Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Battersea Power Station, Nine Elms and Vauxhall - redevelopment plans and news

The decision to put additional accommodation there was made by the developers and the planning authority.

Someone then got paid to design this, and I think they didn't do a bad job.

But presumably you'd rather they'd actually just put some portakabins up there?

I'd prefer people didn't vandalise beloved landmarks for profit.

As if the fucking planning authority came up with this. It's London, the 'planning authority' is a rubber stamp on a bit of string.

I'm not sure Peabody are that social any more. As soon as a tenant moves on from the Shaftesbury, they flig the place off for hundreds of thousands. Also by the railway at the junction, they flogged off the entire estate for redevelopment and kicked all the tenants out. That redevelopment has stopped and started a few times .Screenshot_20230105-174555.png

For a long time now, all the promotional stuff in Wandsworth has been biased towards young, white, fit and affluent people. If you are elderly, from an ethnic minority, have a disability Wandsworth doesn't feel very welcoming anymore.

I'd prefer people didn't vandalise beloved landmarks for profit.

As if the fucking planning authority came up with this. It's London, the 'planning authority' is a rubber stamp on a bit of string.
Whatever the nature of the interaction between the planning authority and the commercial interests behind the development, it's here that the decision to add extra accommodation on top will have been made.

Not by the people who did the work of designing the details of what it looks like, whose pay you apparently want to slash. And while undermining their pay and conditions, you denigrate their skill and experience too.

Absolutely typical urban75 - trampling all over the interests of workers in the rush to spew forth righteous and hackneyed rhetoric.

Whatever the nature of the interaction between the planning authority and the commercial interests behind the development, it's here that the decision to add extra accommodation on top will have been made.

Not by the people who did the work of designing the details of what it looks like, whose pay you apparently want to slash. And while undermining their pay and conditions, you denigrate their skill and experience too.

Absolutely typical urban75 - trampling all over the interests of workers in the rush to spew forth righteous and hackneyed rhetoric.
The overwhelming interest in the power station and the majority of developmental is profit.

I did - they'd only opened that week, it was a sunny day, so we gave it a punt. They hadn't worked out how to make it a smooth visitor experience, a slightly pointless sons et lumieres experience in a small room, which might be alright if I was 15 and eaten shrooms, but I hadn't. Lift itself is good but you have 8 minutes at the top (hence the maddening stop start queuing experience). View is great. But you can't see the Power Station as you're part of the view.

How much was it? How long did you have to queue and wait for? Thanks.

Enjoy. If driving, the parking can be a nightmare, even for me and I have permits for everywhere! 5 minutes away, Bradmead where the building site is might provide a space.
This must be one of the few pubs in Battersea that I have not yet tried and been meaning to for years. The food is probably better than the power station The Duchess Belle | Belle Pubs & Restaurants

Reactions: tim
I did - they'd only opened that week, it was a sunny day, so we gave it a punt. They hadn't worked out how to make it a smooth visitor experience, a slightly pointless sons et lumieres experience in a small room, which might be alright if I was 15 and eaten shrooms, but I hadn't. Lift itself is good but you have 8 minutes at the top (hence the maddening stop start queuing experience). View is great. But you can't see the Power Station as you're part of the view.

The bloke on the boat trip recommended going up the Shard, because it was the only place in London you couldn't see the damn thing.

I was in London for 12 weeks in 78, a month in 84, 18 months to 1990, and in those time intervals, you could see the change. I wonder what a 1939 Londoner would make of it now?

That's good. And at £18, good value.

Rather expensive compared to other travel in London, but if you have a Freedom Pass/60+ Oyster Card or other UK senior concession travel pass, then ticket prices are 50% of full fare which makes it a bit better value.
I'd definitely do it as a feature of a day out even at full price because it is lovely to travel on the river, but it's not the most cost effective way of getting from A to B.

Rather expensive compared to other travel in London, but if you have a Freedom Pass/60+ Oyster Card or other UK senior concession travel pass, then ticket prices are 50% of full fare which makes it a bit better value.
I'd definitely do it as a feature of a day out even at full price because it is lovely to travel on the river, but it's not the most cost effective way of getting from A to B.
If you are comparing the cost to other means of transport, yes it is expensive. If you consider in terms of seeing London from the river, it's not.

I'm looking at the 'London from the river' perspective.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom