife spotted they were doing a few in the lead up to Christmas. I think they've all been fully booked now. We only had about 6 or 7 minutes in the control room, but it was worth it.

It's normally only open for private events.
Bugger, can't think how we missed it. Like Leafster we got inside the shell prior to the developement.

20240918_175611.jpg
20240918_142623.jpg

20240918_143307.jpg

Went inside for the first time this week. I'm probably not the best critic, as I loathe shopping centres.

Once inside, you could be in any windowless shopping centre. The photos make it look bright, it was really dimly lit.
Did buy some kiwi berries in M and S.
Did one circuit of one floor and escaped to the sunshine.

The outside was being well used. Lots of deckchairs and surprisingly comfy fake topiary sofas. Great place to sit by the river and eat your kiwi berries.

We went a couple of weeks ago as people had told me it was worth visiting. It's not. Unless you like shopping centres. Will not be going back.
Hideous temple to the gods of retail.

Real shame as it's a lovely building, they could have done something better and more community-centred with it.

Back
Top Bottom